cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No audio when using Oculus Link

Nalin
Protege
I have no audio on my Quest headset when using Oculus Link.  These are all the things I have tried to resolve the issue:
  • Reboot PC and/or Quest and plugged things back in in many different orders.
  • Restarted the Oculus service.
  • Tried different USB ports.
  • Tried different USB cables.
  • Tried both an active and a passive extender.
  • Tried throwing a USB 3 hub into the mix just because, both as the first part of the chain and as the second part.
  • Tried with headphones plugged into the Quest and with them removed.
  • Tried toggling all the options related to sound that I could find within the software (Devices > Quest and Touch, all those sound options).
  • Repaired / reinstalled Oculus software.
  • Uninstalled Virtual Desktop Streamer app and its audio driver.
  • Changed my desktop speakers from 5.1 to stereo.
  • Attempted setting every single audio output device as default in Windows.
  • Plugged in my CV1, went through the setup, and then tried piping audio through the Oculus Rift Headphones audio output adapter.
  • Reinstalled oculus-driver.exe.
  • Opened a ticket with Oculus Support (they told me they won't support beta software, lol)
Is there anybody with the same issue who found a solution?  Or at this point is my only bet to wait a year until it stops being beta and Oculus Support actually tries to help?
EDIT: I finally got it working after uninstalling the NVIDIA HD Audio driver.
  1. On your keyboard, press Win+X > Select "Device Manager"
  2. Open up the "Sound, video and game controllers" node.
  3. Right click the NVIDIA High Definition Audio driver and choose "Uninstall device".

116 REPLIES 116

PhenixS1970
Protege
Initially I had no sound with Link either but in the Oculus Dash Quest settings I marked ‘play all windows audio in VR’ and I was good to go (btw Quest is not detected as an audio device in my win10).

mushymess
Honored Guest
Same issue here I have managed to get audio working from the quest only a couple of times by restarting both computer and quest. Otherwise it just comes out the default computer speakers.

Hopefully a software issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a shame Oculus did not have their new cable for the Link available when the beta software became available.
I expect going to be a lot of folks getting very frustrated trying different cables to find one that will work for them - some likely will just give up.

Necaro
Explorer

dburne said:

It's a shame Oculus did not have their new cable for the Link available when the beta software became available.
I expect going to be a lot of folks getting very frustrated trying different cables to find one that will work for them - some likely will just give up.

Well or they just need to wait 1 or 2 days. There are already tons of working suggestions in the forum 🙂

kenf1071
Adventurer
hi,ive got sound but through both my quest and coming from my monitor speakers,wife is moaning saying she can hear it and cant seem to get it coming from quest headphones only ? anyone know what that would be

its only when i use link 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Anyone tried using Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) with their Quest/link yet?  It's audio/mic switcher works great with my Rift cv1.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Nalin
Protege
I got it working finally!  I did a couple things at the same time:
  1. Turned off exclusive mode on my speakers.
  2. Disabled my Yeti microphone "output" (why this is even a thing I don't understand).
  3. Removed the NVIDIA HD Audio driver.
Once it was working, I turned exclusive mode back on and enabled my Yeti microphone "output" and the sound still works.  My only conclusion is that it was the NVIDIA audio driver, although I can't say with 100% certainty because I did a bunch of things at the same time.
  1. Win+X > Device Manager
  2. Open up the "Sound, video and game controllers" node.
  3. Right click the NVIDIA HD audio driver and choose "Uninstall device".
Hopefully this works for somebody else.

jim2011
Honored Guest
I also found it was related to the audio device but don't think i would want to uninstall the driver since I output to HDMI to my TV.  After completely uninstalling and reinstalling Oculus software for it not to work, I remembered a trick I had to do once to get audio to my rift in certain situations:

1) Switch the audio output from 5.1 to Stereo in Windows
2) Unplug and replug in the Quest, I now had audio.

I think this definitely needs to be resolved by Oculus but it seems to be working for now.  I don't want to have to manually change it every time I switch from Quest to Non-VR games.

falo209
Protege
Still no luck.  I've tried the speaker configuration change, removing the NVIDIA audio drivers, and all sorts of other switching, reinstalls, cable changes and the like.  What's interesting for me is that when I'm connected to Link, changing the sound device in Windows using the speaker icon doesn't actually do anything - still leaves the audio coming through my PC speakers.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same audio issue as above, different cables combos, etc.  Video and tracking works fantastic, no audio...

However, I have three VR Machines, all with Rifts that work flawlessly, varying specs but all Nvidia GTX 1070 or better.  Lack of audio issue on Quest Link is across all PCs, regardless of audio settings.  Rifts operate fine.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?