cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software install error, keeps telling me to restart. Can someone please help?

JD9852
Honored Guest
I got my Oculus Rift S in and tried installing the software. It seems to get near the end of installation but then gives me a restart error. I have tried installing 10 different times. My PC meets the recommended specs. I looked at the Oculus discussions and tried some of the advice.
--Went into Regedit and there was no reordering option
--Disabled anti-virus/firewall
--Deleted Visual C++ versions all the way back to 2012
--Deleted the Oculus cache data, restarted PC and tried again
Still the same thing. There is a folder that says OculusSetup--DownloadCache that has 7.33 gb. Not sure what that means.

I read that resetting Windows has worked for some people so I'm considering that. Any other ideas? I'm so frustrated at this point that I'm close to giving up and sending it back.
7 REPLIES 7

cafs1
Explorer
you're not the one buddy... I'm about to return this beta product to Best Buy

cafs1
Explorer
I found this and fixed here: 

Ok, I just fixed mine. Hopefully this can help some of you too. I had to go into device manager, and change the driver for the ASMedia USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller. For some reason, even though that controller works fine for other USB 3.0 hardware, it causes problems for the Rift S.

Right click it, choose "update driver", then choose "browse my computer for driver software". Choose "let me pick from a list..". Untick "show compatible hardware", choose "(standard USB Host Controller) from the menu on the left and select "USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller" from the box on the right.

This will replace the ASMedia USB driver with a generic USB3.0 driver from Microsoft. As soon as I did this, the Oculus Rift S sensor check worked fine, and I could use the Rift S without and dramas.

JD9852
Honored Guest

cafs1 said:

I found this and fixed here: 

Ok, I just fixed mine. Hopefully this can help some of you too. I had to go into device manager, and change the driver for the ASMedia USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller. For some reason, even though that controller works fine for other USB 3.0 hardware, it causes problems for the Rift S.

Right click it, choose "update driver", then choose "browse my computer for driver software". Choose "let me pick from a list..". Untick "show compatible hardware", choose "(standard USB Host Controller) from the menu on the left and select "USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller" from the box on the right.

This will replace the ASMedia USB driver with a generic USB3.0 driver from Microsoft. As soon as I did this, the Oculus Rift S sensor check worked fine, and I could use the Rift S without and dramas.

Thanks for the reply but I don't think that would help me here. I'm not sure what to change in my device manager. I just keep getting this message near the end of the software install. fpwn7dp0oyvv.jpg

Lighthouse
Honored Guest
I have the exact same problem. First the Oculus software asked to update driver, it wouldn't just respawned the same picture and request, so I uninstalled the whole thing and now I get thei Restart computer error. I have GTX 2080 and latest nvidia drivers. 

cafs1
Explorer
I've gave up and return it to the store... Bought the Samsung Odyssey+ for $229 on MS Store

JD9852
Honored Guest
I finally got it working with the help of customer support! Here's what worked for me:

1. Download Windows 10 Update Assistant. Upgrade Windows 10.
2. Restart in safe mode. Delete EVERY Oculus folder and file you can find.
3. Reboot in normal mode.
4. Install Oculus software from scratch.
5. Now here's where it got weird. The installation got to 7.31gb/7.34 and froze. I shut installation down and it started it back up again and it finished.

I hope those instructions can help someone though because I was about to give up. Even though the device is great when it works I don't know if I'm going to keep it because the software is such a pain in the a$$. I shouldn't have to jump through so many hoops to get this expensive hardware working and it obviously doesn't play well with some Windows updates.

PS: I ran into another problem where it says connected and active but Oculus software needs to restart. This error keeps looping. I'm trying to fix it now.

grazzman
Honored Guest
So i did a windows update, no luck, Java update, no luck, unplugged the headset, worked like a charm.