cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 dots then black screen with Oculus Quest Link

brownsea2989
Protege
Using a cable confirmed working by others (Amazon Basics USB 3 3M) and GTX 1650, 16Gb, Ryzen 5 3550H based laptop I'm having problems launching Quest Link! Headset is recognised and passes text in Oculus Desktop software and prompt appears in headset. When I launch in the headset I get a black screen with 3 moving dots. Shortly afterwards, just a black screen with the Guardian circle on the floor.

Anyone else had this?
96 REPLIES 96

gregor616
Adventurer
I had the same issue yesterday and after several restarts of both the headset and PC (RTX2060). I finally got it working and have not had an issue since. 
Oculus Quest 
AMD Ryzen 7 2700, GeForce RTX 2060 Super, 32GB, Asus B450 Motherboard

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I also had some trouble getting my Quest going last night (worked fine the previous time I used Link). I had the black screen and three dots, or else the black screen and my Guardian walls. After a full shutdown and reboot, it worked properly again. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you're getting the 3 dots issue, you're supposed to disable GeForce Experience Overlay in the Nvidia settings.

symphy
Explorer
I finally had to do a factory reset to the Oculus Quest and then let it update to modern software. Now link works!

brownsea2989
Protege
I've seen a few people have had success with disabling GeForce Experience Overlay however, I've never had this enabled and still have the problem. I've tried a couple of cables (including the one suggested by Oculus). I might try a full reset at the weekend and see if that works.

warlockuk
Explorer
I think my next thought is to get a usb3.1 connector card just for the quest.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Guys,

I had been having the exact same issues. At first I thought it was my wire as I got a different one from the Anker one recommended but the GeForce issue was what was causing me problems.
I had updated all my drivers and restarted a bunch of times. At times I did get it connected and working, if I unplugged the cable and replaced it, it would return to black screen. 
This is probably because after a reboot, GeF Exp didn't have a chance to start up correctly. 
I would ensurer your drivers are up-to-date, disable overlay, and restart both. 
Able to connect without a single issue. 

Just want to say thanks to who found this to be the problem and posted it here. Been following this thread for 4 days hoping for the answers and here they are. 

larrylart
Explorer

symphy said:

I finally had to do a factory reset to the Oculus Quest and then let it update to modern software. Now link works!

I'm having the same issue, black screen, what version of the software did you got? I'm running 11.0.0.180

cccoolguy10
Explorer
I'm having the same issue. I tried everything. Resetting my headset, computer, and oculus app. I even redownloaded oculus app and factory reset my quest. Nothing has helped, it's all the same. oh yeah I also turned off overlay in geforce experience and updated drivers.

larrylart
Explorer

I'm having the same issue. I tried everything. Resetting my headset, computer, and oculus app. I even redownloaded oculus app and factory reset my quest. Nothing has helped, it's all the same. oh yeah I also turned off overlay in geforce experience and updated drivers.

I also tried everything, including reset oculus to factory defaults ... what version of firmware are you on oculus? Also what windows? Maybe we have a common denominator.