cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the next BIG game from Team Oculus?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Seems Asgard's Wrath and Stormland have made their VR marks although from reading the thoughts around here and other places neither game has had the same addictive  qualities as No Man's Sky or widely revered as Lone Echo (that's my personal interpretation). Valve are taking all   a lot of the credit right now for pushing VR into the mainstream with HL:Alyx which must hurt a little if you've been championing the Oculus cause up until now (Oculus The Beat Sabre Quest aside). So what's next for team Oculus. Surely they can bring it back into the fold. Lone Echo 2 was announced but what about a partnership with Ubisoft to bring Assassin's Creed VR or Splinter Cell VR games to the platform. Oculus are really pushing Vader Immortal but that's a good use of the Star Wars Licence but not a full-on game in the same league as the others I've just mentioned. I think now would have been a great time for Oculus to announce exclusivity of Resident Evil 7 but I guess the talks with Capcom didn't come to any agreements.  So what's next Oculus don't let Valve take all the limelight for all the hard ground-work you already put in to VR. All you need to do is come up with a teaser trailer of <insert big game name here> with a logo and coming soon and it will raise heart rates. This town is big enough for the both of you.

😘 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
23 REPLIES 23

ShocksVR
Superstar
There could be some surprise titles that get announced shortly before release.
Asgard's Wrath was such a title. It was being worked on for nearly 3 years, but it was only announced back in March before it's October release.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

ShocksVR said:

There could be some surprise titles that get announced shortly before release.
Asgard's Wrath was such a title. It was being worked on for nearly 3 years, but it was only announced back in March before it's October release.

The announcement trailer is from February 5 2019, and you're right it was in development many years before. Funny, I could have sworn I've read about the game in 2018, but doing a detailed search using Google I get no results from 2018. I might be thinking of Stormland which was announced June 2018... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I see a couple of titles in the works, but with not much talk about future PC -VR headsets, I have to wonder what will come after that. I'm still not sure if Oculus Quest will be Rift 2. I guess only time will tell.

Anonymous
Not applicable
wing commander VR 

Anonymous
Not applicable
2020 will be about a Go 2 so - any talk about a Rift 2 might be out the door until 2021. There might be a Quest Pro I heard rumors of that instead of releasing a GO 2 thus doping GO and instead moving Quest into that position and lowering the price of Quest 1 while Quest Pro will take over the current price later down the road.

As for software - It sounds like they will focus on mobile titles a little more than PC titles - not that they wont work on both - but because GO/Mobile headset is up next as for a refresh on the hardware so they would be better to push their events for that.

Any upgrade to GO will more than likely place it pretty close to Quest in terms of current hardware with the only difference will be possible camera spots and coming with controllers or not. Witch would make the most sense for next anyways. As for Rift 2 - am not sure - too much hush hush atm on that front:) It sounds like they're happy with the Rift S for now and with Quest Link to still sell PC software until 2021. Then we should hear about a Rift 2 by early 2021 or late Oct 2020.

Personally - I think they mess up their release cycle pretty badly. Quest/Go should have been release at the same time this year and their Rift 2/better S next year instead of releasing a different product every year. There is just too much over lap and hardware improvements that going to make the others just feel out of place.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
BTW, I hope this is ok for me to post this in here.

But regarding games to look forward to playing in VR on our Rift S or CV1...what about Cyberpunk 2077?

I know it's not designed for VR but will we be able to play it in VR regardless using some kind of software? Does bigscreen or virtual desktop work for this yet?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

I see a couple of titles in the works, but with not much talk about future PC -VR headsets, I have to wonder what will come after that. I'm still not sure if Oculus Quest will be Rift 2. I guess only time will tell.

I'd only ever accept that if they gave it a battery that could last 6+ hours. I hear current Quest only last 2 hours? That's the one thing that puts me off Quest.

I still really hope Oculus push for high end VR and bring us CV2 within next 12-18 months.

I'd even be happy if they announced it next year and said it's not coming for another year or so, at least we could all talk over the specs and have something to look forward to! :wink:
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
If it uses the same Engine as The Witcher 3 which I don't think it does then you can play it on a big screen but probably won't get any 3D effect.  If it uses an engine which is compatible then you might be able to hack-it with things like Tri-def and get a big screen and 3D effect. As for using VorpX or something similar to get pseudo VR who knows how that will turn out.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

I'd only ever accept that if they gave it a battery that could last 6+ hours. I hear current Quest only last 2 hours? That's the one thing that puts me off Quest.

I still really hope Oculus push for high end VR and bring us CV2 within next 12-18 months.

I get about 2-3 hours out of my Quest and by then I am usually done playing whatever game I was playing to break for at least a few hours or work. By the time I pick it back up - its already charge and ready for another 2-3 hours of play. I also have a battery pack and can get another hour if I really need to. With Link - that limitation is going to be even a lesser one if your goal is to still have a mobile headset + play PC games on the side.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

I think now would have been a great time for Oculus to announce exclusivity of Resident Evil 7 but I guess the talks with Capcom didn't come to any agreements.  So what's next Oculus don't let Valve take all the limelight for all the hard ground-work you already put in to VR. 

I know what you mean, I've been waiting for Resident Evil 7 to come to PC VR for years now, just doesn't seem to be happening.

I wonder if Oculus even know that we're waiting for this? Do you think we need to all message them on twitter or something?