cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O-LINK Horrific low framerates and stutter..

Games001
Explorer
Oculus Quest is less than a month old, runs smooth in wireless mode, but now that we have tried the LINK via USB3.0 we are getting an insane low and stuttering framerate.
Basics are:
Intel i7 4820k CPU (6-core) @ 3.7Ghz
32GB DDR4
MSI NVidia GTX 1660 ARMOR 6GB DDR5 (PCIe3-16)
Windows 10
Anker USB C Charger, Powerline USB C to USB 3.0 Cable (6ft) with 56k Ohm Pull-up Resistor

Runs VR games on Steam and such perfectly.  Runs a RIFT S like a champ.  LINK just unusable.  Any thoughts?

25 REPLIES 25

Games001
Explorer

Spuzzum said:

Word on Reddit is to make sure you disable Vertical Sync in Control Panel, and select 'Use 3D Application Setting' instead. See if that's the issue.

PC Control Panel and 3D App Setting.. in what menu? 😉  NVidia CP?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This was a stock pic on google images...make sure to set to Off, not Adaptive.

Games001
Explorer
Hehe, yeah, I figured that was where you were speaking of.  It was set to Use 3D App Setting.  Will test it 'Off' tonight and see what it offers.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cheers. I just got mine going...using a right-angled extension, I had spotty connection using my onboard USB 3.0 controller, but had no problems plugged directly into the Quest. But after connecting to my Startech 4-port USB 3.0 pci-e card, that I bought for my Rift CV1 external sensors, and I'm running fine, even with the 90 degree adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/USB3-1-Extension-CGTime-Angled-Charging/dp/B071FJ96XB

Games001
Explorer
Updating Windows 10 with every single tiny update available, removing all the USB cables from the PCIe Card except the LINK USB3.0 line, and updating (again) NVidia's drivers has helped, a bit.  The LINK Home will now load without any notable lag or latency and games from SteamVR load, run, and only chewy or other high-end graphics hogs seem to have any level of slow framerate.  Appreciate the help thus far and we'll keep tweaking this one and post our findings here.

ezop73
Rising Star
try a clean boot, you may have more background activity than you think

https://windowsinstructed.com/clean-boot-windows-windows/

edit: just found out some people are experiencing similar issues .. possible work around is to plug your USB-c cable straight into your GFX card (if possible)

(note) on the back of your case not actually on the GFX card 

Games001
Explorer
I would like to try the GFX Direct option, but sadly the card only offers 3xDP & 1xHDMI port.

Might this work you think?
 ...amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-USB-C-Supporting/dp/B01J6DT070/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Display+Port+to+USB+3.1&qid=1576098760&sr=8-3

GAYMUR
Explorer
i set the priority of OVRserver in my task manager to Realtime and it fixed it for me

InvicTech
Explorer
For anyone wondering why you get bad performance with Oculus Link...

Contrary to what most people believe, Oculus Link does NOT run at the screen resolution of the Quest, it runs at 156% of that (3616*200 instead of 2880*1600) which puts its GPU Performance requirements at close to 4K resolution. This is why it runs like crap with a GTX 1660. The only thing you can do is lower the render resolution in either the Oculus Debug Tool or the SteamVR settings.

I recommend "fpsVR" for monitoring SteamVR Game performance

falken76
Expert Consultant

RedRizla said:

That's not the fault of the Oculus link, it's your computer.

Is that machine really not enough?  It looks fine to me, only thing I'm not familiar with is the GPU but I think it's one of the newer ones from Nvidia and those have better specs than the 1050ti I thought.  He said it also runs his Rift S no problem.  He's got enough ram to play a huge multiplayer level in DCS world and that's a memory hog.  What's wrong with his system?