cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talos Principle - tough puzzles!

Wildt
Consultant
Been playing this great game on and off for quite a while, and yesterday I reached "Alley of the pressure plates", and whoaa.. It was late, and I might not have been at my sharpest state of mind, but I was clueless for 30 minutes, and then fumbling around failing for another 30 minutes.
I then found a fairly primitive solution where I spent a really long time recording myself standing on 1 plate.
I then googled it to see if my method was "normal", and found this video of an elegant quick solution, which I doubt I could've come up with regardless of how long I was given.

There's just something about those dual timelines that my brain has serious problems comprehending.
Have any of you guys done this level, and what was your solution and how long did it take you?
If the difficulty keeps ramping like this I'm gonna have to give up 😞

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb
19 REPLIES 19

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Or you can finish it and become a Mentat thus ensuring your survival when A.I. Rises!
WAAAGH!

RattyUK
Trustee
It gets tougher...
Absolutely brilliant though!
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Good to know! I love puzzlers 🙂

Wildt
Consultant

RattyUK said:

It gets tougher...

Yeah, I figured as much, but I was hoping the difficulty would level out a bit towards the end. If the time replay concept starts becoming an even more dominant element in the puzzles, I won't even bother :tired_face:

Wildt
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Good to know! I love puzzlers 🙂

It's the best puzzle game I've ever played, even if I'm gonna have to shelf it now.
The atmosphere and presentation is great, and even though motion controllers object manipulation is a somewhat unpolished, the overall VR/ implementation is solid.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

BTW, the game offers native driver Oculus support (must be set in-game). Right now I can't use CV1 in SteamVR, because I refuse to disconnect Index - and I did set the game to use native Oculus drivers before I got the Index. This means I can't start the game using Index at all - it just gives me an error. And I have not been playing the game since I got the Index. But now I just got a great idea - let's see if I can't start the game directly from Oculus Home due to the native driver support - that is without even starting SteamVR, this works in both Polybius and Borderlands 2 VR, which also have native Oculus driver support.

And then I can disable native Rift support in-game and finally try the game using the Index - because the game has full Index support including finger tracking.

But if you use Rift(-S) for the game, remember to enable native Oculus driver support in-game for optimal performance (ASW2.0) etc. The game performs great on my rig even when forcing ss 2.0 (CV1) and graphics are second to none (ok, maybe second to Lone Echo and Asgard's Wrath, lol).

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Wildt
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:

and I did set the game to use native Oculus drivers before I got the Index. This means I can't start the game using Index at all - it just gives me an error. 

Yeah, this happened to me too with the Reverb. You have to plug in the CV1 and change API back to SteamVR.

Tbh, the benefits of the resolution just didn't make up for the downsides of the controllers, the cable and the room lighting to make it worthwhile in this game, so I'm playing it with the CV1.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Wildt said:

RuneSR2 said:

and I did set the game to use native Oculus drivers before I got the Index. This means I can't start the game using Index at all - it just gives me an error. 

Yeah, this happened to me too with the Reverb. You have to plug in the CV1 and change API back to SteamVR.

Tbh, the benefits of the resolution just didn't make up for the downsides of the controllers, the cable and the room lighting to make it worthwhile in this game, so I'm playing it with the CV1.

Have you tried to start the game from Oculus Home and checked if SteamVR became active? 

With proper native Rift support, Steam games start directly from Oculus Home and do not start SteamVR. 

Fun thing, Talos Principle is one game where I can see a difference of going beyond ss 2.0 with the CV1 - but my performance goes down in the dust (or mud, lol) when I get to ss 2.5. But try to set ss to 2.0, then find a fence and now go back (zoom out) until the fence's grid becomes unrecognizable - now increase ss to 2.2 or 2.5 and - voila - the grid in the fence is visible again, it's magic 😉    

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Finally got the game working with the Index, and the hands are very impressive and there's full finger tracking. 
Also the Vulkan driver is much faster - I'm getting solid 90 fps with nearly all settings maxed and res 125% - would like 150+ %, but the game does look nice and is quite gpu dependent. This game is highly recommended for both Oculus hmds and Index (I have no experience with WMR and don't plan on getting it 😉