cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR helping my Depression.

keeperofkeys
Protege
Ok, I’m not crazy. I’m a 50 year old gamer have had every game console since Atari, and am new to VR. I have had bad depression the last seven years. As well as an anxiety disorder all my life. I’m on anti-depressants for years, have a therapist, and nothing has helped enough. I noticed after purchasing Oculus Quest just a few days ago and using it, that a feel better. Much better. Enough to recognize the connection. So I say ... is this just a new toy that is making me happy to have or own? No. It’s much more. I hope this continues. My feelings, and thoughts are —that it’s releasing aggression and stress, as well as conquering things. In the virtual world, no one can hurt me. Something to think about. I’ll continue to post updates whether it permanently help me in real life. So far so good. I’ll take anything at this point. ? Go Oculus
19 REPLIES 19

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

Could it also be from the exercise?

When I bought into VR last year, part of my rationalizing the cost (gaming laptop + headset and accessories) was the fact that this is taking one thing I love (games), and combining it with another thing I NEED (exercise).

What I've noticed is that most of my time playing VR is in relatively short bursts - so I don't set myself up for that "where the hell did my weekend go" realization that my (for example) WoW addiction used to always do to me.

Great point!  I can see this true for people who don’t get good exercise daily. As for me, I have been physically well all my life building homes. I game on the side, as I love tech. But things I love in life, have became blackened by depression and it’s gets very dark at times. I go weeks in a row with no joy . Have now had Oculus Quest  for a week now and am currently playing Vader immortal on Quest and WOW. I love it and yes I am feeling so much better still
To me, this is a break through in Science and how it helps with anxiety and depression. I’ve since been reading articles on the net about therapy and VR. IT WORKS. Thanks for all your comments love you guys!! I’ll keep updating my condition I would love to think it may help someone else as well as myself with depression.    

That's great to hear mate! And yeah definitely keep us informed. I'm happy to hear this technology is bringing joy to your life.

I also love Vadar Immortal, I have completed Episode 1 and 2 but I've not had chance to play Episode 3 yet as I'm currently training for an MMA fight. Hopefully I will play it tonight as I hear it only takes 1 hour to complete so should be doable before bed. The 3rd episode is apparently the last episode so it's 3 x £7.99 but it's so worth it imo as this game is amazing, especially for Star Wars fans! 🙂

BTW out of curiosity are you using Oculus Link to play using a PC? Or are you just playing wireless?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

keeperofkeys
Protege
Playing Quest wireless. Yes Amazing game Vader Immortal and I’m just beginning!  Thanks for commenting 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I assume you mean West Ham United and not Man U. Well if you are a WHU fan then you just went up in my book.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nope. There's only one United!!! ?

jayhawk
Superstar
Were in the age of insecurity. A hell of a lot of people are experiencing deep depression its crazy. I used to treat depression as something easily fixable by making wiser/better choices. Although that has something to do with it, my view on it has completely changed. I think it's way more physiologically related than anything. Check out the documentary 'The Science of Fasting" on Amazon.

keeperofkeys
Protege
Hi everyone just updating conditions for me...my depression is there but still better I haven’t even played that often. It’s definitely a nice tool to have it helps you to have some fun and get aggression along with conflict out of my system.  Holding steady is better then getting worse. Merry Christmas 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Hi everyone just updating conditions for me...my depression is there but still better I haven’t even played that often. It’s definitely a nice tool to have it helps you to have some fun and get aggression along with conflict out of my system.  Holding steady is better then getting worse. Merry Christmas 

Thank, hope you'll enjoy the Christmas too. In case of needing some extra neural activation, maybe Polybius would not be a bad choice - seriously, and especially if you like the genre:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/72301/polybius-awesome-pcvr-game-only-for-rift-and-...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

DavidFly99
Honored Guest

Honestly, I didn't think games could take the edge off depression. I was only able to get out of depression thanks to https://calmerry.com/reviews_type/convenience/ by taking an online therapy course. And I think it's more effective if it's handled by a professional.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Maybe try the Tripp app.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

deee11223
Honored Guest

I'm glad to hear that you're finding some relief and a positive impact on your mental well-being through using the Oculus Quest and virtual reality (VR). It's not uncommon for engaging in enjoyable activities to have a positive effect on mood and provide temporary relief from depression and anxiety symptoms. VR, with its immersive and interactive nature, can offer a unique and potentially therapeutic experience. But you can check them out online.