cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest Link - as good as a Rift?

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I am really worried that we may have to start "managing expectations" regarding what the Quest Link performance can achieve. I see the same old "over hyperbole" from the usual suspects on forums, and not helped by messages like these in the media:

ms8t2c2zdkei.png

https://venturebeat.com/2019/11/03/oculus-link-beta-what-to-expect-from-linking-pc-and-standalone-vr...
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
140 REPLIES 140

nalex66
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

It seems super sampling doesn't really provide any benefit for Quest Link due to the downsampling:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/dzaiua/using_super_sampling_with_quest_link/

Surely CV1 ss 2.0 isn't looking as great as Index ss 2.0 (=res 200%), but apart from the SDE and fov I'd say CV1 ss 2.0 isn't that far behind Index ss 1.4 (res 100%). 

I find it really hard to believe that Quest Link - if ss doesn't do anything - can look as good as CV1 ss 2.0. 

But I do get that those using CV1 ss 1.0 to 1.3 might find that Quest Link could look similarly or slightly better... 

You're obsessed.  😉

Really though, Quest/Link looks fantastic, significantly better than CV1. I don't usually bother with SS beyond what's available in a game's settings, because I never found that it made a huge difference. I tried to take some through-the-lens photos the other night, but they didn't come out too well. Maybe I'll give it another go this weekend, just for you non-believers.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Some now complain about Quest Link black levels, strange because black levels should theoretically be an argument for using Quest with Oculus Link to get back the deep oled blacks, especially for users of lcd hmds:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/dzty4e/link_is_great_but_unfortunately_not_an_upgrade/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

cmaffia2019
Protege
No!

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 - I was more interested to read what this guy had to say in that Reddit thread (Below). So he has got a 24ft cable connected to his PC? How has he done this and can Oculus Quest been extended even further then 8 meters? If it can I might look at purchasing one because I would like to play PC -VR in my other room and could drill a hole in the wall.

"I sold my CV1 because Oculus Link and Quest looks so much better for me. Plus I have 8m of cable now (3m usb 3, 5m usb 3 extender)"

nalex66
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - I was more interested to read what this guy had to say in that Reddit thread (Below). So he has got a 24ft cable connected to his PC? How has he done this and can Oculus Quest been extended even further then 8 meters? If it can I might look at purchasing one because I would like to play PC -VR in my other room and could drill a hole in the wall.

"I sold my CV1 because Oculus Link and Quest looks so much better for me. Plus I have 8m of cable now (3m usb 3, 5m usb 3 extender)"

Active extension cables. I tested one of my 5m active extensions that I use for my CV1 sensors, along with a 1m A to C cable, and that worked fine. I’m sure I could use a longer passive A to C (up to 3m) and still be good. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@nalex66 - Can you put a link up to those cables you use please?

nalex66
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

@nalex66 - Can you put a link up to those cables you use please?

Links are in the post—click on either cable mentioned. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Of course extending HDMI or DisplayPort cables may be a much greater challenge than extending usb cables - and may be a great advantage for Oculus Link. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

inovator
Consultant
Some reviewers have said it's good but not as good as rift s others said it was marginally better. One reviewer said it was better. I am holding back my final conclusion until the oculus cable is out and the link software is out of beta. I wouldn't be surprised if by then the difference is so close that it's hard to tell the difference but if it's that close the quest may win because of the deeper blacks etc. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Lol two pages and still I am none the wiser whether the quest link is as good as the Rift.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.