New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Is My PC Good Enough?

I am wondering about getting a Rift S but i don't know if my specs are good enough?
specs:
8G of Installed Ram, 7.9 Usable
 CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad Core Processor
GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 570
Windows 10

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,803 Volunteer Moderator
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 810
    3Jane
    Your PC meets the listed minimum requirements. And by minimum requirements, I mean the minimum for Oculus to claim it technically works and you can't sue them for false advertising.

Realistically, your PC is far below what can be expected to run VR well at this point. The cartoonish games should be ok, but the graphically intense games are going to be a problem.
  • VeskkoVeskko Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    what do i need to to upgrade in my pc to make it good?

• trek554trek554 Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2019
    Veskko said:
    what do i need to to upgrade in my pc to make it good?

TBH your cpu , gpu and ram. 8gb is ridiculous at this point for a gaming pc and not nearly enough for some games never mind some demanding VR games. that cpu is not enough to maintain 60 fps in some newer games and is no better than many cpus from 7-8 years ago. an rx570 is decent gpu for 1080p gaming but is not very good for VR games even compared to its Nvidia counterpart, the 1060 3gb. 
    Win 10 Pro | i9 9900KF | MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC | MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200 CL14 | Samsung Evo 860 4TB SSD | Cooler Master CM500 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 watt | Sound Blaster Zx
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 535
    Neo
    edited December 2019
    @trek554
    There's not a single game that uses close to 8 GB of RAM. I have that amount and the only app (VR or not) that got me RAM issues is Oculus Medium (an art software, not a game). If you have RAM issues while gaming, you should close "one or two" background apps ;).
    But in normal use case, 8GB RAM is more than enough, even for VR.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • trek554trek554 Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2019
    @trek554
    There's not a single game that uses close to 8 GB of RAM. I have that amount and the only app (VR or not) that got me RAM issues is Oculus Medium (an art software, not a game). If you have RAM issues while gaming, you should close "one or two" background apps ;).
    keep telling yourself that. 8gb is beyond ridiculous for a gaming pc  in 2019.  Windows alone can be using well over 2gb just sitting on the desktop with NOTHING else running. and some games can easily use around 5 to 6gb which can cause the occasional stutter from having to hit the hard drive. and it is silly to have to shut down everything else running every time you fire up a game. ram is very cheap and if someone cant afford more than 8gb  then they have no business buying a VR headset.  

EDIT: just played Batman Arkham Knight with everything shut down other than Steam running and went over 10gb within a few minutes and was using nearly 11gb after 15 minutes. that game is absolutely known for 8gb causing some hitching and they even said  “For windows 10 users, we’ve found that having at least 12GB of system RAM on a PC allows the game to operate without paging and provides a smoother gameplay experience.” 

Win 10 Pro | i9 9900KF | MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC | MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200 CL14 | Samsung Evo 860 4TB SSD | Cooler Master CM500 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 watt | Sound Blaster Zx
  • jbljbljbljbl Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited December 2019
    Hello. Just purchased a Rift S to work on HP OMEN 15" Gaming Laptop - 9th Gen Intel Core i7 - 1080p - GeForce RTX 2060Model  15-dc1025cl.  I understand there may be some type of adapter or cable I will need from a third party.  Does anyone know what and where to get it?  Thank you. Jb
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,191
    Wintermute
    jbljbl said:
    Hello. Just purchased a Rift S to work on HP OMEN 15" Gaming Laptop - 9th Gen Intel Core i7 - 1080p - GeForce RTX 2060Model  15-dc1025cl.  I understand there may be some type of adapter or cable I will need from a third party.  Does anyone know what and where to get it?  Thank you. Jb
    I have responded to your original post...

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 810
    3Jane
    @trek554

DCS uses 14GB + the 2GB windows uses + 11GB of a GTX 1080 Ti on medium-low graphics detail in VR and still has to call the NVME since it's out of memory. The list of games that won't break an 8GB limit is pretty short at this point. I doubt Beat Saber exceeds it, but that might be the only game I have where that's true even including non-VR games.