cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link fried my motherboard?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had PTC activated and I dont know if that was the issue, but Im pretty sure i fried some USB ports on my motherboard.

When I connected the Quest windows gave me Power Surge warnings a couple of times and i could never get it to work.

Suddenly my keyboard stopped working. I disconnected the quest and restarted my PC.

Now 2 USB ports and my keyboard are not working anymore -.-

Is there anything I can do?
12 REPLIES 12

vargablood
Expert Protege
this only comes from shorting circuits of the connector, never from software like oculus ptc ....
you can try to get your pc AC less for some minutes, unplug all power cables from your power supply.
With some luck it will work again or you will have burned your usb chip.

If USB 3 can deliver power in both directions, I guess it has the potential to cause problems if there's a cable or connector fault. Maybe if the device being plugged in has power on-board, there's additional risk. No idea though if the Quest has the ability to output power.

If it can, I wonder if this is something that Oculus are considering when designing their cable (or firmware)... only have power delivery in one direction. The other thing to consider when choosing cables is avoid where possible adaptors as every additional connection introduces a potential for fault.

Whatever the cause, I hope your problem gets resolved.

Edit: I'd hope though that USB hubs have protection built-in, for all these types of problems, am I hoping too much?

dingofoxvrfox
Protege
I can tell you why your usb took a dump. 

There are 2 types of usb 3.0 ports powered and non powered if you installed the quest onto a non powered port you will pull to much voltage and burn out your usb connection 

Anonymous
Not applicable
so after disconnecting all usb devices and powering off / switching off the psu, i got all functionality back. phew
i still get the "power surge on usb port" message but if the oculus software successfully pairs with the quest the message goes away.

still kinda scary and i am not sure what's causing it. I also dont know anyhting about powered or non powered usb ports. Aren't they all powered on the motherboard?

enigma01
Trustee

AfroHyena said:

I also dont know anyhting about powered or non powered usb ports. Aren't they all powered on the motherboard?

Yes they are... I think what DaftnDirect is saying is that because the Quest also has an internal battery there is the potential for it to push an electrical signal back down the cable. I guess this potential isn't there with the Rift as it doesn't have onboard power. 

kojack
MVP
MVP
This is actually a common problem with poorly designed cables. If you buy a cheap one, it may do this.

The problem is the USB port on the motherboard identifies itself as being able to handle maybe 2 amp draw max. The Quest identifies itself as accepting up to 3 amps. The cable should allow them to negotiate. But a cheap cable will just let the Quest draw whatever it wants regardless of what the motherboard says it can handle.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

The problem is the USB port on the motherboard identifies itself as being able to handle maybe 2 amp draw max. The Quest identifies itself as accepting up to 3 amps. The cable should allow them to negotiate. But a cheap cable will just let the Quest draw whatever it wants regardless of what the motherboard says it can handle.

ok I think I will return the cable then and try another one. thanks!

enigma01
Trustee

AfroHyena said:

What cable was it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

enigma01 said:

AfroHyena said:

What cable was it?
it was a 3m USB A - USB C  cable from "mumbi". got it from german ebay