cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virtual Desktop beta 1.7 is amazing! (1.8 now)

BrotherO4
Protege
the beta update is amazing and bring 2 important features for us wireless users on the quest

• SteamVR streaming now uses sliced & foveated encoding. This improves image quality and reduces latency considerably
• Added multi-socket streaming to achieve higher bitrates; you can now stream at up to 150 Mbps in VR mode
• Fixed SteamVR streaming on Windows 8.1 and Windows Server which produced a black screen. Confirmed that it now works on cloud services like Parsec/Paperspace but it should work on others as well.

I am coming from AMD relive,

the image quality is a huge jump. a Big GO on that front.
anyone that has this app should give this ago with the new beta update.
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice!

G4MER-D3V1L
Protege
how do i update to this? 
I had download the app on the oculus store on my quest so to make sure i had the latest version. Then went to side quest to side load this latest from there. but now when I turn headset on it says the virtual destok has an update. I did this on Sunday so like 2 days ago. 

When did this update came out? 
just to make sure i have the install.

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer
You can ignore the message of an Update. I got the same. Just start Virtual Desktop and check the version number at the bottom of the VD window.

Meta Facebook Community Accelerator 2022 winner
Facebook Community Partner
Founder of the Meta Quest VR Familie - The largest German Facebook Group for VR and Metaverse
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusvrgermany/

nalex66
MVP
MVP
1.7 isn’t on SideQuest yet, but you can get the link to download it from the Discord (announcements section). You need to download the beta version of both the APK and the streamer.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

BrotherO4
Protege
^^^^,
note: it seems there may be some issue for Nvidia users because they cant handel splice rendering...for me i am running it smooth af. one tip is to make sure you are on a 40 mhz band and not on a 80.

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can find the beta on Git hub if you are looking. I am waiting since I see some issues being posted that need fixed.

BrotherO4
Protege

bobkbrown said:

You can find the beta on Git hub if you are looking. I am waiting since I see some issues being posted that need fixed.

its been fix but wont be pass on yet.
the fixed is in the alpha build which will move into beta once a few more things is tested.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Virtual Desktop 1.8 is now available on SideQuest. Nvidia users, make sure you turn on Sliced Encoding in the VR Settings menu for improved latency. It may not work well with all AMD GPUs, so try it and see how it is for you (it’s off by default). 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

BrotherO4
Protege
Slice works better on AMD its some Nvidia GPUs that doesnt for some strange reason but everyone should use Slice encoding. the server apps defaults to h264 and i would say switch over to HEVC. for Nvidia uses this codec is better for the image at the same bitrate but for amd is more important because it drops MS by 10.