cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link Release Date??

Steensey_
Honored Guest
I know Oculus have announced the release date for November but they should have been more specific as it is the start of November now as I am creating this discussion.
42 REPLIES 42

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer
Sheduled 11/2019 . No exact date.

Meta Facebook Community Accelerator 2022 winner
Facebook Community Partner
Founder of the Meta Quest VR Familie - The largest German Facebook Group for VR and Metaverse
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusvrgermany/

Kukwes said:

The beta is coming this month but the actual Link cable is coming after. So you will have to buy your own cable. Unless this changes. 

This is a good point and worth repeating, hopefully there won't be too many frustrated people saying 'where's the cable?' when Link is introduced.... then again, I predict we'll have 1 or 2 posts!

I'm sure people will be testing out various UCB-C cables so it'll be interesting to see which works for Link. I think I'll hang fire until the Oculus optical cable is with us. Would make a nice little Christmas present to myself.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has there been any minimum spec released for what USB-C Cables we can use?

There are several threads discussing this but Oculus have really just stated that 'most high-quality USB-3 cables' should work ok. We're estimating data rates of 150MBps and duplex data flow will be the prerequisites, which I'm sure covers most USB-3 cables out there but I don't think there's been a statement on that.
Oculus are producing their own cable to provide best in class performance and have a smaller cross sectional area (I think).

Edit: It's worth just reminding people that not all USB-C cables are USB-3, so that may trip one or two people up if they don't check, they'd just get a cable that's basically the same as the one that came with their Quest!

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are several threads discussing this but Oculus have really just stated that 'most high-quality USB-3 cables' should work ok. We're estimating data rates of 150MBps and duplex data flow will be the prerequisites, which I'm sure covers most USB-3 cables out there but I don't think there's been a statement on that.
Oculus are producing their own cable to provide best in class performance and have a smaller cross sectional area (I think).

Edit: It's worth just reminding people that not all USB-C cables are USB-3, so that may trip one or two people up if they don't check, they'd just get a cable that's basically the same as the one that came with their Quest!

It's actually 150Mbps (megabits, not megabites).

JoeyC132
Protege

Wait what? USB C connector with USB 3 (5gbps) ability......correct? USB c on both ends or USB C to standard USB? Why is this cable so confusing? 🙂 Seems like this is indeed being discussed but nobody really knows which one to buy

Spuzzum said:

It's actually 150Mbps (megabits, not megabites).

Correct, bytes would have been a bit of an ask! 😮

Wait what? USB C connector with USB 3 (5gbps) ability......correct? USB c on both ends or USB C to standard USB? Why is this cable so confusing? 🙂 Seems like this is indeed being discussed but nobody really knows which one to buy

Well, it's the duplex requirement that, if I understand it correctly, USB 3 is full duplex and USB 2 isn't. If it were just a data rate thing USB 2 may have been ok.

But the bottom line is, there isn't too much confusion as Oculus have said most USB 3 cables will work. It may be the case that all USB 3 cables will work. My point though, was that not all USB C cables are USB 3, so check before buying.

robert_dodge_37
Explorer
I really wish Oculus would just commit to a date instead of saying nothing or "November" There is so much uncertainty and for a company at the forefront of VR more direct responsibility is needed. I had hoped that they would have released the Beta to Coincide with the release of Stormland today but as we can see that was not the case. Also the launch of the game was delayed too due to the initial download missing all of the game files. Come on Oculus please help us out a little. Same with this delayed roll out of firmware please just allow time slots for different countries to download it manually. There I have said I piece. Artful (Rob Dodge - UK)

It's a big development in terms of what it will allow to be done. That kind if thing has a lot of testing involved that we're not aware of. Sometimes companies offering this kind of advancement just state what quarter it'll arrive.

We're just half way through the month that this was touted for... let's not get too worked up about this one. I'm certain it'll arrive within the next 2 weeks. I'm also certain it'll work with most USB 3 cables, as was also touted.

If I'm wrong then you can vent you anger at me, within the rules of the forum 😉