cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift awful jerky movement with NVIDIA RTX 2070 Max-Q

Mistryl
Explorer
I'm relatively new to VR, and after checking the recommended specs for Oculus Rift (original one, not Rift S) I purchased a HP Omen with an NVIDIA RTX 2070 Max-Q graphics card. The laptop has an i7-9750 processor, 16GB RAM and SSD, so it should easily meet the requirements of the rift. But when I plugged in the rift for the first time I'm getting tonnes of jerky movement and lag when moving my head or controllers around. The screen on the laptop is also doing the same when using the Rift. All I've done so far is the tutorial and tried to navigate the home room, but it's completely unusable. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm completely at a loss as to why this would be the case.
12 REPLIES 12

RattyUK
Trustee
The Max-Q is a 'cut-down' version of the GPU - but still should be able to give you a pretty reasonable experience (my laptop is pretty good with a generation earlier).
That said, for the first half minute or so, on the laptop, it seems to be doing 'catch-up' and stutters before settling down and behaving.
Stupid question - do you have an alternative USB port available to try (a powered USB Hub would be nice too) just in case it is a simple data bottleneck.
I'll wish you luck - laptops are very much hit-and-miss in VR, even those sold as VR Ready.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Mistryl
Explorer
Thanks for the tips #RattyUK, I'll certainly give them a go. I noticed that the GPU pretty much goes straight up to 100% usage once I launch VR, is this normal or is it a sign that the GPU can't handle the load?

Mistryl
Explorer
For anyone else who maybe reading this and having similar problems, managed to fix the issue by altering the PhysX settings in Nvidia Control Panel. It was set to automatically select between CPU and GPU and was clearly doing a bad job! Switched it to GPU only and VR experience was as smooth as can be! Phew, didn't waste all that money on the laptop after all!

trek554
Adventurer
 That makes no sense whatsoever as that setting has absolutely no bearing on anything other than a game that uses hardware physx. And you can probably count on one hand the number of games that have used hardware level physx in the last 6 or 7 years. And in fact of those couple of games they will typically not even let you use the full hardware level physx on the cpu anyway and will just grey out the option in a game or simply run reduced effects. And I am not aware of any VR games that uses hardware physx. Bottom line is what you are describing as a "fix" for your VR games is in no way shape or form any kind of fix at all other than coincidence. 
WIN 11 | 13700KF | MSI MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI | G.SKILL 64GB 6400MHZ CL32 | GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | SEASONIC FOCUS GX-1000

Netheri
Rising Star
That lag and stutter is there every time i and a few other users in the forums put the HMD on and the Home starts. Workaround is to restart the VR system from the desktop apps "Beta" tab. (Yes it works even if you're not in PTC.
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

RattyUK
Trustee

trek554 said:

That makes no sense whatsoever as that setting has absolutely no bearing on anything other than a game that uses hardware physx. And you can probably count on one hand the number of games that have used hardware level physx in the last 6 or 7 years. And in fact of those couple of games they will typically not even let you use the full hardware level physx on the cpu anyway and will just grey out the option in a game or simply run reduced effects. And I am not aware of any VR games that uses hardware physx. Bottom line is what you are describing as a "fix" for your VR games is in no way shape or form any kind of fix at all other than coincidence. 

But, if it worked for him, he can't be wrong, surely?

It may not work for you, but that isn't at all unusual, is it?
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

trek554
Adventurer

RattyUK said:

trek554 said:

But, if it worked for him, he can't be wrong, surely?

It may not work for you, but that isn't at all unusual, is it?

That setting has nothing at all to do with any VR games...
WIN 11 | 13700KF | MSI MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI | G.SKILL 64GB 6400MHZ CL32 | GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | SEASONIC FOCUS GX-1000

Anonymous
Not applicable
trek554 I think you are wrong about this one. Physx is used extensively in the Unreal 3 and 4 engines. Maybe not hardware Physx but nevertheless there are many many reports about this option effecting gameplay across the board in UE games.  I can speak from personal experience that this setting absolutely does make a difference.

I have a 2080TI and never had problems with stuttering until Asgards Wrath. It was very noticeable. I read this page and changed this setting from auto to the card and the stuttering went away. You can actually toggle the setting while the game is running so it is very easy to test it for yourself.  The consensus is that it should be set to the card unless you have a powerful enough CPU in which case it doesn't matter.

trek554
Adventurer

trek554 I think you are wrong about this one. Physx is used extensively in the Unreal 3 and 4 engines. Maybe not hardware Physx but nevertheless there are many many reports about this option effecting gameplay across the board in UE games.  I can speak from personal experience that this setting absolutely does make a difference.

I have a 2080TI and never had problems with stuttering until Asgards Wrath. It was very noticeable. I read this page and changed this setting from auto to the card and the stuttering went away. You can actually toggle the setting while the game is running so it is very easy to test it for yourself.  The consensus is that it should be set to the card unless you have a powerful enough CPU in which case it doesn't matter.

a game engine using physx for its physics engine has NOTHING to do with what is being talked about. that setting in the control panel is ONLY for hardware accelerated level physx. a game using normal physx for physics will run everything in software which is only done on the cpu anyway. the ONLY way this setting could be having any impact in a game with no hardware physx is if something is completely borked somewhere.