cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is My PC Good Enough?

Veskko
Honored Guest
I am wondering about getting a Rift S but i don't know if my specs are good enough?
specs:
8G of Installed Ram, 7.9 Usable
 CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad Core Processor
GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 570
Windows 10

9 REPLIES 9

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Have a little read here and also run the compatibility tool = https://www.roadtovr.com/how-to-tell-pc-virtual-reality-vr-oculus-rift-htc-vive-steam-vr-compatibility-tool/
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Your PC meets the listed minimum requirements. And by minimum requirements, I mean the minimum for Oculus to claim it technically works and you can't sue them for false advertising.

Realistically, your PC is far below what can be expected to run VR well at this point. The cartoonish games should be ok, but the graphically intense games are going to be a problem.

Veskko
Honored Guest
what do i need to to upgrade in my pc to make it good?

trek554
Adventurer

Veskko said:

what do i need to to upgrade in my pc to make it good?

TBH your cpu , gpu and ram. 8gb is ridiculous at this point for a gaming pc and not nearly enough for some games never mind some demanding VR games. that cpu is not enough to maintain 60 fps in some newer games and is no better than many cpus from 7-8 years ago. an rx570 is decent gpu for 1080p gaming but is not very good for VR games even compared to its Nvidia counterpart, the 1060 3gb. 
WIN 11 | 13700KF | MSI MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI | G.SKILL 64GB 6400MHZ CL32 | GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | SEASONIC FOCUS GX-1000

Anonymous
Not applicable
@trek554
There's not a single game that uses close to 8 GB of RAM. I have that amount and the only app (VR or not) that got me RAM issues is Oculus Medium (an art software, not a game). If you have RAM issues while gaming, you should close "one or two" background apps ;).
But in normal use case, 8GB RAM is more than enough, even for VR.

trek554
Adventurer

@trek554
There's not a single game that uses close to 8 GB of RAM. I have that amount and the only app (VR or not) that got me RAM issues is Oculus Medium (an art software, not a game). If you have RAM issues while gaming, you should close "one or two" background apps ;).

keep telling yourself that. 8gb is beyond ridiculous for a gaming pc  in 2019.  Windows alone can be using well over 2gb just sitting on the desktop with NOTHING else running. and some games can easily use around 5 to 6gb which can cause the occasional stutter from having to hit the hard drive. and it is silly to have to shut down everything else running every time you fire up a game. ram is very cheap and if someone cant afford more than 8gb  then they have no business buying a VR headset.  

EDIT: just played Batman Arkham Knight with everything shut down other than Steam running and went over 10gb within a few minutes and was using nearly 11gb after 15 minutes. that game is absolutely known for 8gb causing some hitching and they even said  For windows 10 users, we’ve found that having at least 12GB of system RAM on a PC allows the game to operate without paging and provides a smoother gameplay experience.” 

WIN 11 | 13700KF | MSI MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI | G.SKILL 64GB 6400MHZ CL32 | GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | SEASONIC FOCUS GX-1000

jbljbl
Honored Guest
Hello. Just purchased a Rift S to work on HP OMEN 15" Gaming Laptop - 9th Gen Intel Core i7 - 1080p - GeForce RTX 2060Model  15-dc1025cl.  I understand there may be some type of adapter or cable I will need from a third party.  Does anyone know what and where to get it?  Thank you. Jb

RattyUK
Trustee

jbljbl said:

Hello. Just purchased a Rift S to work on HP OMEN 15" Gaming Laptop - 9th Gen Intel Core i7 - 1080p - GeForce RTX 2060Model  15-dc1025cl.  I understand there may be some type of adapter or cable I will need from a third party.  Does anyone know what and where to get it?  Thank you. Jb

I have responded to your original post...

PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

BeastyBaiter
Superstar

@trek554

DCS uses 14GB + the 2GB windows uses + 11GB of a GTX 1080 Ti on medium-low graphics detail in VR and still has to call the NVME since it's out of memory. The list of games that won't break an 8GB limit is pretty short at this point. I doubt Beat Saber exceeds it, but that might be the only game I have where that's true even including non-VR games.