cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i came to a discovery on why video looks worse on the index or reverb than the cv1

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
i havent seen the index or reverb, but i have read this post by runesr2;

"
Watched a few movies using BigScreen Revive with Index res 200%, (=
solid 90 fps) and it's close to being in a theater. But one movie was
mkv another mp4, although 1080p it's just not good enough. You need 4K.
But
that's just me, I'm sure many persons with little knowledge about VR
would be totally blown away. With 4K and virtual surround sound I think
Index might be really close to IMAX at home
"

i decided to tell him in that thread that he probably wasn't using the settings i use for the cv1 to watch video, and i forgot my settings for watching videos, so i dusted off my cv1 and set it up and installed the software etc and got this fine picture of my virtual desktop settings for watching videos;

f7fpd1nr4u85.jpg

i watched a few videos and saw a artifact i hadn't noticed before, as a benefit of the cv1 screen-door effect. by there being a screen-door effect, the eye making the image more clear in the one spot looked at while blurry the other areas, you don't see the screen-door effect uniformly.

this adds a depth factor to the image, seeing the screen-door effect lines acts to add in detail that isn't there in the actual video frame. and that SDE isn't in the index or reverb, at least not to the level it is in the cv1.

therefore i deduced watching the same video in the index or reverb without the cv1 SDE quality would lack some depth in the image that the cv1 has. if you  had the eye tracking blur some of the video you might have the same effect but you might not, hard to say.

of note is the fact i often use negativescreen to produce visual effects in my video,s sometimes, so i know a beneficial video artifact looks like when i see one. the SDE adds in a lot of tiny effects that are attractive, using my virtual desktop settings above and in full screen video watching 1080p video, in the cv1.

but the cv1 is still a bit tight near my right cheek bone under my eye so i cant wear the cv1 for too long. i would like the cv2 to have a nice padding on the bones under the eye please...
28 REPLIES 28

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

dopamine is released by feedback, and negativity releases more feedback = more dopamine.

therefore,
if oculus and company really want to push the dopamine button theyre pressing (what with the current vr headsets they sell being sub par either on comfort or ipd control), they would release an affordable high resolution display vr headset which would effectively remove the rifts SDE, which would then make 1080p videos on the new vr headset look sub par to how they can look on the rift cv1.

MikeF
Trustee
So video on a low res display looks better than a high res display because screen door adds detail?

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
index screens can really pop with color. I had a downloaded copy of blueray 3D Tangled that i played in Big Screen and WOW something like that the index really shines, we are getting pretty close to the Imax experience. CV1 and Vive have always looked like shit with movies.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

MikeF said:

So video on a low res display looks better than a high res display because screen door adds detail?

i guess so. that zork guy never watched the videos on the cv1 with the settings i showed, i guess. just bigscreen.

the more you transfer data the more data is lost, garbage in garbage out. hence why 480i/p content looks better on a crt tube tv than a 1080p monitor.

Calibos
Heroic Explorer
I've never scratched my head so much while reading a thread.

Watching 1080p movies on my 1280x1440 pixel per eye RGB Stripe LCD Oculus GO/Rift S looks much much better than on my old 1080x1200 pixels per eye Pentile OLED Rift CV1 despite the Blacks  not being as deep on the LCD compared to the OLED. 

Why would lower res and more SDE make the CV1 look better than Rift S/GO/Index/Reverb......oh thats right....it doesnt !!!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

zork2001 said:

index screens can really pop with color. I had a downloaded copy of blueray 3D Tangled that i played in Big Screen and WOW something like that the index really shines, we are getting pretty close to the Imax experience. CV1 and Vive have always looked like shit with movies.

Agreed, my initial post was about Index needing true 4K for optimal movie quality, it was not about CV1. Although I'm a big fan of oled and CV1, Index is *much* superior watching movies compared to CV1, including fov, res and SDE.

But with no proper 4K upscaling (seems to require 6700K or better cpu for software 2D players), my Sony 85" looks so much better than Index that - for now - I don't watch movies in any of my hmds. But I'd love to do that when quality improves. 

I still think it's a shame that Oculus spend so much on developing games, while an app allowing Rift users to see Netflix and play back blu-ray 3D and 4K content using streaming or external drives with physical discs may have worked so many wonders and increased adoption... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Seeing as no one has mentioned the Reverb and me having one, the resolution is superb and so damn clear it makes the CV1 look very dated. I played Gravity 3D inside the Reverb and it was as close to 4k as I've seen in VR.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Wildt
Consultant

Calibos said:

Try reading his "A.I." thread.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Calibos
Heroic Explorer

Wildt said:

Calibos said:

Try reading his "A.I." thread.

I'll have a look for it later.

I wonder is the point he is driving at that SDE makes the image look sharper? Back in the day I used to own Panasonic AE series LCD projectors. They had a lens/prism technology they called 'Smoothscreen' that blurred the black interpixel gaps to greatly reduce SDE. A similar tech I imagine to what Samsung used in their Odyssey+ WMR HMD's. People used to complain that this tech made the Panasonic AE series LCD projectors image too soft and many people preferred the perceived faux sharpness enhancement caused by the SDE. Myself and AE series Projector fans on the other hand absolutely loved the Smoothscreen Tech because to our eyes by removing the SDE it gave the image a more celluloid film like quality rather than the artificial digitally sharpness of LCD projectors and surely that was the goal of Home Cinema, to replicate the kind of image we saw in the real Cinemas at the time.

I still don't understand his point that 1080p content would look better on a lower res Pentile display with much more SDE than on a HMD that is actually approaching the point where it has enough pixels to render a Virtual screen with 1920x1080=2 million of its 2160x2160=4.5 million pixels per eye like a HP Reverb.

I'll get to do this very comparison in a couple of days. The Rift S I bought my brother in the BF sales means I'll get my loaner CV1 back off him soon and the HP Reverb I bought for Sims and Virtual Cinema in the HP BF sale should arrive before the weekend. I've been using an Oculus GO for my Virtual Cinema usage the last couple of months so will be able to compare all 4 HMD's for a short time. ie. CV1, GO, Rift S & HP Reverb, though obviously I don't expect much difference between GO and Rift S as apparently they use the same Panel and Lenses. I'm confident that Guy Godins Virtual Desktop Remote Desktop streaming to GO is not compromising the image quality at all but if it is then Streaming to GO while Rift S is wired and both having the same display and lenses should highlight whatever effect the wireless streaming compression is having on the image.