cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you play steam vr games with the link?

PeterDoubt
Explorer

I have both a working cable and an active extension cable that works with Rift games, although I'm having trouble with audio not coming out of the headset. When I try to run Steam games, they won't start. I'm using virtual desktop on the Quest app to start the steam vr games. They try to start and I get a small black screen, then nothing and back to the play icon.
16 REPLIES 16

PeterDoubt
Explorer

nalex66 said:

You do need to install SteamVR in addition to the main Steam app--in your
library, there is a drop-down to switch from Games to Tools. In the Tools
section, you should be able to find SteamVR--click on that and hit
Install.

In the Steam desktop app, you should see a VR button at the top right part of the window if SteamVR is installed (beside the Big Picture Mode button). Press that to launch the SteamVR app.

I figured that out right after I posted. Just got done checking out Skyrim VR...Boy I feel stupid, but I searched for Steam VR on google a few times and never found the right information. There isn't a good complete tutorial on setting the link up with Steam that I could find. Much thanks to you and Michael!!
Now if I can get the sound working on Oculus. It does work with Steam VR but comes from both my laptop and my headset. I'll look into Windows settings. I just got a new laptop for this (and more uses) - an MSI GE 75 BF deal. I'm new to gaming ps's but not to computers by any stretch.

Again, thanks!!

PeterDoubt
Explorer

Audio is a pain though, make sure you set your audio both on the headset setting while wearing it and on the app on the computer

@michael.a.mcgheejr, what headset setting are you referring to? I get sound with Steam games but not through the Oculus app. I've got the headset checked on the app, but no sound. The oculus doesn't show up in Windows, either...

nalex66
MVP
MVP
When I started using Link, I wasn’t getting any sound through the headset (except sometimes in SteamVR). Here’s what I had to do to get it working:
  • Opt into the PTC beta version of the PC Oculus software. That installed virtual audio device drivers. 
  • Opt out of the PTC to roll back to the stable version of the PC software (1.43). The drivers remained installed. 
  • With the Quest connected over Link, go to the headset settings in the Dash menu and make sure the Quest headphones were selected and the volume was at 100%. 
Once I did that, the audio automatically switched to the Quest when Link was active, and I could adjust the volume with the Quest’s volume buttons. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

PeterDoubt
Explorer

nalex66 said:

When I started using Link, I wasn’t getting any sound through the headset (except sometimes in SteamVR). Here’s what I had to do to get it working:
  • Opt into the PTC beta version of the PC Oculus software. That installed virtual audio device drivers. 
  • Opt out of the PTC to roll back to the stable version of the PC software (1.43). The drivers remained installed. 
  • With the Quest connected over Link, go to the headset settings in the Dash menu and make sure the Quest headphones were selected and the volume was at 100%. 
Once I did that, the audio automatically switched to the Quest when Link was active, and I could adjust the volume with the Quest’s volume buttons. 

Thanks for your help again, nalex66
I've tried this, but perhaps not completely. When I opted in to PTC, I got the notice that the new software was loading, but it disappeared and I never saw a notice of completion.  Do yo you have to do anything to roll back to 1.43 or does it do that automatically? I don't have the drivers, so I'll try it again. 
Edit: I have the Realtek Audio HD driver and audio console on an MSI GE75. I've seen some talk of removing that driver...also, does the headset need to be connected when you opt in to PTC?
Edit2: okay all, I got it working. It took a few times but it finally updated and then I had to restart. Then it updated again with another restart and I opted out of PTC and restarted again and it reverted back to version 1.43. The Quest headset now shows up ind sounds settings. I did have to revert back manually to Realtek Speakers after using the Quest.. thanks!

Punnisher8
Honored Guest
Is there a complete tutorial "for dummies" as to how to play steam vr games on the oculus quest?  I know nothing about this stuff and I'm trying to help my 13 year old...  Also, it looks like he needs to have Developer Mode access, which means he needs to pass a concept review???  what have I gotten myself into???  😞

FantasticMrOly
Honored Guest
Thanks for the tip on installing steam VR. The oculus Quest was working all good without it but a couple games recently didn’t but after installing the steam VR app it works now

kojack
MVP
MVP

Also, it looks like he needs to have Developer Mode access, which means he needs to pass a concept review???  what have I gotten myself into???  😞

Developer mode isn't needed for Quest Link.
If you did want developer mode, the concept review part is only to get a game you produced onto the Quest store, it's not needed to register as a developer.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2