New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Link not working??

I don't know if this is the proper place to post this but I'm getting an error on the Oculus Software that says to restart my PC or contact Oculus Support. My Quest gets a popup to enable Link and I hit enable but it just takes me back to the Quest home screen. I have a 1050ti and I've seen people who have it that said it works fine. Everything in the devices tab is green so it should work.
Tagged:

Comments

• chkev2001chkev2001 Posts: 5
    Brain Burst
    edited November 2019
    I have the same issue, too.
    I have i5 with RTX2080, and I use type C to USB A 3.1 gen1 3m cable, but it does not work....

My Quest gets a popup to enable link and i hit enable but it just take me back to the Quest home screen,
    Everything in the devices tab is green, so it should work.....

However I notice that when I hit enable button, Quest will be disconnected then reconnect again...
    I think this causes the problem....it seems that when quest starts data transfer, it will cause Quest to disconnect, and reconnect agin....
    so it keep popup the "asking enable link" message again and again,.... 

I try disable PTC, but that does not help,... and also turn off the Geforce Experence Overlay, and still have problem....
    I also try re-install Oculus PC app, and factory reset my Quest, and with no luck, does not work....
    I update Quest to v11, and keep Oculus PC app to version 1.43.0, and update my PC's drivers to the newest version.
    and the link just does not work....   :(
    someone says that I should test Quest in Roomscale, and I did try that too, it does not fix the problem..

even now, I am still trying to make my Quest link to work, and that's why I am asking help here.....

=====================================================================================
    2019/Nov/25 updated
    =====================================================================================
    I have a usb 3.0 hub with external power, and I connect this hub to my computer, then use the port of hub with my cord, and it works!!! Yes!! it works!!  :)

now I can play PCVR games with my Quest!! Yes!!
    just leave this message for others, so they can share my experience, and maybe that may help someone who have the similar issue?!
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 843
    3Jane
    I just had this issue...disabled Geforce Experience Overlay, and set Vertical Sync to 'use 3D application settings'. After that, I was still getting the loop around, but I had a 90 degree extension adapter plugged into the Quest's usb port, with the 10' Anker cable connected to that. I found that without the adapter, with the Anker cable plugged directly into the Quest, I had a solid connection. I then found that swapping the cable from the motherboard's usb 3.0 port to my Startech usb 3.0 pci-e card, I was then able to reattach the 90 degree extension adapter, then still have a solid connection. I guess it came down to power.

• NextusNextus Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    chkev2001 said:
    I have i5 with RTX2080, and I use type C to USB A 3.1 gen1 3m cable, but it does not work....

My Quest gets a popup to enable link and i hit enable but it just take me back to the Quest home screen,

However I notice that when I hit enable button, Quest will be disconnected then reconnect again...
    I think this causes the problem....it seems that when quest starts data transfer, it will cause Quest to disconnect, and reconnect agin....

I try disable PTC, but that does not help,... and also turn off the Geforce Experence Overlay, and still have problem....
    I also try re-install Oculus PC app, and factory reset my Quest, and with no luck, does not work....
    I update Quest to v11, and keep Oculus PC app to version 1.43.0, and update my PC's drivers to the newest version.
    someone says that I should test Quest in Roomscale, and I did try that too, it does not fix the problem..

even now, I am still trying to make my Quest link to work, and that's why I am asking help here.....

2019/Nov/25 updated
    I have a usb 3.0 hub with external power, and I connect this hub to my computer, then use the port of hub with my cord, and it works!!! Yes!! it works!!  :)

just leave this message for others, so they can share my experience, and maybe that may help someone who have the similar issue?!
    which usb hub do you use? I wanna make sure I get one that will work. Glad to hear you got it working! :)
  • chkev2001chkev2001 Posts: 5
    Brain Burst
    Nextus said:
    chkev2001 said:

2019/Nov/25 updated

which usb hub do you use? I wanna make sure I get one that will work. Glad to hear you got it working! :)

VANTEC USB HUB 4-PORT SUPERSPEED 3.0 UGT-MH431U3-BK
    I got this usb 3.0 hub several years ago, it's package does not include the power adapter....
    However, it has a power sucket, that alow it to input external power. 

It works for me, surprisingly!

3Jane
    chkev2001 said:
    Nextus said:
    chkev2001 said:

2019/Nov/25 updated

VANTEC USB HUB 4-PORT SUPERSPEED 3.0 UGT-MH431U3-BK
    I got this usb 3.0 hub several years ago, it's package does not include the power adapter....
    However, it has a power sucket, that alow it to input external power. 

