cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hand Tracking coming this week!

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Looks like we're getting our hands on this feature before the end of the year! It'll just be in Oculus menus and built-in apps at first, but the SDK releases next week, so developers can start including support in their apps soon.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

dburne said:

So how the heck did my thread I started this morning with this announcement get overtaken on first post and mine get pushed to second?

Oh I see, guess me not being a moderator kicks me out of that right...
Yay!! Loving these Oculus forums!!

It's not because Nalex is a moderator, it's because he beat you by 20 hours.
If your post came first, his thread would have been merged into yours instead.

Ok thanks - I had looked to make sure no one had already posted and apparently missed it, my bad.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
No worries, the forum is moving fast lately with all the new members, so stuff drops off the front page pretty quickly. 

Also, THE GLORY IS MINE!!!

I'm going to start another thread and merge this into mine.

Seriously though I'm really looking forward to this, it feels like one of those real evolutionary and necessary steps in VR. Hopefully Rift-S isn't too far away after Quest but I understand the differences in the implementation aren't exactly inconsequential, so may be a little wait.

Anonymous
Not applicable
My Quest is on standby just waiting for Version 12 - anxious to check this out.

enigma01
Trustee

dburne said:

My Quest is on standby just waiting for Version 12 - anxious to check this out.

Does leaving it on standby actually have any effect on the software updating now that you can check and update manually? 

I  wish Oculus would divulge a little more info on how updates roll out. I know they said it’s based on a percentage of global users, but is that percentage just a completely random set of users in different geographic locations and with random device registration dates etc?

nalex66
MVP
MVP
You still only get access to the update on a rolling basis, but the manual check can at least tell you if it's available to you. The last couple updates I manually initiated, it asked me to plug in my Quest before it would install, so leaving it plugged in on standby may ensure that it starts the update as soon as possible when it comes around. It also might save you constantly going in to check for availability.

That said, I did bring my Quest to work so I can check for updates throughout the day... I think I'll plug it in too in hopes of getting it sooner.

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

You still only get access to the update on a rolling basis, but the manual check can at least tell you if it's available to you. The last couple updates I manually initiated, it asked me to plug in my Quest before it would install, so leaving it plugged in on standby may ensure that it starts the update as soon as possible when it comes around. It also might save you constantly going in to check for availability.

That said, I did bring my Quest to work so I can check for updates throughout the day... I think I'll plug it in too in hopes of getting it sooner.

Good idea, have just plugged mine in hoping for the same.
Really wanting to try out this hand tracking.

Congratulations
Adventurer
I tried out hand tracking and here are some goods and here are some losses.

Goods

1) save batteries on controllers.
2) feels more immersive.
3) less to carry around.
4) quick and easy to pick up and take control of hand tracking.(first time trying)

Losses

1)Hands not track fully with movement like moving your hands in different hand gestures.
2) put my hands at a distance and can’t track them.
3) very limited on hand decisions, I wish i can take a photo with out clicking capture a screen shot.
4) need hand look more realistic like virtual gloves etc.

This is what I found out after trying hand tracking for the first time. it’s good and has some issues tho I think these will change as more updates come later.
what other goods and losses that I haven’t mentioned?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would love to share however V12 has not made it's way to my Quest yet.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Great to hear some real user feedback. I'm still waiting for the update to test it for myself.

I'm merging this into the main hand tracking thread, just to keep it all in one place.