Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

John Carmack moving to a new position at Oculus

kojack
MVP
MVP
From his facebook page:

Starting this week, I’m moving to a "Consulting CTO” position with Oculus.

I will still have a voice in the development work, but it will only be consuming a modest slice of my time.

As for what I am going to be doing with the rest of my time: When I
think back over everything I have done across games, aerospace, and VR, I
have always felt that I had at least a vague “line of sight” to the
solutions, even if they were unconventional or unproven. I have
sometimes wondered how I would fare with a problem where the solution
really isn’t in sight. I decided that I should give it a try before I
get too old.

I’m going to work on artificial general intelligence (AGI).

I think it is possible, enormously valuable, and that I have a
non-negligible chance of making a difference there, so by a Pascal’s
Mugging sort of logic, I should be working on it.

For the time
being at least, I am going to be going about it “Victorian Gentleman
Scientist” style, pursuing my inquiries from home, and drafting my son
into the work.

Runner up for next project was cost effective
nuclear fission reactors, which wouldn’t have been as suitable for that
style of work.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2547632585471243&id=100006735798590

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1194754916293722114

So it sounds like he'll be less involved with VR from now on, focusing more on AI in his personal time instead. If that's what he's interested in, good on him.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
86 REPLIES 86

kojack
MVP
MVP

Look at the description. That's the original CV1 package, that weight includes the camera and the xbox one controller.

Here's a table of VR headset weights with sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_virtual_reality_headsets

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

be that as it may its still damn heavy whatever it actually weighs

The truth shows that it is damn lighter than all the other headsets you listed. Yet your original point was that it was heaviest. Now that we know it is lightest of them all, you are still going to argue that it is "damn heavy"?

Okay then. If it is damn heavy at 1.04 pounds, then all the rest are unacceptably heavy since they weight more. What's your opinion on that?

parsecn
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

The CV1 weighs 1.04 pounds (or 470 grams). Which means it is lighter than all the other headsets you listed. Yet you tried to make is seem like the heaviest.

You could just weigh  it yourself though if you really have doubts.

For your pleasure: 
fxlzduzokeam.jpg

523g CV1 with VRCover facial interface kit accurate to 1g division. Does not include HMD cable. The standard Oculus foam interface kit is no doubt lighter. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Yep! 0.523kg brings us to 1.15lbs. Up from the original 1.04lbs likely due to the increase in weight from the pleather of the interface.
🙂

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
corrected

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Holding my Reverb in one hand and the CV1 In the other I'd say the CV1 is heavier but the cable on the Reverb is way heavier and a damn sight more noticeable when wearing.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
corrected

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

OK it is light

I can't help but notice that you won't go with the full truth though. It is not just "light" but lighter than all the other headsets you listed. Moving on though...

it it feels heavy.

That might be the case for you, but have you tried any of the other headsets you listed? Which are all heavier.

For me, I have always found the 1.04 pounds of the Rift CV1 to be completely comfortable, and as I have said since 2016, I can use it for hours (5+) and I forget that I'm wearing it. I can also use it for VR Fitness (e.g. Boxing) and it has zero comfort issues.

My 4 year old son can also use it for 20-30 minutes straight without any discomfort. Compared to say, the Quest which bothers him after 5-10 minutes. Quest bothers me after 20+ minutes as well. But the Rift CV1 and it's mere 1.04lbs is absolutely light and comfortable.

If 1.04lbs is heavy for you then that might just be a personal thing. Maybe increase your strength? Some back and shoulder exercises? I'm being totally serious!

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
corrected

kojack
MVP
MVP
I think we're getting a little off topic from Carmack moving his focus to AGI. 🙂