It works for me, surprisingly!

I was just thinking of a powered hub as the 900mA that the onboard 3.0 port supplies isn't enough to keep the headset charged. Not even my Startech 4-port pci-e card. But with a powered hub, it should give enough amperage to keep the internal battery topped up. Just need to find a hub that outputs enough to increase the current closer to 3A.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,287 Valuable Player
    My Link is now working fine, but never could get it to run through a powered USB 3 Hub. Oculus kept saying it was not USB3 when plugged into it.

I have it running great now though on my motherboard front panel USB 3.1 port.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • NextusNextus Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I got a USB hub with external power but I still get the black screen then quest menu...
    3Jane
    I got it working with an Amazon Basics hub, working on the ports that gave me issues before.
    https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Port-2-5A-power-adapter/dp/B00DQFGH80
  • czdaryleczdaryle Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have usb3.0 but when I plug it in to one when the screen tells you it just spins. I dont get red x or nothing. Just the wait circle spinning? Any help would be appreciated. Tried a few cables and same issue. Even the one the recommended
  • DDugo13DDugo13 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hey, I have the same problem as Nextus but absolutely nothing works nor changes. My usb works ports work just fine and are the right ones, the cable also work just fine. The quest just keeps going back to the Quest menu and never loads the Rift menu... Just a damn loop
    And idk what to do anymore

• crembulecrembule Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    we all got trolled cuz it dosnt work for me and im not buying a hub to waist more money and time
  • tanfamilyhometanfamilyhome Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    It works on mine!! I have a ugreen hub
  • enigma01enigma01 Posts: 980
    3Jane
    crembule said:
    we all got trolled cuz it dosnt work for me and im not buying a hub to waist more money and time
    It works on mine!! I have a ugreen hub
    Yeah works absolutely fine the Ugreen USB 3.0 and Anker Powerline + USB 3.0 for me. No hub required, connected straight into my laptop. 
  • noemisnoemis Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    We got it working today and here're some information, which could be helpful for some of you:

our cable: Oehlbach USB-Evolution C3 - 3m - it was available in germany in this length and it works.

Last week, we tested current pc app version 1.43 and oculus quest on 11.0 - it worked.

On Monday this week. the oculus link didn't work: oculus quest got an update to 12.0 - so this seem not compatible to 1.43. On PC we open settings -> beta-version and activated the public test channel. The pc app got some updates. And then another update.... bla bla. Now the pc app also shows: 12.0. We got it again working with the quest, but still had some troubles:

- only closing the app doesn't helped at beginning, oculus run in background: quit with taskmanager or restart pc to get a fresh connection - for some reason, quest showed connected even without a cable
    - in the headset you have to confirm some dialogs to acitvate oculus link and access data after connecting the cable
    - on oculus quest under settings at the bottom there is also an option: activate oculus link - this was also necessary in some moments, when we lost connection

Hope, I could help.

• eagleeyezeagleeyez Posts: 104
    Art3mis
    noemis said:
    We got it working today and here're some information, which could be helpful for some of you:

our cable: Oehlbach USB-Evolution C3 - 3m - it was available in germany in this length and it works.

Last week, we tested current pc app version 1.43 and oculus quest on 11.0 - it worked.

On Monday this week. the oculus link didn't work: oculus quest got an update to 12.0 - so this seem not compatible to 1.43. On PC we open settings -> beta-version and activated the public test channel. The pc app got some updates. And then another update.... bla bla. Now the pc app also shows: 12.0. We got it again working with the quest, but still had some troubles:

- only closing the app doesn't helped at beginning, oculus run in background: quit with taskmanager or restart pc to get a fresh connection - for some reason, quest showed connected even without a cable
    - in the headset you have to confirm some dialogs to acitvate oculus link and access data after connecting the cable
    - on oculus quest under settings at the bottom there is also an option: activate oculus link - this was also necessary in some moments, when we lost connection

Hope, I could help.

Thank you, that was doing my head in the whole day long.
    So I wrote this in another forum

Okay, nothing worked today. No Link even though all was green and up and running.

The solution is:

-          What happened is that your Quest software updated itself to version 12 but the oculus software on your pc is still 1.4.3

-          So go into your oculus pc software under settings, beta and activate beta. Your oculus software will get updated to version 12.make sure you have 12GB free on your drive.

-          You can see the update under Library, updates.

-          After the install restart your pc and all works again.

