New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

End of an Era - GearVR Development no Longer Supported

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,811 Valuable Player
edited November 11 in General

Gear VR Update: Gear VR App Development no Longer Supported From Oculus SDK Suite 1.42 and Future Versions

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/gear-vr-app-development-no-longer-supported-from-sdk-suite-142-and-future-versions/

P6ftmuw.jpg
** New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Comments

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 682
    Trinity
    edited November 11
    i bought my galaxy s7 phone for the gear vr. i still use the phone to this day. i stopped using the gear vr shortly after getting it. i bought the cv1 and used that instead. i prefer the image in the gear vr to the image in the cv1. gear vr is crystal clear. i bought the little gear vr wand from ebay too. i was so happy. good memories. :)
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,811 Valuable Player
    edited November 11
    Since its launch in 2014 many have had solid experiences with their GearVR - it is just a shame that a built in audience of support was left in the cold, having to move away from their GVR to another system - rather than a GearVR2 release, as was prototyped (as a standalone) back in 2016.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,900 Valuable Player
    That's sad - allowing two controllers in GearVR2 and all/many Quest games might easily have been ported to GearVR2. Several GearVR apps have a higher number of ratings than any Rift game - feels like a waste not to support phoneVR, but maybe it could easily be a threat to Quest? Already now GearVR on Samsung S10 is nearly twice as fast as Quest... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    What about the ostrich?!  :'(

Some more memory pills  B)

Kinda reminds me of one of my first girlfriends, I first started to really like her and miss her after she broke up with me :blush:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,679 Volunteer Moderator
    I never got to work out if my GearVR was good. I only used it maybe twice before my phone (Note 7) was recalled. My next phone was a Note 8, which didn't fit the GearVR (because it was a Note 7 edition). So the headset was a waste of money. I didn't trust Samsung to not do the same thing with the next model, so I gave up.

Plus I didn't like the thought of letting others use a headset that had a $1500au phone sitting in the front.

edited November 12
    kojack said:
    I never got to work out if my GearVR was good. I only used it maybe twice before my phone (Note 7) was recalled. My next phone was a Note 8, which didn't fit the GearVR (because it was a Note 7 edition). So the headset was a waste of money. I didn't trust Samsung to not do the same thing with the next model, so I gave up.

Plus I didn't like the thought of letting others use a headset that had a $1500au phone sitting in the front.

I still haven't completely given up the thought of getting GearVR for my S10+ phone, I guess the above means that current GearVR titles will still be available, but no new stuff will be financially supported by Oculus. I think the GearVR 325 model should work with S10+. Because the games are of a much poorer quality that Rift, it does feel strange using a $1.2K phone to run these games, I've got the 512GB model, lots of space for games - but I just want Netflix :blush:

Maybe if I can find a cheap 325 model Black Friday... Also I was expecting some new stuff for S10 this Autumn, but haven't noticed anything yet from Samsung.

Land's End does look like fun:

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,808 Valuable Player
    I was trapped in the Apple ecosystem so I never got GearVR. But it seriously made me consider jumping ship but then I began considering PCVR. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index