cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official "Books Worth Reading" Thread

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I used to be an avid reader, but over time I've found it difficult to commit to the literature being released. I figure I just must be missing out on the good stuff. Use this thread to recommend the "best of the best" that you've encountered.

I've read all but the last "Game of Thrones" (Ice and Fire) books. However, my favorite series of all time is Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind. Before that, I read a ton of fantasy and horror books, but none worth really recommending. Probably my favorite Stephen King book is Needful Things.

Any other readers out there?
152 REPLIES 152

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer

So you think prince of thorns trilogy is better than Mistborn? I'll probably look them up then.

Honestly it's close, but yes. Prince of thorns is the best series I've ever read. It's unlike anything I've read before. If your going to get that series, do yourself a favor and do NOT read nay spoilers. There are a few HUGE twists that can be easily ruined 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Prince of Thorns sounds like something I may need to read next. I am very much hunting for that "unlike anything I've read before."

I finished Book 1 of Mistborn. I was very addicted to that story and its characters. Much of it was unpredictable, and there was a very large amount of original material.

This series (and writer?) is known for the elaborate way of describing magic systems. I really enjoyed that part. Although, truth be told, about halfway through I realized that the idea of Allomancy in Mistborn is very similar to how abilities work in the world of Naruto:
  • Burning Allomantic metals is akin to using up Chakra.
  • Each "type" of Allomantic metal is akin to the various "natures" of Chakra.
  • The relationship between a Misting vs a Mistborn is similar to the relationship between someone who uses Jutsu vs someone who has a Kekkei Genkai.
  • The methods to learn and master Allomancy is very similar to mastering various Jutsu.

I'm a huge fan of the Naruto franchise so the similarities tend to stand out. But other than that, I found Mistborn to be just what I needed. I've already purchased Book 2 & 3.

Luciferous
Consultant

JeremyC85 said:

So you think prince of thorns trilogy is better than Mistborn? I'll probably look them up then.

Honestly it's close, but yes. Prince of thorns is the best series I've ever read. It's unlike anything I've read before. If your going to get that series, do yourself a favor and do NOT read nay spoilers. There are a few HUGE twists that can be easily ruined 

@JeremyC85  As we are talking about books unlike any other, have you read 'The book of the new Sun' trilogy by Gene Wolfe ? Not sure I would recommend it to everyone, it is the most strange and at the same time incredible series I have ever read. Deep and weird doesn't come close to describe it.

By the way just started Prince of Thorns.

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
No, I've never heard of it... Checking it out on Amazon now! It will be awhile though as I'm currently reading the "traitor son cycle" and have two books to go. 

Awesome that your reading the prince of thorns! Please let me know what you think 

Luciferous
Consultant
Don't want to recommend 'The Book of the New Sun' because it is so strange, not sure everybody would like it.

So far enjoying Prince of Thorns and wondering where the hell it is going, it certainly starts with an unusual protagonist.

At the moment I feel like I am following Joffrey's origin story from game of thrones lol 

Luciferous
Consultant
Ok listened the Prince of Thorns and it is a very good book. Must admit took me few chapters to get into it, as it is a very different kind of hero and I had no idea where the author was going with it. I'll definitely be getting the next two, thanks for recommendation.

Funny me mentioning Joffrey before, they actual say it is a game of thrones in the book. Not sure if it was written before or after?

RattyUK
Trustee
Harry Harrison's Deathworld Trilogy & Stainless Steel Rat Series
All of @snowdog list
All of Anne McCaffery's books...  But the Pern (Dragon) books especially...
Many of the previous mentioned here too are excellent.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Luciferous
Consultant
Anne McCaffery's I think I read those when I was a young man. The Golden Torc maybe.

RattyUK
Trustee

Anne McCaffery's I think I read those when I was a young man. The Golden Torc maybe.

One of the 'good' things about her Dragon Riders of Pern series was that much was written as a female protagonist yet didn't alienate a male reader, very subtle 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer

Ok listened the Prince of Thorns and it is a very good book. Must admit took me few chapters to get into it, as it is a very different kind of hero and I had no idea where the author was going with it. I'll definitely be getting the next two, thanks for recommendation.

Happy you enjoyed it so far!