cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Kinda the perfect Saturday. Went to a nice restaurant with the family, then we saw the 4K cartoon version of Dr. Seuss' the Grinch and it was an absolutely awesome Christmas movie. Then 37 min ago I was informed our lastest study has been accepted for publication - not a big study, but still great news, and a great surprise on a Saturday evening:

Dear Dr. Rasmussen

I am pleased to inform you that the reviews of your submitted article have been very positive and they recommend accepting the manuscript without change. I am delighted to accept it for publication in Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation. It was accepted on 07 Dec 2019.

Thank you for submitting your work to Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation.

With best wishes,

Elliot J. Roth, MD
Editor-In-Chief

- then just I saw several great reviews for Boiling Steel - it does look great (and potentially awesome), I'm downloading now for the Index  o:)

https://youtu.be/CrYEAdLzA5o

Get it here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1016860/Boiling_Steel/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I'd say the WMR presence in the survey is most likely because you can actually pick up these headsets quite cheaply as well as having the Reverb. It encompasses far more variety of headsets compared to the other groups which make sense then why it's in 2nd place. Congrats Rune. We just went to see Jumanji 2 which is quite nice family entertainment.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

Kinda the perfect Saturday. Went to a nice restaurant with the family, then we saw the 4K cartoon version of Dr. Seuss' the Grinch and it was an absolutely awesome Christmas movie. Then 37 min ago I was informed our lastest study has been accepted for publication - not a big study, but still great news, and a great surprise on a Saturday evening:

Dear Dr. Rasmussen

I am pleased to inform you that the reviews of your submitted article have been very positive and they recommend accepting the manuscript without change. I am delighted to accept it for publication in Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation. It was accepted on 07 Dec 2019.

Thank you for submitting your work to Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation.

With best wishes,

Elliot J. Roth, MD
Editor-In-Chief

- then just I saw several great reviews for Boiling Steel - it does look great (and potentially awesome), I'm downloading now for the Index  o:)

https://youtu.be/CrYEAdLzA5o

Get it here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1016860/Boiling_Steel/

Thanks, Boiling Steel is very cool.  Best of all it's included for free with my VivePort Infinity subscription and it plays well with both my Vive Pro and Rift cv1.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer
Got a reply to my ticket today. Valve was kind enough to replace the Clickgate-affected controllers for social media influencers, but the rest of us still seem to be getting the good old no-click-is-by-design replies.

Let's see if I can cut through all the red tape:

vl6felwlolj7.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

Thanks, Boiling Steel is very cool.  Best of all it's included for free with my VivePort Infinity subscription and it plays well with both my Vive Pro and Rift cv1.

Did also manage to play for an hour today, and it's not bad. But some dude writing that the graphics are similar to Lone Echo must have been smoking something that can't be healthy, lol. 
Having to spawn a new weapon after a few shots easily gets annoying, and the first real level does contain a lot of repetitions. For now I think the game is just as good (or bad) as the Vertigo 2 demo. I'm positive about the game, but would probably rate it 6/10 or 7/10 - for now. 
Ss 150% worked ok on my GTX 1080, I disabled MSAA completely - but didn't really see any jaggies. 
Still considering if it's a keeper - Boneworks is out in 2 days, Dec 10 - 10 AM PST. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

My Index Overload Management Gear™ just arrived!  B)

https://youtu.be/N3gwq5jbKLA

4m82ipemokz5.jpg

kr368qjnyd0e.jpg

rofvm43022xs.jpg

q9qu4reqjour.jpg

pyc49n04uune.jpg

txm4cxedc8vo.jpg

x4k2ytyht5yg.jpg

Yup - the thumbstick clicks in all directions😄

Hmmm, so now it's over using dirty non-Valve controllers with the Index!  o:)

Just played Overload using Index and the Steam Controller, it was a blast! (pun intended ;)) - And I didn't vomit or felt any motion sickness, but my VR legs usually are quite strong. 

There's actually a gyro in the Steam Controller that can be used in Overload:

https://youtu.be/o5pk8CfkiSA

- the "gyro on" is also shown here:

https://youtu.be/izpPax-O-kg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

I stand corrected, and maybe it's an acquired taste, but the game is quite good after completing the first tutorial-like levels.
Some of the dark places don't look that good using Index, I'm thinking these locations originally were designed for oled hmds like CV1. 
I can't use CV1 in Steam with my current setup. Do you know if the game has native Oculus support = if you can start the game from Oculus Home without starting SteamVR?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
All The VivePort games that are Rift compatible (most of them) all run through SteamVR.

i don’t have any problem running my cv1 in parallel with my Vive headsets.  As long as I press the Link Box power button off Steam has no problems.  On some Steam games that offer Rift option it works fine as well.  You still need to be in Steam to begin with though.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I hate to tell ya but Boiling Steel (from VivePort) looks absolutely beautiful on my Rift cv1 with 2.0 SS w/OTT.  Like you I disabled in-game msaa and left all other in-game settings default.  I might try it later with my Vive Pro but I doubt it will look much better and the Rift touch controllers work so much better than those Vive wands.

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer
I never bothered looking for this before I got Index, but now that I do have one I'm not having much luck finding the way to turn smooth locomotion in Steam VR Home on. Is steam vr home teleport-only?