cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest Link - as good as a Rift?

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I am really worried that we may have to start "managing expectations" regarding what the Quest Link performance can achieve. I see the same old "over hyperbole" from the usual suspects on forums, and not helped by messages like these in the media:

ms8t2c2zdkei.png

https://venturebeat.com/2019/11/03/oculus-link-beta-what-to-expect-from-linking-pc-and-standalone-vr...
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
140 REPLIES 140

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Quest 2 second half of next year????

"In Q1 2020, Qualcomm plans to introduce the latest version of their XR reference headset based on XR2, which the company offers up as a blueprint for headset makers through its HMD Accelerator Program. Qualcomm expects that the first commercial headsets to launch with XR2 will come in the second half of 2020."

https://www.roadtovr.com/qualcomm-snapdragon-xr2-5g-announcement/?fbclid=IwAR1xuLAtQwb_3Qh1_RcUpEo0p...

VR will definitely tackoff if this happens. 3K x 3K per eye is what VR needs, if I'm reading correctly. Hopefully Oculus won't screw it up by making an uncomfortable VR headset though.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Hmmm, yes, res beyond Reverb would be awesome, and a RTX 5080 Ti to drive it  B)

I'm still sad about the 10-20 fps I'm getting in Lone Echo Index res 200% and 4xMSAA...

For XR2 I can't help thinking that a GTX 1060 is about 10 times faster than Quest, and if XR2 has twice the gpu performance as Quest, then GTX 1060 will be like 5 times faster than Quest 2? 😉 

xomshio6t8xf.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Luciferous
Consultant
I guess but if it has a link to the PC which I am sure is a given, then it won't be using the on-board processor but the PC.

Which means higher res screens, refresh rates and maybe some of the half dome technologies. Plus better wireless gaming.

cmaffia2019
Protege
I have both Rift S and Quest.  Rift S still better graphically.  Yes, natively the Quest is slightly better than Rift S but there's significant downgrade once you use Link. 

So apples to apples comparison to the Rift S, the Quest is heavier, less comfortable, PC graphics less superior & there is a slight input lag.......I am struggling with how this is a "Rift S killer"?  

Thinks not!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I guess but if it has a link to the PC which I am sure is a given, then it won't be using the on-board processor but the PC.

Which means higher res screens, refresh rates and maybe some of the half dome technologies. Plus better wireless gaming.

I agree, but, in order to fully harness the power from your PC a Link that goes into your GPU DisplayPort plus usb 3.0/3.1 will be necessary imho.  A single usb 3.0/3.1 connection is never going to accomplish the data speeds necessary for good PCVR.  Esp. with high demand Flight and Racing sims.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Luciferous
Consultant
Well when I say link I just mean a connection. The current link was added as an after thought but I am pretty sure that won’t be the case next time.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Tyriel made this video:

https://youtu.be/kMNX0OSaJ0w

I did find it very disappointing and think his comparisons may be highly problematic - that's why I did not post the video in here before. I wrote this comment on Reddit (and also to Tyriel directly on YouTube - he has not provided an answer, which to me makes it all even worse):

I don't see any disclosure of ss levels used. I guess we have all gone to school, and what can we conclude of a comparison when not knowing if Tyriel used for example ss 1.0 or 2.0 for the CV1?

I like Tyriel's video and surely it must be a lot of work, but to adhere to just a minimum of scientific standards it's extremely important to disclose ss levels used. Right now Tyriel could have compared super-blurry CV1 ss 1.0 to ultra-sharp Rift-S ss 2.0, we simply don't know! (Ok, he probably did not do that, this is just to illustrate the potential bias)

If Tyriel used CV1 ss 1.0, this comparison may be dangerously misleading. Ss greatly affects CV1 image quality, ss 1.0 vs 2.0 is like night vs. day, but it seems ss does not affect Quest image quality a lot due to the streaming.

In short, be very careful making any conclusions when ss levels are not provided.

Also note that ss may have no impact on the SDE seen in Tyriel's video, but it may greatly affect the image quality and sharpness. I consider it extremely unprofessional not to disclose the ss levels used - maybe easier to accept if he just used default settings to compare for example Index vs. Cosmos vs. Rift-S, but still we don't know if he did that! Unless we agree that ss has no impact on image quality, Tyriel's comparisons seem highly problematic and potentially misleading - like "I just bought Quest + Link, but my CV1 ss 2.0 is so much sharper - but I based my purchase on Tyriel's video that showed that Quest was better!???". 

There're tons of comments showing that Tyriel's results are accepted as pure facts and hard evidence, and that's very worrying to me - at least until Tyriel discloses the ss levels he used for each hmd.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
All that is necessary is for him to show in-lens comparisons with X-Plane 11 in VR, in real time.  Lower resolution and FPS will be pretty obvious compared to most current PCVR headsets imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Comparisons through the lenses are useless IMHO. In some of those screen shots the Oculus Link looks better then Rift S and we all know that can't be the case. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

Comparisons through the lenses are useless IMHO. In some of those screen shots the Oculus Link looks better then Rift S and we all know that can't be the case. 

Sarcasm?