cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest and random WIFI lost issues

JohSm67
Rising Star
Hi,

Some people are reporting that they get "Wifi connection is lost" randomly during usage! So do I....

I have not been digging to deep in to this yet.
But when checking around in forums there are some reports telling you that it might occur when you are using the same SSID on dualband (2,4 & 5 GHz) wifi routers / AP's! (Or if it's simply occuring if it switches between AP's)

I'm using like 4 Ubiquiti Unifi AP's in the house with a Cloudkey controller.
It's feels like it's working ok, have not seen this on other WIFI devices in my setup. But it could simply happen in the background on other devices. 

The Oculus Quest seems to loose the connection and reestablish it for me randomly, the closest AP is only like 2 meters from the Oculus Quest.
So it's abit annoying when information popup randomly during gameplay. (Yesterday while streaming to FB)

Any one else been experience it and found a solution for it? Known issue with Oculus?

I will test to create a dedicated SSID using the 5GHz band for all AP's only, to see if it helps and might be related to using the same SSID on 2,4 & 5 GHz.
If that do not help, I will try to use a Single AP using same SSID on 2,4 & 5 GHz, to see if it could be relate to switching between AP's.
Last test would be to use one SSID on the 5GHz band and a singel dedicated AP.

This will take some time to test as it's randomly occuring, so any other feedback on the issue from you out there would be nice!

By the way, are there any way to extract a local WIFI / Event log, from the Oculus Quest to investigate it easier?

Regards
Johan
JohSm
92 REPLIES 92

JohSm67
Rising Star
I don’t doubt that there is some issue with the wifi part on the Oculus!

But Wifi and Roaming/Mesh and beamforming might also cause some issues!

The Netgear Orbi seems to also have had some issues with dropping connections according to support notes in forums, also the Snapdragon 835 found in like Samsung S8 and Oculus Quest are mentioned to have had problems while other would work!

There should be some kind of debug page on the Orbi that might reveal more about what’s happening?
(Don’t have the Orbi my self..)

• From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  • Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  • Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  • Use Telnet from a computer attached to Orbi to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
JohSm

quantum-jr
Honored Guest
I have the same issue that others are reporting with Orbi mesh routers.  I will try some of the ideas presented above and report back if I have success...otherwise, just adding my voice to others frustrated with this issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I used Telnet and was able to rename the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz SSID so is hey were separated. It worked but only for my quest. The rest of the Orbi system wasn’t working anymore. My satellites would no longer connect and broadcast so I lost a lot of coverage in my house.  Ended up having to use telnet and make just the one SSID for the combined 5 and 2.4.  Really annoying.  Using my kid’s file hub to broadcast a separate SSID has worked.  We can have two quests connected to it playing together online with no dropping issues.  As soon as I try to connect to the main house network (Orbi) I drop wifi. This makes it near impossible to cast to my tv, which is on the Orbi network, for any decent amount of time

Hnter2200
Explorer
Double post... my B. See below...

Hnter2200
Explorer
I work in IT and can attest that the Oculus Quest absolutely is the issue. It should work with Mesh Networks that dynamically decide which Band it goes to. I have a Netgear Nighthawk XR500.

When I read the first post I Separated my 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands by naming them differently and setting 2 different passwords for each. After this I set a static IP on the headset and then I had zero issues.

Being mid-level IT, this issue is clearly either hardware (the network card being used), or... some sort of software issue the headset has with being told to switch to a different wireless band on a mesh network... using the exact same name and password for both bands to create “one” SSID.

Every single time my network dropped on the headset it had a “Network Authentication” error... which never made sense for the reasons you all have listed.

Routers that use this type of feature that intelligently decides which band that your device connects to is part of the problem.

Clearly based off of some of ya’lls posts, Mesh networks are the future and not everyone that buys an Oculus Quest is a System Administrator... so this needs to be addressed for the general public instead of having them mess with their Router’s Web UI just to get a stable freakin connection to the headset, on what is supposed to be an “easier” home networking method via the mesh network.

Hnter2200
Explorer
Just a side note to everyone here that isn’t familiar... if you separate your bands into 2 SSIDs, you are essentially creating 2 separate Wi-Fi “networks” so you have to re-configure every single device that connects to them. Not just your headset.

It just seems a lot of you are having issues with your devices when you’re creating two SSIDs to separate your 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.

2.4 is better for a steady connection further away from the AP, and 5ghz is better if you’re closer to the AP. 
(Just something I wish I knew at first when started messing with new networking stuff)

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you have a mesh network such as a Netgear Orbi you will continuously drop wifi.  This seems to be the case with any mesh network because your device can bounce back and forth between 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz or if there are 2 5 GHz it can bounce selecting the best connection.  When it does this your Quest shows that the Authentication Failed and your wifi disconnects causing you to have to manually reconnect.  There is a workaround that I found and installed today.  An APP called SWIFI will allow you to force your Quest to always connect to 5 GHz so that it will no longer auto-swithc and you won't drop wifi.  You need to have your Quest in developer mode and install SideQuest and SideQuest Launcher.  There are lots of YouTube videos on doing this.  You then need an APK called SWIFI.  You can Google it and download the APK.  With your Quest connected to your computer and SideQuest open just drop the SWIFI APK you downloaded into SideQuest and it will install on your Quest.  From the Quest go to Library>Unknown Apps>SideQuest Home and you can then open SWIFI.  Turn on SWIFI by selecting the switch in the upper right hand corner.  Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and check the box next to Prioritize 5 GHz.  This will make your Quest always pick 5 GHz over 2.4 GHz no matter what.  I was able to run multiple games, online and offline and screen cast for the entire time with no dropping of my wifi.  Before it would drop every 5 to 10 minutes and I would have to reconnect.  I hope this helps.  GOOD LUCK and happy Questing.

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer
Wifi dropping still happens here with my Quest. I already devided 5GHz and 2,4GHz by their SSIDs. I have a Repeater within my MESH Network sharing the same Informations from the Router and the Repeater. Today I separated the Repeater from the Router and excluted the Quest from its list of known devices. For now the Quest has to stay on the primar Router wifi Network. Hopefully that will help. For me it looks like the Quest has a general problem to reconnect once losing WLAN connectivity.

Meta Facebook Community Accelerator 2022 winner
Facebook Community Partner
Founder of the Meta Quest VR Familie - The largest German Facebook Group for VR and Metaverse
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusvrgermany/

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm using a TP-Link T4UH wifi dongle, set as a 5GHz hotspot, 866Mbps, with no dropouts whatsoever. I also have it running on channel 144 though, but I get the same results with channel 40. A rock solid connection.

Some things to consider though, are all the different wifi and bluetooth devices in your immediate area, and what channels they're on. Too many wifi devices on the same channel can screw things up, and bluetooth can interfere with wifi, especially the 2.4GHz band.

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer
Maybe really another device interfering with it. Since it is not every day it could be...
Meta Facebook Community Accelerator 2022 winner
Facebook Community Partner
Founder of the Meta Quest VR Familie - The largest German Facebook Group for VR and Metaverse
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusvrgermany/