cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop Panel Pullout shows exclamation mark

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I'm trying to get my panel pullout working with the latest update. I'm experiencing a problem where when I do a panel pullout on a window, it shows an exclamation mark.

Using my mouse I can interact blindly with the window but since it displays only the exclamation mark it's pretty useless.

I did some searching and found some people suggesting to set "Nvidia-VR" as a primary monitor, but no such device appears for me in either windows display settings or Nvidia control panel.

Any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

codexpage
Honored Guest
I got exactly the same problem, I am using rift s on Nvidia card and a single monitor. Anyone who has the same problem knows how to solve it? 

Netheri
Rising Star
Same problem here. 1440p (dp 1.2) and 1080p (hdmi) monitors. Rift is connected through Nvidia's usb-c with the help of usb-c adapter. Panel pullouts worked flawlessly with 1.39 and with 1.38 i had the same problem as in 1.40. What's weird, that if i pin the panel through monitor 1, they work a while and after a some short time they go black with the exclamation mark with the yellow background if i pin from monitor 2, the exclamation mark is instant. I've left ticket to Oculus Support and also contacted Nvidia about it. 

It's so shame these problems are almost constant. If I were a whole day VR-streamer with Rift, this would prevent seeing channel chat (as the ovrdrop doesn't work with oculus engine, only on SteamVR and the pinned chat windows are the only goodish option to use), managing the (sl)obs client etc. through pinned windows'. Well..no wonder there's not many wholeday VR-streamers.  😞
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

ProfessorMesmer
Honored Guest
Hello guys!
It might be too soon to tell but i think i found a solution to this issue on my end.
I have a RTX2080 from Aorus and to be fair, it's quite pretentious when it comes to I/O. To put this in perspective, it has 3 DP and 3 HDMI on 3 ZONES as they call them. The first zone has 2 DP the second has 2 HDMI and the last zone ( the free zone has 1 DP and 1 HDMI.
The way they impose double monitors to work fluently and flawlessly is to use one of the first zone port and a free zone port (ex. 1 DP from zone 1 and 1 HDMI from zone 3 (free zone) - and only then it will be PLUG and PLAY
Otherwise, if you dont follow this rule and USE the conflict zones (1 and 2) you will have to restart your PC because the device you plug in will not be detected.
What i discovered, tinkering with the ports, is that the panel stays active ONLY when it's connected on one of the DPs from ZONE 1 and it is the only one device in zone 1. 
So now, i have 1 x Oculus Rift S on ZONE 1, a monitor on the DP from the FREE zone on the PCI GPU and a 2nd monitor on the motherboard HDMI port as multi-GPU is enabled.

I will keep you updated if the issue returns but so far, i have been keeping my chat open in Blade and Sorcery for about a half hour and all seems well.

Hope it works for you too! 

ProfessorMesmer
Honored Guest

Netheri said:

Same problem here. 1440p (dp 1.2) and 1080p (hdmi) monitors. Rift is connected through Nvidia's usb-c with the help of usb-c adapter. Panel pullouts worked flawlessly with 1.39 and with 1.38 i had the same problem as in 1.40. What's weird, that if i pin the panel through monitor 1, they work a while and after a some short time they go black with the exclamation mark with the yellow background if i pin from monitor 2, the exclamation mark is instant. I've left ticket to Oculus Support and also contacted Nvidia about it. 

It's so shame these problems are almost constant. If I were a whole day VR-streamer with Rift, this would prevent seeing channel chat (as the ovrdrop doesn't work with oculus engine, only on SteamVR and the pinned chat windows are the only goodish option to use), managing the (sl)obs client etc. through pinned windows'. Well..no wonder there's not many wholeday VR-streamers.  😞

Check out what i wrote above 😉 hope it helps

Netheri
Rising Star

Netheri said:

Check out what i wrote above 😉 hope it helps

Hi Professor.

Nice if this solved the issue for you. However this seems quite erratic, as the problem moved to affect the 1st monitor also (for me). With no warning, suddenly the pulled out and pinned window went exclamationed, without any changes in hardware or in software. And after that, both virtual destops are the same; panel pullouts aren't working. I must repeat: In the 1.38 there was same problem (but the 1st monitor pull out worked), in 1.39 everything worked and on 1.40 things are as told. Haven't got time to test things now in 1.41.

Edit: Same behaviour in 1.41. I even tried that "zoning" to be sure.
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

SOMMER-VR
Explorer
Oculus please solve this. I have tried everything possible, but it is a problem with the Oculus software!

Desktop works fine in SteamVR, please solve it in Oculus. I only have 1 screen at it is so annoying to switch HDMI cable ALL THE TIME. Also, 3rd party softwares such as VorpX do not work as a result.

Kind Regards,
Peter

firefighter841
Explorer
This is an ongoing issue that for some reason they will not resolve.  I do not know what Rift's issue is and why they refuse to solve it when it did work before.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello guys!
It might be too soon to tell but i think i found a solution to this issue on my end.
I have a RTX2080 from Aorus and to be fair, it's quite pretentious when it comes to I/O. To put this in perspective, it has 3 DP and 3 HDMI on 3 ZONES as they call them. The first zone has 2 DP the second has 2 HDMI and the last zone ( the free zone has 1 DP and 1 HDMI.
The way they impose double monitors to work fluently and flawlessly is to use one of the first zone port and a free zone port (ex. 1 DP from zone 1 and 1 HDMI from zone 3 (free zone) - and only then it will be PLUG and PLAY
Otherwise, if you dont follow this rule and USE the conflict zones (1 and 2) you will have to restart your PC because the device you plug in will not be detected.
What i discovered, tinkering with the ports, is that the panel stays active ONLY when it's connected on one of the DPs from ZONE 1 and it is the only one device in zone 1. 
So now, i have 1 x Oculus Rift S on ZONE 1, a monitor on the DP from the FREE zone on the PCI GPU and a 2nd monitor on the motherboard HDMI port as multi-GPU is enabled.

I will keep you updated if the issue returns but so far, i have been keeping my chat open in Blade and Sorcery for about a half hour and all seems well.

Hope it works for you too! 

Anonymous
Not applicable
WHAT ProfessorMesmer?   HOLY COW! I work in the medial profession and still cant understand what you said. Please explain that in LAMENS TERMS.