cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Imagine witches. Mic sensitivity automatically turned up. You need to keep quiet. Shhhh!

To expand this. Death Stranding has moments where Sam (the lead character you play) has to hold his breath whilst avoiding the ghostly enemies. Well, imagine clever use of the MIC in VR where any sound you make attracts the attention of the enemies. I use the witch example because that's part of the L4D gameplay. Espire 1 has you shout "Freeze" to hold up guards. The mic is very much underused in games in general but because in VR it's right on your head it could be used more in situations like this.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Things seem to be going well for the Index right now... Possibly boosted by Boneworks:

8yckdg3iwp8i.png
s9h6bpt89tf5.png
roe33jhn7c5e.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Wildt
Consultant
Ben from R2VR found good use for the index finger tracking while reviewing Boneworks! :lol:

Index’s finger-tracking capabilities were put to good use as I occasionally extended my middle finger to the physics-gods responsible for my plight.

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Wildt said:

Ben from R2VR found good use for the index finger tracking while reviewing Boneworks! :lol:

Index’s finger-tracking capabilities were put to good use as I occasionally extended my middle finger to the physics-gods responsible for my plight.

Occasionally I did get that too, never get that in other games and apps supporting full finger tracking, the devs must be to blame, lol. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Luciferous
Consultant
With regard to sound, In Stormlands you can hold a firework display behind one of the robots without it realising you are there. Very off putting and means stealth is pretty much useless.

Arizona sunshine is one of my favourites but the movement and world interaction is pretty crap. No melee, zombies clipping through everything, getting stuck on invisible objects leading to death by swearing.  No jump or climbing. Gun play is good though and the original non dlc had very good voice acting and humour.

Certainly a lot of room for improvement with Left for Dead VR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

With regard to sound, In Stormlands you can hold a firework display behind one of the robots without it realising you are there. Pretty off putting and means stealth is pretty much useless.

Arizona sunshine is one of my favourites but the movement and world interaction is pretty crap. No melee, zombies clipping through everything, getting stuck on invisible objects leading to death by swearing.  No jump or climbing.

Certainly a lot of room for improvement with Left for Dead VR.

Personally I'd love Valve to do Portal VR, but I do realize that among VR newbies such a game would probably be called "the puke generator", lol. Maybe it's better to shoot stuff... 

Luciferous
Consultant
Yeah not sure that would work well, with all the precision jumping and fast movement. I don't think VR is there yet for that, unless it was something more like the film 'The Cube'

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Win an Index Kit!  o:)

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/thegameawards/

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Comparison of Rift-S and Index by a dude who also owned a CV1: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/e9dgy4/rift_s_to_index_experience/

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

Comparison of Rift-S and Index by a dude who also owned a CV1: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/e9dgy4/rift_s_to_index_experience/

Unfortunately most headset comparisons do not specify PC specs.  I have come to the conclusion that if you have a high end gaming desktop PC then pretty well all VR headsets work ok.  While there are pros and cons, if you have a strong enough PC to run a Rift cv1 at 2.0 SS it does not get much better than this imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers