cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Well I hope something good arrives soon. I have the excellent HP Reverb for seated experiences, but the shitty cable lets it down when it comes to room scale. I'm now saving for a Valve index due to the tracking, but I'm hoping something turns up that is cheaper and better. I doubt it will be a CV2 from Oculus though. I'm starting to believe the only thing coming from Oculus from now on is an Oculus Quests linked to a Pc. Lot's of people left Oculus who would have been involved in making the Oculus CV2, so I don't expect to see one tbh. 

Oculus themselves have said they will keep their VR headsets cheap from now on and I don't think you can make a cheap Oculus CV2 right now. I just wish HP Reverb had stuck a few more camera's on their headset and got rid of that silly cable they use, but the HP Reverb is still an excellent headset when seated. Elite Dangerous Fallout 4 and DCS World etc. All those games look fantastic in the HP Reverb. 

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

That's a cool survey but I reckon you'd need a bigger pool of people to take part in the survey to see more realistic numbers.

I highly doubt more people will be playing Half Life Alyx on Index compared to people playing it on all three Oculus HMD's combined.

Even if you combine the numbers in this survey above it comes to 24% which puts Oculus in joint 2nd place with HTC Vive.

But I think if more people took part in this survey from the VR community I reckon Oculus would come out No.1 on the survey.

Also if Oculus announces CV2 soon and it also matches or exceeds Index specs and comes in between £600-£800 then surely that is checkmate for Oculus?

Every other company has already shown their cards. We just need to wait and see what Oculus pulls out the bag next. We're all waiting for CV2 and expecting CV2. If they come through with a CV2 which has the same specs as Index or better then I'm sure everyone will buy it and I'm 100% certain Oculus would never charge as much as Valve for their next HMD.

Just imagine in December just before Christmas if Oculus make a massive announcement:

Oculus "CV2 + Lone Echo 2 for £799" - Coming June 2020".

Then you'd save £120 on an Index. and have the same specs or better.

But actually I don't think it will be £799, I still think it will be closer to £600-£700.

What kind of fanboy nonsense did you just write dude?

😮 

LOL Mate I think Index rocks and looks proper bad ass specs wise, that's why I'm planning on buying it.

But I still own 3 Oculus HMD's and would love for CV2 to be released.

Maybe it is a dream at the moment, but this is my hope for what happens next. Then I would use both Index and CV2 for different games and have the best of both worlds.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I just bought a Steam controller for 5 bucks:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/Steam_Controller/

Ok, 15 bucks with shipping, but still 😉 I'm probably never going to use it, but if it works like a XBox controller maybe the kids will like it. Some say it's great for seated Index play - and maybe nice for the long Knuckles RMA days, lol. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Actually just bought 2 Steam controllers, can't have the kids fighting over 1 controller in case they like it  o:) 

https://youtu.be/uCgnWqoP4MM

https://youtu.be/8fs2Yh1PFwM

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

pyroth309
Visionary
Steam controller is actually pretty good for FPS games. The Gyro is nice on it and is the closest thing to a mouse. The big downer is the D-pad is horrible and that stops it from being great for a lot of games. For that price though, can't complain. I'm guessing they are stopping production on them and are clearing out inventory since it's saying limited. I may have to grab a couple of em. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

Steam controller is actually pretty good for FPS games. The Gyro is nice on it and is the closest thing to a mouse. The big downer is the D-pad is horrible and that stops it from being great for a lot of games. For that price though, can't complain. I'm guessing they are stopping production on them and are clearing out inventory since it's saying limited. I may have to grab a couple of em. 

Hope you got some - I can see they're all sold out now. Hmmm, I guess it's now a rare collectors' item. Might put one - since it's in mint condition - on eBay for let's say $500? 😄   

Yup that was a joke - my wife says I lack the gene for selling stuff 😉

Wildt
Consultant
I was also tempted for a sec.. then I looked at the unopened Steam Link box, that's been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years since I bought it @ 75% off.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
It's a farewell to the Steam Controller:

https://www.theverge.com/good-deals/2019/11/26/20984123/valve-steam-controller-discontinued-sale-pri...

kojack
MVP
MVP
Valve won't sell Steam Controllers to australia directly, the Steam store page says to buy it from EB Games. That still costs $89.95au.

Whereas I can get a Dual Shock 4 controller from Aliexpress for under $30au. It has an accelerometer / gyroscope like the Steam Controller, a touch input pad and is accepted in Windows 10. Plus no USB dongle needed, it's bluetooth.
It's also much easier to program for all of it's features as a HID device than a Steam Controller. (I refuse to use the Steam API for the Steam Controller)

Although I much prefer the Xbox one controller than other gamepads.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2