New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

John Carmack moving to a new position at Oculus

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,771 Valuable Player
    edited November 14
    I think VR has hit a wall until either hardware prices come down, or eye tracking tech arrives which would do away with the need for a Geforce 2080ti. A lot of people I speak to just want VR to resemble looking at a 1080p monitor. The HP Reverb come close to doing that but you need a Geforce 1080ti or a Geforce 2080ti and not everyone can afford these cards. I think VR will pick up pace again in a few years time when hopefully we will see monitor resolutions and great tracking. I think that is all VR needs to push it to the next level IMO.

It would also help if Valve and HTC put their hand in their pockets and helped out with the development of VR games. 
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,813 Valuable Player
    I see many people stating the "hit a wall" claim in forums regarding the current state of VR. I look at it as an issue of reality catching up with the hyperbole of others. We are seeing a similar situation surrounding Magic Leap, where over inflated claims, linked to major investments are coming home and the investors are looking for an exit. With regarding PC VR the situation seems to have been additionally hampered by a walled-garden approach that saw each manufacturer feel they could coral their ecosystem. I hope the next phase in consumer VR will see a more "open-platform" approach. For this phase however a lot rides on the "Standalone" aspirations of OculusVR, Samsung, Pico and others that will be launching at CES. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 686
    Trinity
    edited November 15
    corrected
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,690 Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 14

cv1 weighs 1.76 pounds (and its too damn heavy)
    the quest is 1.25 pounds in weight
    rift s 1.1 pounds
    the valve index is 1.78 pounds
    the reverb is 1.1 pounds
    the cosmos is 1.42 pounds

No, the Rift CV1 is 1.04 pounds (470g).
    The Go is 2g lighter than the CV1.

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,244
    Wintermute
    the cv1 is really heavy and i had to buy a new face plate to fit my face and it got hot and i could only use it for a short amount of time.

and im a tech savvy man whos got enthusiasm for this, i imagine a old person doing this would become frustrated. i want to say this because this is really the major problem, vr headsets like the cv1 and quest need to be extremely comfortable and have ipd adjustment available. it all comes down to the weight of the vr headset. it has to be about as half as heavy as the cv1 which weighs; 1.76 pounds, needs to be about .88 pounds.

cv1 weighs 1.76 pounds (and its too damn heavy)

the quest is 1.25 pounds in weight

rift s 1.1 pounds

the valve index is 1.78 pounds

the reverb is 1.1 pounds

the cosmos is 1.42 pounds

the vr headsets need to be about .9 pounds to be mass marketable

i point out the weight with word of beefy quest type products in the future and the manufacturers not wanting to put the portable pc on a separate belt worn accessory because of the cable. the product will go to waste because people wont wear a heavy toy on their head. old people can put up with cables and happily ignore them so the youth has to be strong too and live with the cable.

I'm sure Carmack will read this and make all the necessary changes while he's still consulting.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
    Trinity
    edited November 15
    corrected

Trinity
    edited November 15
    corrected
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,617 Valuable Player
    edited November 14
    Quoting Amazon for the real weight isn't a reliable source. Amazon is just the reseller. Your link isn't giving weight from either Amazon or Oculus, it is giving it from a reseller who is trying to dump an old CV1.

The CV1 weighs 1.04 pounds (or 470 grams). Which means it is lighter than all the other headsets you listed. Yet you tried to make is seem like the heaviest.

You could just weigh  it yourself though if you really have doubts.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Trinity
    edited November 15
    corrected
    Look at the description. That's the original CV1 package, that weight includes the camera and the xbox one controller.

Here's a table of VR headset weights with sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_virtual_reality_headsets

edited November 14
    be that as it may its still damn heavy whatever it actually weighs

The truth shows that it is damn lighter than all the other headsets you listed. Yet your original point was that it was heaviest. Now that we know it is lightest of them all, you are still going to argue that it is "damn heavy"?

Okay then. If it is damn heavy at 1.04 pounds, then all the rest are unacceptably heavy since they weight more. What's your opinion on that?
  • parsecnparsecn Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    Zenbane said:

The CV1 weighs 1.04 pounds (or 470 grams). Which means it is lighter than all the other headsets you listed. Yet you tried to make is seem like the heaviest.

You could just weigh  it yourself though if you really have doubts.
    For your pleasure: 

523g CV1 with VRCover facial interface kit accurate to 1g division. Does not include HMD cable. The standard Oculus foam interface kit is no doubt lighter. 
    Yep! 0.523kg brings us to 1.15lbs. Up from the original 1.04lbs likely due to the increase in weight from the pleather of the interface.
    :)
    Trinity
    edited November 15
    corrected
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,577 Volunteer Moderator
    Holding my Reverb in one hand and the CV1 In the other I'd say the CV1 is heavier but the cable on the Reverb is way heavier and a damn sight more noticeable when wearing.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Trinity
    edited November 15
    corrected
    OK it is light

I can't help but notice that you won't go with the full truth though. It is not just "light" but lighter than all the other headsets you listed. Moving on though...

it it feels heavy.

