New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Half Life: Alyx

Protocol7Protocol7 Posts: 317
Trinity

I am really looking forward to this. Sure it isn't Half Life 3 but it's something huge for VR.

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,626 Valuable Player
    It has the potential to be huge. Too early to tell. Let's hope it doesn't turn in to another HALO VR.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,153 Valuable Player
    Fucking hell :o

I'll happily take back most of what I've said about Valve if this isn't a disappointment  :joy:
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,705 Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 18
    Did Valve actually update the Source engine to support modern VR (It had DK2 era VR, but that was dropped)? Or have they given up and used Unreal or Unity?

• MikeFMikeF Posts: 777
    Neo
    Robot repair in the lab uses source so id think they would go with their own capable engine but they have been using unity more and more with their sample project so could go either way
  • Protocol7Protocol7 Posts: 317
    Trinity
    This article says the tentative release date will be March 2020 and it will use the Source 2 engine

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,965 Valuable Player
    New subreddit has been created:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HLAlyx/

- and some more reactions:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited November 19
    The Verge - but not much news to be expected before Thursday I guess ;) 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/18/20971514/valve-announces-half-life-alyx-its-first-flagship-vr-game

At least now the cat is out of the bag...

- someone said: "With over 13000 comments, The Half-Life: Alyx r/gaming post is the biggest/most discussed game reveal ever and bigger than Half Life 3's 'Epistle 3' story leak" - btw, it's more than 14000 comments now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/dybtxg/valve_announces_halflife_alyx_its_first_flagship/

Actually I'm having slight problems concentrating on work today, the Alyx confirmation is quite disturbing and I can't help thinking about it, lol. No matter the quality of the final game, I'm sure the hype alone until launch will boost VR adoption a lot. Because in my mind and imagination, Alyx will be everything I hope for and want it to be until the game launches ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,861 Valuable Player
    My Index is ready!

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,276
    Wintermute
    edited November 19
    This is so amazing!!! I'm so happy! I kept the faith all this time!  :#

I always said Half Life 3, Portal 3 and Left 4 Dead 3. I reckon a Portal game will be the next secret game that they unveil.

EDIT: Do you guys reckon Valve will allow Rift CV1 and Rift S users to play their new Half-life game or do you think it will be exclusive to Valve Index and the controls will suck for Rift users?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    edited November 19
    This is so amazing!!! I'm so happy! I kept the faith all this time!  :#

I always said Half Life 3, Portal 3 and Left 4 Dead 3. I reckon a Portal game will be the next secret game that they unveil.

EDIT: Do you guys reckon Valve will allow Rift CV1 and Rift S users to play their new Half-life game or do you think it will be exclusive to Valve Index and the controls will suck for Rift users?

Valve has promised that the game will support all SteamVR compatible PCVR hmds - you'll probably be able to play using Quest Link too. If finger tracking will be a thing, then - maybe - some WMR HMDs may be in trouble, but let's wait and see. There're too few Indices to make it worthwhile for Valve to make exclusive games - and I don't think Valve likes creating more walled gardens...

Post image

Wintermute
    That's great to hear, thanks!  :)
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    My Index is ready!

Same here - this is actually why I bought the Index - and of course to have the choice of experiencing less SDE, better fov and increased res in some games compared to CV1. 

Funny :D

Can I play this on my Voodoo III Card with an iPhone taped to my face? [meme]

So I hear Valve thinks it has the right to release a game requiring modern hardware like fancy 200 dollar graphics cards and headsets that could set me back half the price I spent to replace my Xbox One with the newer model (and then again two years later). This is clearly a cash grab meant to trick me into buying an Oculus or Windows headset, you know, the ones Valve sells and makes money on. VR is just a passing fad like HD or multicore CPUs.

So anyway, I may still get the game but only if it will work on my system. I have a Voodoo 3 3D accelerator (which ran the first REAL Half Life game just fine!) with a cpu I took out of an Compac Presario. And of course a good old google cardboard that Valve can’t overcharge me on. If it doesn’t work I swear I’ll sue. I need to save up for the Xbox Scarlett and a two year subscription to Stadia.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLifeAlyx/comments/dyicad/can_i_play_this_on_my_voodoo_iii_card_with_an/

• PluckeyOnePluckeyOne Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Can’t wait to get my hands on those Grabbity Gloves. 
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 980
    3Jane
    Ooooo!
    Roll on Spring next year - it may not be HL3 but is centred on the most 'fleshed out' character in HL2!  I hope the voice actor is the same as in HL2.
    Nice one valve, even if it is poo I'll have to buy it <3
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    3Jane
    Can’t wait to get my hands on those Grabbity Gloves. 
    With a comment like that, it is really hard to get my mind out of the gutter >:)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Wintermute
    What a great year! What great news to get for Christmas!!!!

I'm so excited! Feel very giddy like a big kid at the moment!!!  :)

Do you guys think we'll get more then one Half Life game? Do you reckon it will be in episodes like Star Wars?

I'm really hoping it will be a fully fledged game with 8-10 hours of single player campaign and will have amazing physics like Boneworks. Infact I really hope they secretly hired the Boneworks developers to work on Half Life. It wouldn't surprise me as Boneworks really does feel like it uses Half Life assets and even has a Portal kinda feel to it in places.

