cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my son's pc compatible??

Confusedmum
Honored Guest
Need help! My son wants Oculus rift for Xmas ...I have no idea if his pc is compatible- so confused by the pc lingo..does anyone know if the 

Stormforce Onyx AMD 200GE Processor, 8Gb RAM, 2Tb Hard Drive

Would be ok for Oculus rift?
Any help greatfully received! 
10 REPLIES 10

RattyUK
Trustee
As the AMD processor has integrated graphics I doubt it has the 'horsepower' to run in VR - so unless a seperate GPU can be added...  The CPU may be good, but entirely unsure.  VR is quite demanding and an entry-level gaming PC may work but give a poor experience.
If the PC can handle modern games at 1080p High/Ultra settings then maybe 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

trek554
Adventurer
I dont understand how you can have the whole internet right in front of you and not know how to do any research. 200GE is a garbage apu when it comes to gaming and neither the cpu nor gpu are even remotely capable of handling VR. 

RattyUK said:

As the AMD processor has integrated graphics I doubt it has the 'horsepower' to run in VR - so unless a seperate GPU can be added...  The CPU may be good, but entirely unsure.  VR is quite demanding and an entry-level gaming PC may work but give a poor experience.

um no. that cpu is abysmal with only 2 cores/ 4 threads and even a modern entry level card would be limited by it. the minimum cpu for Rift S is 50% faster for general workloads and even faster than that for gaming. not to mention the power supply is probably junk on an ultra low end config like that.  
WIN 11 | 13700KF | MSI MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI | G.SKILL 64GB 6400MHZ CL32 | GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | SEASONIC FOCUS GX-1000

Richooal
Consultant

trek554 said:

I dont understand how you can have the whole internet right in front of you and not know how to do any research.

"Said the nerd to the confused mum."

Take it easy, not everyone spends their lives playing games and drooling over pc specs. Have you never asked about something you don't understand?

@Confusedmum
They are right about the PC and the Rift. Has your son expressed any interest in the Quest? It doesn't need a PC to run but is able to use "Link" software to connect to a PC. Currently AMD Vega series (which your son's PC has) is not supported with Link, but Oculus is working with AMD to support more of their products.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

trek554
Adventurer

Richooal said:

trek554 said:

I dont understand how you can have the whole internet right in front of you and not know how to do any research.

Take it easy, not everyone spends their lives playing games and drooling over pc specs. Have you never asked about something you don't understand?

@Confusedmum
They are right about the PC and the Rift. Has your son expressed any interest in the Quest? It doesn't need a PC to run but is able to use "Link" software to connect to a PC. Currently AMD Vega series (which your son's PC has) is not supported with Link, but Oculus is working with AMD to support more of their products.

perhaps read what I said a little closer? of course not everyone knows this stuff but the POINT was it takes very little effort to use google and learn a bit. if he has the ability to list his exact specs then he has the ability to do a few minutes of research on google. no point in having all of the knowledge right in front of us and not using it. 

and his pc will never be supported in Link to please dont mislead him. his APU is not even remotely close to meeting min requirements.  
WIN 11 | 13700KF | MSI MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI | G.SKILL 64GB 6400MHZ CL32 | GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | SEASONIC FOCUS GX-1000

Richooal
Consultant

trek554 said:

perhaps read what I said a little closer? of course not everyone knows this stuff but the POINT was it takes very little effort to use google and learn a bit. if he has the ability to list his exact specs then he has the ability to do a few minutes of research on google.

You may need to read the original post again. I'm guessing confusedmum  is not the "he" you're referring to.
My POINT was that you don't need to be a grumpy little shit when trying to help people. Your avatar is perfect for you.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus used to have a Compatibility test app to show people whether their PC can support a VR headset but they've decided to stop supporting it now. Your best bet would be to check the SteamVR compatibility test from here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/323910/SteamVR_Performance_Test/

If the PC passes the SteamVR test then it's also suitable for the Rift S, but going by what people have posted here it doesn't look like it's powerful enough.

An alternative option would be an Oculus Quest. It's the same price and doesn't need a PC to run it because all of the hardware needed is inside the headset. And if at a later date your son gets a new PC capable of PC VR then he can get a Link cable which will allow him to play PC VR games on his headset.

The games' graphics for the Quest aren't as good as the games on the Rift S or any other PC headset (because the tech inside it is mobile phone tech) and until the Link cable is released you're stuck with playing Quest games on it, but there are some great games available for it and a good few of them are cross-buy, so if you buy the Quest version from the Quest Store you'll be able to play the Rift S version when you update the PC without having to buy it separately.

So basically if the PC can't run it then the Quest is the next best thing, it'll allow him to play Quest VR games right now and will also allow him to play PC VR games in the future when he has a PC capable of running them.

RattyUK
Trustee

trek554 said:

I dont understand how you can have the whole internet right in front of you and not know how to do any research. 200GE is a garbage apu when it comes to gaming and neither the cpu nor gpu are even remotely capable of handling VR. 

RattyUK said:

um no. that cpu is abysmal with only 2 cores/ 4 threads and even a modern entry level card would be limited by it. the minimum cpu for Rift S is 50% faster for general workloads and even faster than that for gaming. not to mention the power supply is probably junk on an ultra low end config like that.  

How else could I word something politely?

I'm not entirely sure about you, but I was brought up to be well-mannered... (particularly to someone asking for help)
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

jtechy
Honored Guest

trek554 said:

Richooal said:

trek554 said:

@Confusedmum

perhaps read what I said a little closer? of course not everyone knows this stuff but the POINT was it takes very little effort to use google and learn a bit. if he has the ability to list his exact specs then he has the ability to do a few minutes of research on google. no point in having all of the knowledge right in front of us and not using it. 

and his pc will never be supported in Link to please dont mislead him. his APU is not even remotely close to meeting min requirements.  trek554 said:

Thanks for your perspective.  However, I AM a google info seeker and was MUCH dissapointed to find your comments instead of the hoped for solution.  When someone posts a question,and another kind person responds, THAT is where the info on google grows.  Whereas you say it is there without asking.  I am still young, however i remember when google was not the network it is now ...please contribute instead of insulting next time, and that way we can all find solutions thanks so much 

Double_Shot
Adventurer