New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Extension Cables Work On The Rift S!

snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,153 Valuable Player
Just thought I'd create a sister thread to the OG Rift one!

Despite the extra 1m in the cable it still wasn't long enough for me, leaving the cable between me with the headset on and my PC off the ground. And that thing is heavy, man.

I can't provide a link for the USB 3.0 extension because I can't remember who made the thing but I'm sure someone else on here can sort that out for me!

The DisplayPort extension cable is the 1.8m one found here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KRLQG2M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First time I plugged it in I saw a box with three animated dots which stayed there for ages so I unplugged the HMD first at the end of the extension lead, unplugged the extension lead from my PC, plugged the extension lead back into my PC and plugged the HMD back in again and it worked fine.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Comments

• TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 192
    Art3mis
    edited May 25
    These are the ones I tried and they seemed to work.
    I did have a black screen crash in Arktika, but I believe that was a software issue. In any case, the default cable length is enough for me and my small room.
  • dedood2008dedood2008 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    did you try it whit the rift s?
    becouse mine does not work whit a extension cable :open_mouth:
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,153 Valuable Player

I've had some intermittent black screen issues with the cable I linked above but I think this is down to the 1.38 update, I had no problems on 1.37. Sometimes it just goes randomly, other times I can trigger it by pressing the Oculus button and viewing the Oculus Virtual Desktop.

I've ordered a 10m Cable Matters extension from the States to see if that makes any difference and I'll post here when I get it on 8th July.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

NerveGear
    hey thanks for the quick response i look forwerd  to you findings 

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 594
    Neo
    snowdog said:

I've had some intermittent black screen issues with the cable I linked above but I think this is down to the 1.38 update, I had no problems on 1.37. Sometimes it just goes randomly, other times I can trigger it by pressing the Oculus button and viewing the Oculus Virtual Desktop.

I've ordered a 10m Cable Matters extension from the States to see if that makes any difference and I'll post here when I get it on 8th July.
    Same issue with the CV1 back in the day, but if it persists i suggest you try and HDMI repeater, i know this solved all my random static intermittent loss of picture issues back in the day, and 2 years on still going strong. ;)

NerveGear
    OmegaM4N said:
    snowdog said:

Same issue with the CV1 back in the day, but if it persists i suggest you try and HDMI repeater, i know this solved all my random static intermittent loss of picture issues back in the day, and 2 years on still going strong. ;)

the rift-s has only displayport but a repeatersounds like a plan
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,824 Valuable Player
    edited November 11
    snowdog said:

@snowdog , or anybody -  how did you get on with this 10m cable?

10 metres?   :o
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,586 Volunteer Moderator
    I think he set it up ok Andy but cannot be sure ;) hopefully he'll pop on here to let us know??

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,824 Valuable Player
    You've given me an idea for the office Techy...
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,586 Volunteer Moderator
    You've given me an idea for the office Techy...
    Xmas lights ?  o:)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,153 Valuable Player
    Sorry! Forgot to update this! Cable works fine...or it DID. Since I bought it the cable has died (tried it on a mate's PC since and confirmed it was a problem with the cable itself and not headset-related) and it was too much hassle to fuck around getting a replacement, I basically couldn't be arsed lol :D