New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,348
    Project 2501
    That's a cool survey but I reckon you'd need a bigger pool of people to take part in the survey to see more realistic numbers.

I highly doubt more people will be playing Half Life Alyx on Index compared to people playing it on all three Oculus HMD's combined.

Even if you combine the numbers in this survey above it comes to 24% which puts Oculus in joint 2nd place with HTC Vive.

But I think if more people took part in this survey from the VR community I reckon Oculus would come out No.1 on the survey.

Also if Oculus announces CV2 soon and it also matches or exceeds Index specs and comes in between £600-£800 then surely that is checkmate for Oculus?

Every other company has already shown their cards. We just need to wait and see what Oculus pulls out the bag next. We're all waiting for CV2 and expecting CV2. If they come through with a CV2 which has the same specs as Index or better then I'm sure everyone will buy it and I'm 100% certain Oculus would never charge as much as Valve for their next HMD.

Just imagine in December just before Christmas if Oculus make a massive announcement:

Oculus "CV2 + Lone Echo 2 for £799" - Coming June 2020".

Then you'd save £120 on an Index. and have the same specs or better.

But actually I don't think it will be £799, I still think it will be closer to £600-£700.

What kind of fanboy nonsense did you just write dude?

:o 
    LOL Mate I think Index rocks and looks proper bad ass specs wise, that's why I'm planning on buying it.

But I still own 3 Oculus HMD's and would love for CV2 to be released.

Maybe it is a dream at the moment, but this is my hope for what happens next. Then I would use both Index and CV2 for different games and have the best of both worlds.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,080 Valuable Player
    I just bought a Steam controller for 5 bucks:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/Steam_Controller/

Ok, 15 bucks with shipping, but still ;-) I'm probably never going to use it, but if it works like a XBox controller maybe the kids will like it. Some say it's great for seated Index play - and maybe nice for the long Knuckles RMA days, lol. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited November 2019
    Actually just bought 2 Steam controllers, can't have the kids fighting over 1 controller in case they like it  o:) 

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 2,331 Valuable Player
    edited November 2019
    Steam controller is actually pretty good for FPS games. The Gyro is nice on it and is the closest thing to a mouse. The big downer is the D-pad is horrible and that stops it from being great for a lot of games. For that price though, can't complain. I'm guessing they are stopping production on them and are clearing out inventory since it's saying limited. I may have to grab a couple of em. 
    pyroth309 said:
    Steam controller is actually pretty good for FPS games. The Gyro is nice on it and is the closest thing to a mouse. The big downer is the D-pad is horrible and that stops it from being great for a lot of games. For that price though, can't complain. I'm guessing they are stopping production on them and are clearing out inventory since it's saying limited. I may have to grab a couple of em. 

Hope you got some - I can see they're all sold out now. Hmmm, I guess it's now a rare collectors' item. Might put one - since it's in mint condition - on eBay for let's say $500? :D   

Yup that was a joke - my wife says I lack the gene for selling stuff ;)

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,297 Valuable Player
    I was also tempted for a sec.. then I looked at the unopened Steam Link box, that's been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years since I bought it @ 75% off.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb

• kojackkojack Posts: 7,056 Volunteer Moderator
    Valve won't sell Steam Controllers to australia directly, the Steam store page says to buy it from EB Games. That still costs $89.95au.

Whereas I can get a Dual Shock 4 controller from Aliexpress for under $30au. It has an accelerometer / gyroscope like the Steam Controller, a touch input pad and is accepted in Windows 10. Plus no USB dongle needed, it's bluetooth.
    It's also much easier to program for all of it's features as a HID device than a Steam Controller. (I refuse to use the Steam API for the Steam Controller)

Although I much prefer the Xbox one controller than other gamepads.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
    edited November 2019

Looks good, but the 2.8 Ghz cpu might not be great for driving the Index - if you want 120+ Hz. Even 90 fps may be a challenge in some games (Boneworks)... 

• Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    pyroth309 said:
    I'm guessing they are stopping production on them and are clearing out inventory since it's saying limited. I may have to grab a couple of em. 
    I jumped on this straight away. Sadly, that was another thing not available for us Canadians.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,357 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    I just bought a Steam controller for 5 bucks:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/Steam_Controller/

You and everyone else it seems. Out of Stock!

