cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you play steam vr games with the link?

PeterDoubt
Explorer

I have both a working cable and an active extension cable that works with Rift games, although I'm having trouble with audio not coming out of the headset. When I try to run Steam games, they won't start. I'm using virtual desktop on the Quest app to start the steam vr games. They try to start and I get a small black screen, then nothing and back to the play icon.
16 REPLIES 16

michael_a_mcghe
Explorer
Are you selecting the "Oculus VR mode" option? Do not use the "Steam VR mode" option when starting up the game. It should ask you which one before the game runs

michael_a_mcghe
Explorer
Audio is a pain though, make sure you set your audio both on the headset setting while wearing it and on the app on the computer

PeterDoubt
Explorer

Are you selecting the "Oculus VR mode" option? Do not use the "Steam VR mode" option when starting up the game. It should ask you which one before the game runs

I don't get that option when I start a game. What steps should I use? I start the Oculis pc software and then plug in the Quest. I've got steam open in the background. I select the virtual desktop and then click the game I want and hit play ( all with touch controller, of course. I get a smaller black screen and then the play button returns.

Thanks

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Have you turned on “Allow Unknown Sources” in the PC app Settings menu?

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

PeterDoubt
Explorer

nalex66 said:

Have you turned on “Allow Unknown Sources” in the PC app Settings menu?

If you're talking about the Oculis app, sure have.

PeterDoubt
Explorer
I did get an option to open the Steam Vr mode or to “play (title of game)”. No Oculis vr mode.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I’ve found that some SteamVR games don’t launch properly unless I start them from within SteamVR Home. I always launch SteamVR from the desktop with the Oculus app already open. Then I put on my headset and from the menu inside SteamVR Home, I launch the game.

PeterDoubt
Explorer

nalex66 said:

I’ve found that some SteamVR games don’t launch properly unless I start them from within SteamVR Home. I always launch SteamVR from the desktop with the Oculus app already open. Then I put on my headset and from the menu inside SteamVR Home, I launch the game.

Thanks Nalex. That's how I'm doing it. I have a possibly stupid question, though. Is SteamVR a different app from The regular Steam app? Maybe I'm missing something...

nalex66
MVP
MVP
You do need to install SteamVR in addition to the main Steam app--in your
library, there is a drop-down to switch from Games to Tools. In the Tools
section, you should be able to find SteamVR--click on that and hit
Install.

In the Steam desktop app, you should see a VR button at the top right part of the window if SteamVR is installed (beside the Big Picture Mode button). Press that to launch the SteamVR app.