OMG OMG OMG The Excitement! I was really thinking that VR had got a bit boring recently with not enough high end games but it looks like Valve with their Index and games are going to help change that a lot.
    edited November 19
    RattyUK said:
    Ooooo!
    Roll on Spring next year - it may not be HL3 but is centred on the most 'fleshed out' character in HL2!  I hope the voice actor is the same as in HL2.
    Nice one valve, even if it is poo I'll have to buy it <3

According to rumors (I think Tyler said it) the game will be about 12 hours long - which is about the same length as the original Half-Life 2 (about 13 hours) and about twice as long as HL2  Episode 1 or Episode 2. 
    Maybe this is the closest thing to Half-Life 3 we're going to get. And I guess there's no rule that HL3 needs to be a continuation of HL2, lol. 

Today Gabe Newell is 57 years old, and his bodyweight does expose for serious cardiovascular diseases. Sometimes I can't help to wonder - if Valve needs another 12 years to release the next Half-Life flagship (Episode 2 was released about 12 years ago and was the last game related directly to HL2) - if Gabe will be there to experience it. In short, I greatly look forward to Half-Life: Alyx, maybe we won't see a flagship like that anytime soon... And of course - I may not be here in 12 years, lol ;)

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,153 Valuable Player
    I'm doing my best not to get my hopes up too high because Valve have let us all down so much over the years. Knowing them it'll STILL be a mini-game collection that you can play through in an hour rather than a full 5+ hour single player campaign. :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,046 Volunteer Moderator
    I've been saying for years that the next Half-Life game would be a VR title, based on Gabe's comments that they wouldn't do a sequel until there was some leap in tech to justify it as a new and different experience. When Valve started getting involved in VR, I figured that it was the sort of technological leap that he had in mind.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Wintermute
    snowdog said:
    I'm doing my best not to get my hopes up too high because Valve have let us all down so much over the years. Knowing them it'll STILL be a mini-game collection that you can play through in an hour rather than a full 5+ hour single player campaign. :D

LMAO!!!

Can you even imagine...

Hey guys, here's our flagship Half-Life VR game - It's a card game in VR with a Half-Life skin! SURPRISE!!!   :D
    edited November 19
    I'm wondering how many VR owners have played Half-life 2, I mean it is 15 years ago and many in their mid-20s may never have played the game. I've completed both Half-life 1 and 2, but this might be the situation for some  :D

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,626 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:

LMAO!!!

Can you even imagine...

Hey guys, here's our flagship Half-Life VR game - It's a card game in VR with a Half-Life skin! SURPRISE!!!   :D

Yep! Looking at you, Halo VR
    :'(
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    3Jane
    edited November 19
    RuneSR2 said:
    I'm wondering how many VR owners have played Half-life 2, I mean it is 15 years ago and many in their mid-20s may never have played the game. I've completed both Half-life 1 and 2, but this might be the situation for some?

Half-Life?  Hmmm....

Maybe :)
    (The Team Fortress games don't start with Half-Life, but are in the collection too)

ETA: I seem to have lost the original Half-Life in that list....   Investigating!
    ETA2: Sorted - Half-Life was waiting for an update and hidden - don't ask me [shrugs]

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,809 Valuable Player
    IF it's a full length game, then they will release it for flat screens too. I don't believe it will be a full length Half-Life game. If I remember the last half-life game was kind of short. I'm betting it's like Episode One length. I hope I'm wrong about this. 

Also, I was right when I said they would not be releasing 3 new flagship games this year. They just wanted to help those index sales. 

Anyway, I'm very excited about this but I don't want to set my hopes too high. I'm expecting a short but very cool Half-Life VR game. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    MowTin said:
    IF it's a full length game, then they will release it for flat screens too. I don't believe it will be a full length Half-Life game. If I remember the last half-life game was kind of short. I'm betting it's like Episode One length. I hope I'm wrong about this. 

Also, I was right when I said they would not be releasing 3 new flagship games this year. They just wanted to help those index sales. 

Anyway, I'm very excited about this but I don't want to set my hopes too high. I'm expecting a short but very cool Half-Life VR game. 

To my knowledge the only things Valve said so far are that Alex is coming and one flagship will arrive this year (or maybe early next year) - below it says "game" and "it", not "games" and "them":

Post image

But Valve has earlier stated that 3 VR flagships are being built, I wonder if they all will arrive next year... 

• SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 829
    3Jane
    RuneSR2 said:
    I'm wondering how many VR owners have played Half-life 2, I mean it is 15 years ago and many in their mid-20s may never have played the game. I've completed both Half-life 1 and 2, but this might be the situation for some  :D

I hate to be 'that guy', but I've never played Half-Life in my life. I'm 52, but was never a PC gamer until VR. I grew up on consoles, and although they have Half-Life for PS2 and PS3, I only had PS2, and never even knew Half-Life even existed. I feel shame. At least it'll be a completely new experience to me.
    3Jane
    Spuzzum said:
    I hate to be 'that guy', but I've never played Half-Life in my life. I'm 52, but was never a PC gamer until VR. I grew up on consoles, and although they have Half-Life for PS2 and PS3, I only had PS2, and never even knew Half-Life even existed. I feel shame. At least it'll be a completely new experience to me.
    It's not too late...
    The original was excellent (still is) game play with a good story, the 2 'follow on' games are ok at best.
    HL2 is, even today, a very good story driven game with superb graphics, Episodes 1 & 2 carried on the story, short but immersive.  Lost coast was just a Hi-Def demo so doesn't count for much but 'show off'...
    Should Alyx follow in the tradition of its predecessors we are in for a good time :)