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:

Hope you got some - I can see they're all sold out now. Hmmm, I guess it's now a rare collectors' item. Might put one - since it's in mint condition - on eBay for let's say $500? :D   

Yup that was a joke - my wife says I lack the gene for selling stuff ;)

Yep, got 2 of them lol. Glad I did since they seem gone now. I also prefer the Xbox controller (i have an elite) for most games but theres' a few I do like the steam controllers for.
    RuneSR2 said:
    i figured that's what it was for that price. Rip
    edited November 2019
    Take note Mr Zuckerberg. You're doing it all wrong. If you want those billions of VR headsets in the wild then you need to offer them for $5. Take the hit then reel in the profit from the software sales or at least recoup the loss.

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,870 Valuable Player

Valve Index is Sold Out Following ‘Half-Life: Alyx’ Announcement

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index-sold-out-stock-half-life-alyx/

2xan55713klf.png
    https://vrawards.aixr.org/
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Art3mis
    kevinw729 said:

Valve Index is Sold Out Following ‘Half-Life: Alyx’ Announcement

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index-sold-out-stock-half-life-alyx/

I was starting to suspect so. Ordered mine last week and it's not shipped yet:

edited November 2019
    Index is not sold out over here (EU) - it says the usual 4 - 8 days delivery for all items (kit, controllers, base stations, hmd). Then again, the price over here does correspond to $ 1200 for the kit. 

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,679 Valuable Player
    I bet though it has had equal effect on Rift S and Quest sales for the consumers looking for a cheaper entry level.
    This does seem to be the situation in the US - which also may indicate that there will be no price reductions tomorrow:

Lol

Maybe that means all the old stock is finally cleared out. I'm going to order another one when it restocks and see if glare is any better.
    edited November 2019
    pyroth309 said:
    Maybe that means all the old stock is finally cleared out. I'm going to order another one when it restocks and see if glare is any better.

I'm sure you're aware of what The Clint would say to that idea  B) 

Image result for do you feel lucky

That said, I really don't notice the glare - although it's there (hmmm, nice rhyme, lol).

You don't see any posts about the glare on Index Reddit anymore. To me finding the right angle and getting the lenses close reduce the glare a lot. Haven't been thinking about the glare for long - the inverted pixel columns are the main problem, not the glare. 2c.

Maybe better not to get into that subject, ignorance may be bliss  o:)

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/dzyqvo/scan_lines_or_pixel_inversion_in_new_batches_of/

It's a big day - this is probably the first confirmed delivery directly from Valve:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/e2lxf0/a_great_day_for_canadia/

Lesson 1: How To Accelerate Your Divorce

- and @Shadowmask72 thought my hand woven persian carpet was bad, but at least it was clean  :(  ;)

Someone posted in my Reddit post today. If this is true (citation needed) then wowsers. Judging by the many comments in my news post it seems there are a lot of positive and interested parties.

ValveNewsNetwork claims insiders say they’ve had as many orders since the HL:A announcement as in the entire time before it.

Art3mis
    Someone posted in my Reddit post today. If this is true (citation needed) then wowsers. Judging by the many comments in my news post it seems there are a lot of positive and interested parties.

ValveNewsNetwork claims insiders say they’ve had as many orders since the HL:A announcement as in the entire time before it.

I'm a little unclear if this is orders for HLA alone, or Index/HLA combo.

If for HLA alone, would that be compared to sales of Half Life 1 & 2?

If they got orders for Index, then would that be compared to sales of the Index since it's announcement?

Either way, the draw power of HLA is impressive
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,870 Valuable Player
    Speculation was that Valve had seen since launch some 45,000 actual headset sales - this was also limited to the unique fabrication capability Valve had gone for. So S suggestion of a doubling for the announcement means that Valve may be racing to the one million initial roll out faster than competitors.
    2xan55713klf.png
    https://vrawards.aixr.org/
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:

I'm sure you're aware of what The Clint would say to that idea  B) 

Image result for do you feel lucky

That said, I really don't notice the glare - although it's there (hmmm, nice rhyme, lol).

You don't see any posts about the glare on Index Reddit anymore. To me finding the right angle and getting the lenses close reduce the glare a lot. Haven't been thinking about the glare for long - the inverted pixel columns are the main problem, not the glare. 2c.

Maybe better not to get into that subject, ignorance may be bliss  o:)

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/dzyqvo/scan_lines_or_pixel_inversion_in_new_batches_of/
    Yea I tried all of that when I had mine and it made it a bit better but it still blinded me in several games. I tried everything possible. Ultimately, It wasn't the reason I sold it but it's been the main reason I haven't repurchased one yet.

I'm hoping it was just something with my specific headset as I did see some people get RMA's with the same problem and claim the replacement was much improved. I'm looking forward to try again. 
    Art3mis
    What's this pixel inversion thing? This is the first I'm hearing of it