cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest Link - as good as a Rift?

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I am really worried that we may have to start "managing expectations" regarding what the Quest Link performance can achieve. I see the same old "over hyperbole" from the usual suspects on forums, and not helped by messages like these in the media:

ms8t2c2zdkei.png

https://venturebeat.com/2019/11/03/oculus-link-beta-what-to-expect-from-linking-pc-and-standalone-vr...
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
140 REPLIES 140

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Mradr said:

RedRizla said:

Comparisons through the lenses are useless IMHO. In some of those screen shots the Oculus Link looks better then Rift S and we all know that can't be the case. 

Sarcasm?

According to the majority of people Rift S is better, but through the lens shots as seen in this video makes the Oculus Quest Link look better to me. I came to realise that through the lens videos' don't give good results when my HP Reverb looked about 35% better then it does on through the lens video.

Maxxgold
Rising Star

RedRizla said:

Comparisons through the lenses are useless IMHO. In some of those screen shots the Oculus Link looks better then Rift S and we all know that can't be the case. 

I think the only place where the Quest Link looked better than the S is with the black levels for Elite Dangerous, and with the lenses in the Quest, I believe that is the case. I still enjoy my DK2 for the amazing black levels playing Elite Dangerous. I’m hoping the black levels I saw in the comparison video are accurate. The CV1 looked completely accurate. I can’t even play Elite Dangerous with my CV1 because the black levels are so bad. 

Getting my Quest today, and I look forward to making my own comparisons. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Maxxgold said:

RedRizla said:

I think the only place where the Quest Link looked better than the S is with the black levels for Elite Dangerous, and with the lenses in the Quest, I believe that is the case. I still enjoy my DK2 for the amazing black levels playing Elite Dangerous. I’m hoping the black levels I saw in the comparison video are accurate. The CV1 looked completely accurate. I can’t even play Elite Dangerous with my CV1 because the black levels are so bad. 

CV1 uses Oled displays, so not sure why the black levels in Elite Dangerous would be bad for you. Most people like Elite Dangerous in the CV1 because of the black levels. The lenses in the Rift S are also better then the Oculus Quest lenses because Rift S came after the Oculus Quest and so it uses the Oculus Go lenses, which are excellent lenses. Maybe you are getting confused with Godrays in the CV1 and not the black levels.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

Maxxgold said:

RedRizla said:

CV1 uses Oled displays, so not sure why the black levels in Elite Dangerous would be bad for you. Most people like Elite Dangerous in the CV1 because of the black levels. The lenses in the Rift S are also better then the Oculus Quest lenses because Rift S came after the Oculus Quest and so it uses the Oculus Go lenses, which are excellent lenses.

Well technically Rift S and Quest were released on the same date.
However Quest was being developed much longer than the Rift S which was thrown together fairly rapidly.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

dburne said:

RedRizla said:

Maxxgold said:

RedRizla said:

CV1 uses Oled displays, so not sure why the black levels in Elite Dangerous would be bad for you. Most people like Elite Dangerous in the CV1 because of the black levels. The lenses in the Rift S are also better then the Oculus Quest lenses because Rift S came after the Oculus Quest and so it uses the Oculus Go lenses, which are excellent lenses.

Well technically Rift S and Quest were released on the same date.
However Quest was being developed much longer than the Rift S which was thrown together fairly rapidly.

I know this that why I said "The lenses in the Rift S are also better then the Oculus Quest lenses because Rift S came after the Oculus Quest and so it uses the Oculus Go lenses, which are excellent lenses". Or maybe I should have said Oculus Rift S was produced after the Oculus Quest.

Maxxgold
Rising Star

RedRizla said:

Maxxgold said:

RedRizla said:

CV1 uses Oled displays, so not sure why the black levels in Elite Dangerous would be bad for you. Most people like Elite Dangerous in the CV1 because of the black levels. The lenses in the Rift S are also better then the Oculus Quest lenses because Rift S came after the Oculus Quest and so it uses the Oculus Go lenses, which are excellent lenses. Maybe you are getting confused with Godrays in the CV1 not the black levels.

