cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half Life: Alyx

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer

I am really looking forward to this. Sure it isn't Half Life 3 but it's something huge for VR.
911 REPLIES 911

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

This is so amazing!!! I'm so happy! I kept the faith all this time!  :#

I always said Half Life 3, Portal 3 and Left 4 Dead 3. I reckon a Portal game will be the next secret game that they unveil.

EDIT: Do you guys reckon Valve will allow Rift CV1 and Rift S users to play their new Half-life game or do you think it will be exclusive to Valve Index and the controls will suck for Rift users?

Valve has promised that the game will support all SteamVR compatible PCVR hmds - you'll probably be able to play using Quest Link too. If finger tracking will be a thing, then - maybe - some WMR HMDs may be in trouble, but let's wait and see. There're too few Indices to make it worthwhile for Valve to make exclusive games - and I don't think Valve likes creating more walled gardens...

Post image

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
That's great to hear, thanks!  🙂
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

My Index is ready!

Same here - this is actually why I bought the Index - and of course to have the choice of experiencing less SDE, better fov and increased res in some games compared to CV1. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Funny 😄

Can I play this on my Voodoo III Card with an iPhone taped to my face? [meme]

So I hear Valve thinks it has the right to release a game requiring modern hardware like fancy 200 dollar graphics cards and headsets that could set me back half the price I spent to replace my Xbox One with the newer model (and then again two years later). This is clearly a cash grab meant to trick me into buying an Oculus or Windows headset, you know, the ones Valve sells and makes money on. VR is just a passing fad like HD or multicore CPUs.

So anyway, I may still get the game but only if it will work on my system. I have a Voodoo 3 3D accelerator (which ran the first REAL Half Life game just fine!) with a cpu I took out of an Compac Presario. And of course a good old google cardboard that Valve can’t overcharge me on. If it doesn’t work I swear I’ll sue. I need to save up for the Xbox Scarlett and a two year subscription to Stadia.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLifeAlyx/comments/dyicad/can_i_play_this_on_my_voodoo_iii_card_with_an/

PluckeyOne
Protege
Can’t wait to get my hands on those Grabbity Gloves. 

RattyUK
Trustee
Ooooo!
Roll on Spring next year - it may not be HL3 but is centred on the most 'fleshed out' character in HL2!  I hope the voice actor is the same as in HL2.
Nice one valve, even if it is poo I'll have to buy it ❤️
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

RattyUK
Trustee

Can’t wait to get my hands on those Grabbity Gloves. 

With a comment like that, it is really hard to get my mind out of the gutter >:)
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
What a great year! What great news to get for Christmas!!!!

I'm so excited! Feel very giddy like a big kid at the moment!!!  🙂

Do you guys think we'll get more then one Half Life game? Do you reckon it will be in episodes like Star Wars?

I'm really hoping it will be a fully fledged game with 8-10 hours of single player campaign and will have amazing physics like Boneworks. Infact I really hope they secretly hired the Boneworks developers to work on Half Life. It wouldn't surprise me as Boneworks really does feel like it uses Half Life assets and even has a Portal kinda feel to it in places.

OMG OMG OMG The Excitement! I was really thinking that VR had got a bit boring recently with not enough high end games but it looks like Valve with their Index and games are going to help change that a lot.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RattyUK said:

Ooooo!
Roll on Spring next year - it may not be HL3 but is centred on the most 'fleshed out' character in HL2!  I hope the voice actor is the same as in HL2.
Nice one valve, even if it is poo I'll have to buy it ❤️

According to rumors (I think Tyler said it) the game will be about 12 hours long - which is about the same length as the original Half-Life 2 (about 13 hours) and about twice as long as HL2  Episode 1 or Episode 2. 
Maybe this is the closest thing to Half-Life 3 we're going to get. And I guess there's no rule that HL3 needs to be a continuation of HL2, lol. 

Today Gabe Newell is 57 years old, and his bodyweight does expose for serious cardiovascular diseases. Sometimes I can't help to wonder - if Valve needs another 12 years to release the next Half-Life flagship (Episode 2 was released about 12 years ago and was the last game related directly to HL2) - if Gabe will be there to experience it. In short, I greatly look forward to Half-Life: Alyx, maybe we won't see a flagship like that anytime soon... And of course - I may not be here in 12 years, lol 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm doing my best not to get my hopes up too high because Valve have let us all down so much over the years. Knowing them it'll STILL be a mini-game collection that you can play through in an hour rather than a full 5+ hour single player campaign. 😄