• rjnmd70rjnmd70 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    So good evening all,  I wanted to ask my question in this post as it would seem people in here are fairly knowledgeable on this topic.

So I have the following laptop
    MSI Leopard GL63
    Intel I7
    32GB of ram
    Nvidia 1070
    Compatible Oculus Link cable

I bought a Oculus Link cable that is compatible with the Quest and I know its compatible because it works on the desktop. When I plug the cable in to my laptop though the Oculus client does not recognize it. To throw another twist in, the same cable works with Sidequest on the laptop. So the cable works with Quest on my Desktop and with Sidequest on the laptop but not with the Oculus home client. Do not have a usb-c powered hub not even sure if they make one. I do not have a usb-c to usb-a adapter to test further with to see if it is something with the usb-c port on the laptop not providing enough  power. I am going to attempt the vbios update from msi here in a few minutes but any other suggerstions are welcome if anyone else has seen this.

Also already tried the beta channel trick, and even tried turning off dev mode just to reset usb debug switch as I had that set to always on and wanted to make sure that wasn't causing a conflict.

Ric
  • xAndyWangxAndyWang Posts: 1
    NerveGear

Hello, I am also having trouble with getting the link cable to work.

I have an Asus Zephyrus GM501GS
    GTX 1070
    USB 3.1 Type-C port

When I plug the cable into the type-c port, the PC app recognizes the quest and I get the message asking for permissions on the Quest. When I accept to launch oculus link, it shows a black screen. After a while, a message will pop up saying "Oculus link isn't responding". I am on the correct software version and I have disabled geforce experience as some users have recommended, but I still cannot get this to work. The USB driver I have is the Intel USB 3.1 eXtensible driver supplied by Windows 10.
  • Raven02007Raven02007 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited January 4
    Nextus said:
    I don't know if this is the proper place to post this but I'm getting an error on the Oculus Software that says to restart my PC or contact Oculus Support. My Quest gets a popup to enable Link and I hit enable but it just takes me back to the Quest home screen. I have a 1050ti and I've seen people who have it that said it works fine. Everything in the devices tab is green so it should work.
    Nextus, I have the same problem, also a 1050 ti. Did you ever get it working? If so, how?

I am using the 10ft anker cable and have also tried the partylink cable
  • enigma01enigma01 Posts: 980
    3Jane
    edited January 4
    Nextus, I have the same problem, also a 1050 ti. Did you ever get it working? If so, how?
    1050ti isn’t on the supported GPU list for Link, so possibly why you’re getting an error. 
  • AlRe3xAlRe3x Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    @xAndyWang Same issue with same usb driver. Did u get it to work somehow?
  • garfinnabaggarfinnabag Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    I have a fix, i repair the oculus app then it rolled backed to v13 but it install an update automatically so i turned the internett off and restarted my pc, i have not used internett while the apps open so i dont know but close the app before any internett
  • TheTonaZTheTonaZ Posts: 60
    Brain Burst

now it works for me, but i have no audio mirrored on the default pc speakers....

• Caves123Caves123 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Nextus said:

• AdamEllis98AdamEllis98 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I got mine to work by turning off developer mode for my quest in the app on my phone
  • FretcozFretcoz Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    hey,i got a 1050ti gpu i know its not listed but it worked for some people so it would work for me but thats not my main problem,i have a 3ft anker caple and its compatible with oculus link,but the app wont recognize it as a 3.0 so i think the problem is with my ports so im buying a 3.0 hub it might work. ill update you guys wish me luck

• FretcozFretcoz Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    ffs it doesnt work

• vakexpertvakexpert Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Solved!
    My Oculus link connection sometimes worked excellent and sometimes was very unstable whyle Playing Half life Alyx.
    After a while I found out what the problem was. The USB-C side of the 10 feet Anker cable that goes into the Oculus Quest can of course be connected two ways. If the connection is unstable I just take the connector out, turn it 180°, and put it back in.
    I tested this over and over.
    Both sides of the USB-C connector of the 10 feet Anker cable look the same so I cant tell how it should be connected. I simply marked one side of the connector with tape.
    Equipment:
    - Asus Z97-K
    - Nvidea GTX 1070
    - Intel i5 8600
  • THEK1W1THEK1W1 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Whenever I try to use link my quest doesn't detect my pc when I click to enable oculus link. I have a party link cable and it is connected to a USB 3 port. I have a RTX 2060 and an I7 processor. Any Ideas?
  • THEK1W1THEK1W1 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Also the quest does show up on my pc