cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S stuck in software restart required loop

Wilky926
Explorer
Hi all.  I bought an Oculus Rift S to replace my original Rift yesterday, set it up and played with it all day with no issues.  However today it just will not work at all!  The Oculus home keeps telling me that it requires a software restart but every time I do this it just reboots and tells me it needs to restart again.  Also windows flashes up saying the headset is not detected every time I turn my pc on now and the setup for the headset gets stuck on the sensor setup part.
I have updated all drivers and downloaded the latest Oculus software and ran the repair and nothing has worked so far.  
A google search is revealing that this has been an issue since July!  but I cant find a definitive answer as to how to fix this.
Any help is appreciated because im 2 seconds away from sending this back and getting a HTC Vive lol.
217 REPLIES 217

SugarGlider2000
Honored Guest
I copied nethfys' post (modified) from Reddit because it wouldn't let me post the link here with steps for disabling and then re-enabling the Windows camera access that gets the Rift S working for me every time. It is still a pain because it stops working when I put the computer to sleep and wake it up again. I hope a better fix is found soon because it is a ridiculous problem to have.

• Close the Oculus app

• Unplug the Rift S

• Disable the camera permission ("Windows key + I" to open the settings - Privacy - Camera - Flip the "Allow apps to access your camera" toggle to "off")

• Plug the Rift S in again

• This should automatically start the Oculus app too, otherwise do it yourself

• Now you should get the "Sensors can't track headset" error

• Unplug the Rift S

• Toggle the camera permission to "on"

• Re-plug the Rift S (plug in USB first, wait 5 seconds, then plug in the DP cable)

• Now the status dot should be green in the Oculus app (you might have to restart it)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same issue here. For me I need to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in (while the computer is started) to get it working. After each computer restart the app is just suggesting for me to restart Oculus software, but it doesn't help.

fishhunt
Expert Protege
I think its not giving a enough power from usb 3 to the headset when you boot up the computer that's why you have to unplug usb and plug it back in, that's why i think its a power issue, some usb 3 are better then others

Taomyn
Protege
I have 3 pairs of USB sockets on the back of my PC - 2 x USB3.1 (Gen-2), 4x USB3.1 (Gen-1), and the Rift S (and my Rift before it), were plugged into the Gen-2 ones. I've now moved the Rift S to a Gen-1 socket and it seems to be fine now.
---
Rift S | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU | Asus RoG Strix X470-I Gaming Motherboard | Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM | EVGA nVidia 3080Ti FTW3 GPU | Samsung 870 EVO Plus 260GB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Corsair H100i v2 Cooler | Thermaltake Core V21 Case | Corsair RMx 850 PSU

LegendBacon
Explorer
Hi everyone,

As people have mentioned here, this is a USB issue.
I have around 70 Oculus Rift S out there, on the same Windows update (1909), same laptop models, same Oculus App version, same Nvidia drivers, connected to the same networks, etc...

And yet for some reason only a third of them have this issue.

I haven't found the cause yet, but I've found a fix.

If your computer has a USB-C port, get a USB->USB-C adapter and use that with the Rift S. Reboot your computer, and now everything's green. No reinstall needed.

I've shipped the same adapter to ~20 clients, and it fixed the issue immediately for all of them.

I still don't understand why it only happens on some of our machines though.

I hope that helps!
Cheers,
~LegendBacon

Anonymous
Not applicable

fishhunt said:

I think its not giving a enough power from usb 3 to the headset when you boot up the computer that's why you have to unplug usb and plug it back in, that's why i think its a power issue, some usb 3 are better then others

It has enough power after windows are started, runs just fine until the next shutdown. The firmware/drivers should be able to handle that, get it running at the point when the power input is sufficient without an unplug. Oculus please fix this bug, I'm not buying a new PC.

As you noted above - when I see only one Oculus USB hub, I have a problem, when there are two, it's fine.

fishhunt
Expert Protege
I have just order a  USB->USB-C adapter it was only £1.99 on ebay hope this work

andrea.daviero
Explorer
Try to completely remove oculus drivers.
Open oculus app with oculus connected
Open device manager
Remove both the oculus rift s devices from USB devices. When Windows asks to remove the software, click yes.
Wait until it finishes.
Close oculus, unplug.
Open oculus, plug rift, check in device manager for 2 generic devices (if you see oculus rift s you failed uninstalling). 
If it doesn't work, try to restart the pc, unplug, plug, start oculus.

LAST BUT ESSENTIAL, in device manager, for each of the usb devices of the oculus, disable power management.

It worked for me also if I experience some stability issues (not sure about the cause), but sometimes, after one or more hours, it happens that app crashes, oculus disconnects, or oculus app closes.

Taomyn
Protege
@"andrea.daviero" thanks but sorry to say "been there, done that" I tried this afters switching from the old Rift as I thought it was because I was still using the old configuration - it made a difference for just a couple of sessions, the next day it was back to being undetected. My only fix has been to use a Gen-1 USB3.1 port and not the Gen-2. The old Rift CV1 was fine in the Gen-2 so I think it's either a firmware issue with the headset or the Oculus drivers (as it seems it may have started after an update way before I got mine a week ago).
---
Rift S | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU | Asus RoG Strix X470-I Gaming Motherboard | Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM | EVGA nVidia 3080Ti FTW3 GPU | Samsung 870 EVO Plus 260GB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Corsair H100i v2 Cooler | Thermaltake Core V21 Case | Corsair RMx 850 PSU

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey guys, I think I have cracked this one. Wel at least for me :smile: What seems to do the trick is to go to BIOS and change XHCI support from Auto or Smart Auto to Enabled. I also disabled support for all legacy USB. Now I can reboot at will and the headset is in normal state. Will keep you posted if there is any change.