cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Japan is happy too it seems, but I wonder about down under...

xz4v7o8f33u9.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
its for sale in canada now for 1319 before shipping and tax.

wow thats expensive for everyone i know, including me. i will wait till its under 1 grand canadien after tax and shipping, or there abouts. more excited about the quest 2 i expect to be announced. kevinw729 gave me the impression he knows something about that happening behind the scenes in the wings.

kojack
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

Japan is happy too it seems, but I wonder about down under...

Nope, still not available in Aus.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Looks kinda cool (jump to 6:20 if my timestamp doesn't work):

https://youtu.be/qoQDMDP3rqU?t=380

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Nice - just saw that Alyx has been added to my library - without me doing anything  🙂

r5yt0zkbyv7s.jpg

Feels like the Index just got a price cut from 1k to $950 😉

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

RuneSR2 said:

- and maybe the best news to some - Index is now available in Canada!  🙂

Thanks @RuneSR2 - lurking in this thread for months on end paid off.
I was even considering orchestrating a temporary address change with my bank to my parcel pickup location in the USA, and a subsequent purchase shipped to said address. The only thing keeping me from doing that were potential problems if I had to warranty an item. Problem solved!

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

its for sale in canada now for 1319 before shipping and tax.

wow thats expensive for everyone i know, including me. i will wait till its under 1 grand canadien after tax and shipping, or there abouts.

I paid $1,477.28 CAD yesterday and I consider it good value (if i Index is everything I'be been hearing - I'll know for sure when it gets here ). Not that I'm made of money, lol.
I will add that $1,000 CAD is unrealistic, in my humble O. At least until Valve releases another headset, or the CAD reverts to it's at-par glory with USD from a few years back. 
Reason I'm saying that is because valve is clearly not interested in competing in pricing. If anything, they leverage their pricing to demonstrate above grade quality.
If they were to reduce the price that dramatically, they would devalue the brand that Index just helped establish. Think about how Apple maintains the brand integrity with their non-competitive pricing strategy in spite of producing largely uninteresting products these days

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Boneworks is coming - here presented using the Index from the devs - Boneworks may be considered the first game really made for the Index:

https://youtu.be/w8a1BAolFIk

Potentially looks like another game where devs left out dynamic shadows?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

If only the Oculus Quest came like that to start with then I'd purchase one tomorrow. I tested a mates out and it's far to front heavy, so I won't be purchasing one even if they drop in price. I'll wait for Oculus to get their comfort act together and hopefully they will do that with Oculus Quest 2, or I'll have to pass again. 

Having to pay $100 for the HTC head band and then more money for the PV that VR cover uses makes the Quest only £300 less then a Valve index. At-least with the Oculus CV1 all I had to get to make it extremely comfy was the PV Cover from VR Cover. I just hope my Oculus CV1 holds out for a couple of years.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Boneworks is coming - here presented using the Index from the devs - Boneworks may be considered the first game really made for the Index:

https://youtu.be/w8a1BAolFIk

Potentially looks like another game where devs left out dynamic shadows?

Lol, getting several downvotes on Reddit for stating the obvious that the game has no dynamic shadows, and I do think I'm right, even Boneworks devs have said that although you have a few scenes with dynamic lights and shadows, they've removed shadows to increase performance:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/823500/discussions/0/1639801448919902772/

Seems like there must be a lot of kids using Reddit, lol. 

Personally I greatly dislike games with no dynamic shadows, it really kills immersion and makes a game look quite dated, especially a game like Boneworks that implements a lot of physics. Just check out the totally awesome dynamic shadows in Lone Echo, and even deactivating natural shadows in Stormland you still get dynamic shadows.