That might be the case for you, but have you tried any of the other headsets you listed? Which are all heavier.

For me, I have always found the 1.04 pounds of the Rift CV1 to be completely comfortable, and as I have said since 2016, I can use it for hours (5+) and I forget that I'm wearing it. I can also use it for VR Fitness (e.g. Boxing) and it has zero comfort issues.

My 4 year old son can also use it for 20-30 minutes straight without any discomfort. Compared to say, the Quest which bothers him after 5-10 minutes. Quest bothers me after 20+ minutes as well. But the Rift CV1 and it's mere 1.04lbs is absolutely light and comfortable.

If 1.04lbs is heavy for you then that might just be a personal thing. Maybe increase your strength? Some back and shoulder exercises? I'm being totally serious!

Trinity
    edited November 15
    corrected
    I think we're getting a little off topic from Carmack moving his focus to AGI. :)

edited November 14
    1.04 pounds + long face mask add on + blue foam add on + widmo vr glasses add on.  + various zip ties and foam pads to hold the gripping strap from hurting my face.

Any VR Headset can be Modded to the point of discomfort. Also, the Amazon Rift CV1 you linked to did not have all of the Mods you just listed. Your original point was about how you "thought" that the Rift CV1 - out of the box and without modifications - was nearly 2lbs. So it seems you are just introducing new factors for the sake of debate.

Trinity
    edited November 15
    corrected
    edited November 14
    yes because of my mods it is heavy.

But that's not what you said at first. You said it was heavy because it weighs nearly 2 pounds by default (without Mods), and your link to Amazon was your proof. No Mods on that link, just an invalid weight.

the cv1 comfort is medieval to me. probably to others too.

We can't really speak for others, especially since you keep introducing new factors such as Mods that not everyone else has. Out of the Box, the CV1 is only 1.04lbs and very comfortable. All the mods you made are what turned it uncomfortable and "medieval" in your case. But the Mods you made are not standard nor universal.

Every other headset can be Modded to the point of discomfort.

Trinity
    edited November 15
    corrected
    you say its very comfortable out of the box,  to me thats an odd statement.
    Lets look at something else you said:
    the vr headsets need to be about .9 pounds to be mass marketable

1.04lbs - 0.9lbs = 0.14lbs

Back when you thought that the Rift CV weighs nearly 2lbs, you believed that roughly 1 pound is ideal. Right now, for PCVR, the Rift CV1 is only 0.14lbs away from what you feel a VR Headset needs to be for mass market.

Based on your own claim that 0.9lbs is needed for mass market, it is not odd to state that a 1.04lb headset is comfortable.
    Trinity
    edited November 15
    corrected
    like i said i got those numbers from google then i took that number and split it by half. i forgot i modded my rift when i stated the weight too.

You forgot your Rift CV1 was modded? Interesting. Regardless, you linked to an Amazon Rift without Mods. And I'm sure  that your Modded Rift weighs more than what was shown on the Amazon link.

That is irrelevant though. You said that 0.9lbs is ideal, and the Rift CV1 is the closest of all the PCVR HMD's to that number. Thus, you have proven that out of the box, the Rift CV1 is the most comfortable.

but its functional after all those mods before which it was too tight, too blurry, the foam face pad was too sticky, and the earphones cut into my ear. so to me the current weight is the correct weight of the cv1.
    So then why are you not also adding Weight to the other HMDS, so that you are comparing Modded weight to Modded weight? After you were proven wrong about the Rift CV1 weighing nearly 2lbs, you decided to then compare your personal Modded CV1 to unModded Quest, Index, Vive, etc.

Comparing Modded to Unmodded is Apples to Oranges, and quite invalid.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,244
    Wintermute
    Hello? John? You hearing any of this?
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,577 Volunteer Moderator
    Richooal said:
    Hello? John? You hearing any of this?
     :D yes he just called me, he said take it back on topic lol
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Trinity
    edited November 15
    corrected
    edited November 14
    none of what you said has to do with my critique on the need for vr comfort.

Your critique was based on the false notion that the Rift weighs nearly 2lbs. You said a VR Headset needs to weight 0.9 pounds, and the truth is that the Rift CV1 weights 1.04lbs. I have stuck to what you said, and holding you to it, just fine.

i seem to think your a bit off  on what were arguing about right now

Not at all. Yet you are the one who claims to have forgotten that your CV1 was Modded.

so ill leave the argument. yes go ahead a lol i wonder at you.

It wasn't much of an argument since it was all based on you stating the wrong weight for the Rift CV1.

I'm happy to get back on topic.