cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steamvr Stutter with Link?

giodude
Explorer
Hi! I've been using oculus link since its launch, and oculus store games run completely fine. However, when i launch anything through steamvr, i get an odd stuttering effect. It's almost like i'm running at a lower framerate, which shouldn't be the case since i have plenty GPU and CPU headroom, as well as the fact that it happens while i'm just sitting in the steamvr menu. It makes some games like beat saber unplayable while making most other just incredibly annoying. Does anybody else have this issue? Is there a way to fix it? Thanks.
27 REPLIES 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

ohgrant said:

By gathering a baseline maybe everyone can pitch in and solve the root issue so Oculus can correct it.  I have a similar build as you but I have a lesser graphics card with 3GB

3GB is 1GB lower than the Oculus minimum specs. I would say your video card is the bottleneck and if you correct that your oasis awaits. JMO . 

I thought the minimum RAM was 8GB? Windows needs 4GB on it's own.

edit: nevermind...4GB VRAM, not system RAM. My bad. 😛

ohgrant
Superstar

Spuzzum said:

ohgrant said:

By gathering a baseline maybe everyone can pitch in and solve the root issue so Oculus can correct it.  I have a similar build as you but I have a lesser graphics card with 3GB

3GB is 1GB lower than the Oculus minimum specs. I would say your video card is the bottleneck and if you correct that your oasis awaits. JMO . 

I think he means 3GB video memory. Oculus requires 8 to even install. 
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Anonymous
Not applicable

ohgrant said:

Spuzzum said:

ohgrant said:

I think he means 3GB video memory. Oculus requires 8 to even install. 

Yeah...that's why I corrected myself. 😛

giodude
Explorer

It was caused by having EIST enabled on my motherboard.  Don't overclock any DDR4 memory and disable the eist setting.

Just to make sure we have the same issue before i try this since it seems the most plausible, both your cpu and GPU are not maxed right? And it happens in the regular steamvr menu?

American_DJ1985
Protege
@giodude Yes, that is correct.

udon000
Honored Guest
I have same problem only in Steam VR...

zhammond
Honored Guest
I am having a stutter issue in Steam VR when using the Oculus Link. However, I can wirelessly use Steam VR through virtual desktop with minimal lag. It doesn't really make sense that I am having more trouble with the cable. I have a GTX 970, 24G ram, and an i7-4790K. 

Edit: Turns out I just needed to close everything else running on my computer (Not necessary for me when running Virtual Desktop). I guess with the Oculus Link you have both Oculus and SteamVR running but with Virtual Desktop you only need SteamVR running. I guess this makes a significant enough difference in the load on your computer.

Should_be_Blue
Explorer
Did you allready tried Opencomposite to bypass SteamVR?

To run Vr games from Steam over Opencomposite instead off SteamVR helps me alot with No Mans Sky VR. Its not perfect at all, but way less shuttering as running over SteamVR.

I am on Ryzen 7 3700x and RTX 2080 Super and Oculus Link. With SteamVR i barely wasnt able to run NMS on "Advanced" Settings without anoying shuttering and freezings. With Opencomposite i am able to run on High Settings with almost no issues. Well, NMS is still a mess with performance, but for example Boneworks works perfect.

CodyPlayzGamez
Honored Guest
I'm having the same issue. Oculus Store games run amazing, but SteamVR games run really stuttery. OpenComposite helped with my SteamVR games, but then when I tried my Oculus Games again the reverse was happening. With OpenComposite, my Oculus Store games were running stuttery, but my SteamVR games weren't.

Yobiwan29
Adventurer
Same here. My controllers are stuttering in SteamVR home and games. Open Composite can fix it but some games are not compatible (The Lab or Boneworks). I've tested on a Rift S and same issue. W10 fresh install, nothing else running, and again these stuttering. I'm afraid Half Life Alyx won't be compatible with Open Composite so the VD solution is an option but latency holds me back...
Oculus Quest 2 & 3 - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i9 9900K - 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz - RTX 3080