Yeah, the God Rays are exactly what I was referencing. 

They are so bad on the CV1, I can’t play Elite Dangerous with the CV1. The comparison video above demonstrates it perfectly. The Quest with the link looks much better in the video, and I’m looking forward to checking it out when my Quest arrives

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Maxxgold said:

RedRizla said:

Maxxgold said:

RedRizla said:

CV1 uses Oled displays, so not sure why the black levels in Elite Dangerous would be bad for you. Most people like Elite Dangerous in the CV1 because of the black levels. The lenses in the Rift S are also better then the Oculus Quest lenses because Rift S came after the Oculus Quest and so it uses the Oculus Go lenses, which are excellent lenses. Maybe you are getting confused with Godrays in the CV1 not the black levels.

They are so bad on the CV1, I can’t play Elite Dangerous with the CV1. The comparison video above demonstrates it perfectly. The Quest with the link looks much better in the video, and I’m looking forward to checking it out when my Quest arrives

If you cannot play dark background games like Elite with your Rift cv1 you might want to try turning Spud off.  This seems to help for some, including me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6tca7t/why_you_may_need_to_disable_spud_oled_mura/

If you want almost perfect blacks, buy a Vive Pro, lol!  Good luck with your Quest PCVR wantabe.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
For me is the issue of using the Link, rather than what the lenses look like sticking a camera in the headset. We are seeing major questions raised on the Link performance, and this video just seemed to be a diversion. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Maxxgold said:

RedRizla said:

Maxxgold said:

RedRizla said:

The god rays on the CV1 were always a issue at times, i found that in ED if i changed the hud colours to green and i lowered the games gamma way down it helped to a extent, and on other HMD like the Vive the god ray is not so smeared across the entire lens, but more of a lens flare type effect, i also tried the Gear VR mod and that removed all god rays completly and was a pin sharp as if it were a new modern HMD, was wonderful......just a pity it messed with the eye relief and caused me massive eye strain after 20 mins so i had to revert back to the original lens. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Maxxgold
Rising Star
I received my Quest yesterday, and I’m thoroughly testing it.

I am using this cable from Amazon. 

The cable worked perfectly. I did have to go into settings on the Quest after accepting all the prompts inside the headset, and select to enable the beta/link. I also had to set my sound inside windows to the device I use for sound. 

The image detail was sharper and much easier to view when compared with my CV1. my eyes did not have to strain as much to read text or look at the scree. The added fan inside the Quest which provides a small amount of airflow to my eyes while using the Quest is really awesome. It definitely adds to the feeling of presence. 

The first game I tested while linked was Beat Saber. SS set to 2.0. The image is sharper in the Quest compared to the CV1. I did not notice any compression. It was perfect. 

Next I tried Alien Isolation. And the Quest linked provided a really good experience, the images when not compressed were sharper and much easier to look at. The fan once again really added to the immersion. They really need to add a fan inside all headsets to give that feeling of wind or air in your face. There was some mild compression while playing linked, and some pop in as well. The 72hz refresh rate was definitely noticeable as well. Not so much with the CV1, but coming from the  Valve Index, it is super noticeable. I still enjoyed the experience inside the Quest. 

The refresh rate is where this headset is going to be held back when linked. If I had a CV1, I wouldn’t upgrade primarily to the Quest, but if I was just getting into VR, I would easily purchase the Quest over the Rift S. I don’t have a Rift S, so I can’t compare, but 80hz refresh rate is not going to work for me in games with real locomotion, and is really a let down. Although, if you just plan to be tethered to a PC, maybe the S would be better in that situation. 

Hopefully someone will be able to unlock the refresh rate for the Quest, so we can increase it while linked. I’m just getting started, so I’ll post more after a few days