cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boneworks Released Available Now

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Not sure why this game is only discussed in the Index thread but Boneworks releases today via Steam ($29.99). I believe around 7pm this evening GMT.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/823500/BONEWORKS/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kWBeyiXaig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP8C2nmv3Ag

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
66 REPLIES 66

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Check this out - amazing right?

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/e8w094/in_boneworks_if_you_get_close_enough_to_the_crt/?utm...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
UploadVR review = 4/5:

https://uploadvr.com/boneworks-review/

I think the say there are 6 hours of story content. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Well a lot of the neg reviews are either motion sickness based, the body model getting in the way or WMR not working yet. That's  a big stinker right there but Stress Level are fixing it sharpish. Interesting you now feel the game OK without dynamic shadows? Maybe they will add them back in the future?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer
I'm not leaving a negative review, because it seems like I'm an outlier... but does anyone else have crappy performance?

I have two different computers for VR -- one an i7 4790K with 1080ti and one an i7 8750H Laptop with 2070 (Not MaxQ).  I've tried on both with no super sampling and both medium and low graphics settings, and I can't seem to get consistent framerates without stuttering.  I've had no performance issues with most games -- Stormlands, Asgard's Wrath, Modded Skyrim VR for example.  But this one doesn't seem to play nice with either of my systems.

I've refunded for now -- might try again if they release patches with significant performance improvements.  The game looks like a lot of fun, and it already has over 680 reviews with 83% of them positive so far.

Edit:  I see that their recommended CPU is the i7 7700k, which is about 11% higher effective speed over the 4790k.  I figured my 4.7 GHz stable overclock would mitigate the difference, but it might just be showing its 5-year age.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Well a lot of the neg reviews are either motion sickness based, the body model getting in the way or WMR not working yet. That's  a big stinker right there but Stress Level are fixing it sharpish. Interesting you now feel the game OK without dynamic shadows? Maybe they will add them back in the future?

Lack of dynamic shadows is a disappointment, but as mentioned in return you do get some of the most awesome textures and the performance is great - at least in the start of the game. Note that you do have dynamic shadows in the game, but restricted to certain locations - which I'm yet to see 😉 They show some in the new trailer. 

Maybe I should mention that I've not tested the game with the CV1, but only the Index. Because CV1 will not be able to use ASW 2.0 in the game, maybe minor dips below 90 fps will become very noticable - and not being able to use native Oculus driver support could impact performance.  

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
played for 45 minutes today until I got eye strain motion sick because I cant do free locomotion. I don't know it is definitely an experience all long time VR players should play but at the same time it is really jankey  and really slow in alot of parts which is a shame. I  also noticed a reuse of the same assist to a point of failure, plus a lot of these assists are poor quality models and textures that you can't even use. Take something like vacation simulator where everything in the lobby is not only something you can pick up but can also use. I can turn the radio dial to different station, I can turn on the tv and put a game in the console and play it, I can turn on the computer and use it, I can poor liquid into cups on and on. Nothing works in boneworks it is all just poor texture mapped models you can pick up. You cant even open any of the books, seriously going into 2020 when you put a book into VR I should be able to open it to at least a few pages of information. This sold object book with a cover bull shit is over.

As far as performance with a 1080 ti  I was not getting any judder with my head but I noticed a lot of places my arms would start juddering and missing frames. 

Wildt
Consultant
Ben's not super impressed with the GAME itself (3/5 score):
https://www.roadtovr.com/boneworks-review/
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Wildt said:

Ben's not super impressed with the GAME itself (3/5 score):
https://www.roadtovr.com/boneworks-review/

He's probably spot on - again I've only completed the first 2 tutorial levels, but this game feels like a physics simulator. Also it seems that Boneworks is treated like the second coming of Christ to many Vive/Index users who are mad at Oculus for making exclusive software. It's probably time to face the fact that Boneworks is not even close to giants like Stormland, Asgard's Wrath and Lone Echo - thinking back I'm sure even Chronos and Windland 2 impressed me more during the first hour. So Boneworks seems not to be a flagship, but a much smaller boat. I was thinking yesterday that the tutorial levels were way too long, like designed by young game developers with limited experience, which Ben to some degree seems to back up in his conclusion regarding the pacing:

Boneworks offers up a rich sandbox of physics-driven gameplay which can magical when it works right and frustrating (or downright uncomfortable) when it doesn't. Detailed weapon interactions and enjoyable slow-motion shooting aside, combat is largely devoid of challenge and interesting enemies—the player, it seems, is expected to do the heavy lifting of embellishing the combat with their own sense of fun. Puzzles don't establish overarching concepts and instead come off as singular moments despite being part of a linear story mode. The totality of the game lacks effective pacing as it bounces back and forth from puzzle to combat with little sense of synergy and no apparent climax. For those that are compelled by Boneworks' combat, the Arena and Sandbox modes offer up a great opportunity for extended gameplay, though we would have liked to see an emphasis on user-generated levels so that the community might flesh out concepts that didn't hit their stride in the campaign.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Hype will always lead to disappointment and Boneworks has been hyped to the max. The WMR issue still isn't fixed I believe so a lot of the neg reviews are justified in my opinion. As a WMR user I would hate to buy the game and it not work as advertised. A number of developers release games that are in need of further updates but don't mark them as Early Access Espire 1 springs to mind as well.  At least with Oculus games they work out the gate right?

😉 

Wildt
Consultant
Yeah, the QA seems awful on a lot of VR titles these days. In fact it's sometimes so poor, that you're tempted to believe it's a conscious decision to release it with a lot of known, but not published issues.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb