cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest Link - as good as a Rift?

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I am really worried that we may have to start "managing expectations" regarding what the Quest Link performance can achieve. I see the same old "over hyperbole" from the usual suspects on forums, and not helped by messages like these in the media:

ms8t2c2zdkei.png

https://venturebeat.com/2019/11/03/oculus-link-beta-what-to-expect-from-linking-pc-and-standalone-vr...
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
140 REPLIES 140

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

kevinw729 said:

Yeah, that halo strap that Sony invented and licensed to Samsung and Lenovo (and others) has been a revolution, and was originated for headset design some 26-years ago.

q7hd47q67kmt.png

I much prefer the Halo design unless you don't mind going bald quicker. Anything rubbing on your hair like with the overhead CV1 strap is not good for the hair 😛

inovator
Consultant
A few reviewers said it was a good experience. A few even said they liked the visuals better for the darker blacks etc. I believe it will work close enough to the rift s. It will be harder for many vr enthusiasts to own both. Comfort is important though. On my quest I use a comfort strap that helps but the rift s is still more comfortable. That being said if the quest link  has close visuals to the rift s I probably would not have bought my rift s. 

ohgrant
Superstar
  Of course time will tell but I'm thinking them saying "Quest is basically a Rift now too" is a fair statement. I've been streaming to the quest via Riftcat and for many things, I'm pretty impressed. Many games look better streamed to the Quest than they do with my CV1 and original Vive. Borderlands in particular is so much better on the Quest. Games with higher textures look great until I start walking. I'm optimistic the cable will be wonderful but I'm sure there will be some issues at first. 
 For me the Quest link cable and update doesn't have to be better than Rift-S it just has to be better than my CV1 and Vive. Then the cameras can come down 

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

kevinw729 said:

I just can't help feeling for Lenovo in all this - even though they get a bit from Quest fabrication. I just read they have cut their VR development group, (just a matter of weeks after Xiaomi), and are also privately looking at their options in the VR space beyond Rift-S. Yet another bridge starts to smolder!

Seems like Lenovo is busy doing other stuff  B)

3jhxq4om1e2d.jpg
zqf39dd35gtw.jpg

https://newatlas.com/vr/lenovo-thinkreality-ar-headset/

That looks very interestimg, imagine a HMD that was clear like that around the outside like the one in that picture, then when you start up VR the clear bit around the outside went completly black, like bring down a digital black curtian, and all you could see then were the two screens immersing you in vr, it would be a step up from the inclosed box HMD we have at present.
I want one...now. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

kojack
MVP
MVP

OmegaM4N said:

then when you start up VR the clear bit around the outside went completly black, like bring down a digital black curtian

If it had pixels rather than just a whole panel on/off like lcd shutter glasses, then you could combine it with the wave guide based additive light AR displays to provide a black base. The problem with displays like on the Hololens and Magic Leap is that they work like a projector, you can't make anything darker. You can't draw black over the environment, you can only make everything else brighter. But with a monochrome LCD backing, it can block the light where required.

Actually AR has one advantage that I hadn't really thought about: much less likely to have motion sickness. I had a Magic Leap developer use my Go last week and it affected him pretty strongly. Since Hololens/Magic Leap style AR is mostly real world view with no digital artifacts (framerate, latency, eye accomodation, etc), it doesn't mess with people's brains as much. The low FOV helps with that, even if they wanted to cover everything in graphics, they only have a 40-50 degree region over the much larger clear peripheral region.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bollocks to AR. I play VR to get AWAY from the real world, I don't want it intruding on my gaming again, I had enough of that happening playing games flat!!!  😄

kojack
MVP
MVP
If Oculus gave us access to the passthrough video, it would be interesting to test if a vignette of fading to the passthrough would help with sickness, letting people have a peripheral view of the real world, even if digital (and grey scale), might help ground them.
I guess I could make a test using my Zed Mini and try it on my coworkers who get VR sick.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Luciferous
Consultant
I would love AR for business instead of a screen. If you could have all of your screens virtually around you and any size it would be brilliant.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

3jhxq4om1e2d.jpg

BTW, one senior doctor told me that you always see a 25 year old man in Mercedes Benz commercials, but only men age 50+ buy these cars, because most young persons can't afford such cars. 

Now, I'm getting some gray hair too, and sometimes I can't help thinking that many boardies in here easily could join in a new club  "Old men with far too big rigs"  😄  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
It seems super sampling doesn't really provide any benefit for Quest Link due to the downsampling:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/dzaiua/using_super_sampling_with_quest_link/

Surely CV1 ss 2.0 isn't looking as great as Index ss 2.0 (=res 200%), but apart from the SDE and fov I'd say CV1 ss 2.0 isn't that far behind Index ss 1.4 (res 100%). 

I find it really hard to believe that Quest Link - if ss doesn't do anything - can look as good as CV1 ss 2.0. 

But I do get that those using CV1 ss 1.0 to 1.3 might find that Quest Link could look similarly or slightly better... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"