cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Rift S is connected and active but Oculus needs to restart" error loop

JD9852
Honored Guest
I finally got my Rift S working but after a Windows Visual C+ update
(KB2565063) it keeps giving me this error loop. I'm not 100% sure if that update is causing it but when I removed it before it was working fine. It says Rift S is
connected and active but Oculus needs to restart again. So I restart, it first
says not connected then connected and active but needs to restart. The
thing is Windows forces me to install this update and I can't find it
anymore to uninstall. Can anyone help with this?qv22n5am5fd6.jpg
23 REPLIES 23

douglas_stedfel
Honored Guest
I was just playing DCS last night and all of a sudden I get this error...I attached logs for the past 3 days and screenshots.  Please help!

andrea.daviero
Explorer

I was just playing DCS last night and all of a sudden I get this error...I attached logs for the past 3 days and screenshots.  Please help!

Douglas, try my steps in the previous post, I had same problem. Now it happens only after computer start up, then I unplug/plug the rift and the error goes out.

xWildchildx
Explorer

Partial solution is to completely remove the oculus drivers and lets Windows to install generic ones.

1) Start oculus
2) Go in device manager and right click on "oculus rift" under USB devices
3) Select remove drivers, when promped, remove also the software (the most important one)
4) Probably will ask for a restart.
5) After the restart, open oculus and cycle the USB connector off and then in.
If all is good, you can now use oculus with generic Windows drivers, switching on and off oculus app.
The only remaining problem is at the computer start up. It will Always need to unplug the cable.
I hope they will fix this issue.

Same problem here, done this exactly workaround too. I was initially worried about the "non-Rift" device name but I think it's not so important in order to this shit works fine.
The problem is the also with this procedure, it takes 4-5 retry with cable "plug-in/out" and software restart before it works!
I'm really near to surrend myself with the S and bring back my CV1 that ALWAYS works (and worked) at first connection without any of these issues.
So sad about the S. Really sad.
Thermaltake Element G - Corsair TX850W - ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.5GHz (1.230V) - Noctua NH-D15 - 16GB DDR4 3.466Mhz Corsair (2x8GB) CAS16  - Samsung 950 PRO  M.2 NVMe 256GB - GTX 980Ti Inno3D iChill Black Accelero Hybrid S - Windows 10 PRO 64bit - Panasonic CXM710 50" 4K LED - Oculus Rift CV1

andrea.daviero
Explorer

I have a walkaround also to avoid plug/unplug:

1) Start oculus, 
2) Open device manager
3) in USB devices remove the two detected devices (both must be removed)
4) on the USB Controller main icon (on the device manager root) right click
5) Select "detect hardware modification"

It works exactly as plug/unplug. 
I'm "lucky" as my problem is Always that one and I need only one try.
I'm sure is a software problem. I hope the develops will fix it.

fishhunt
Expert Protege
did not work for me

fishhunt
Expert Protege
i have tried my oculus rift s on 3 computers  when you boot up it loses the usb. take the usb out then put it back in all working fine
so many people having this trouble  thinking it could be a batch of faulty units could be its not putting enough power to the usb
on boot up, so windows 10 dont recognise usb so it puts windows driver in

andrea.daviero
Explorer

fishhunt said:

i have tried my oculus rift s on 3 computers  when you boot up it loses the usb. take the usb out then put it back in all working fine
so many people having this trouble  thinking it could be a batch of faulty units could be its not putting enough power to the usb
on boot up, so windows 10 dont recognise usb so it puts windows driver in

I don't think is an hardware problem. However, to check this, it is necessary to try a working headset on the same pc.
The oculus rift drivers are launched/installed at oculus application start up. I think we need to push oculus to fix the software. My idea is that the drivers are not stable. Has anyone tried a functional rift s on the same computer that gives troubles with another rift s?

LegendBacon
Explorer
Hi everyone,

As people have mentioned here, this is a USB issue.
I have around 70 Oculus Rift S out there, on the same Windows update (1909), same laptop models, same Oculus App version, same Nvidia drivers, connected to the same networks, etc...

And yet for some reason only a third of them have this issue.

I haven't found the cause yet, but I've found a fix.

If your computer has a USB-C port, get a USB->USB-C adapter and use that with the Rift S. Reboot your computer, and now everything's green. No reinstall needed.

I've shipped the same adapter to ~20 clients, and it fixed the issue immediately for all of them.

I still don't understand why it only happens on some of our machines though.

I hope that helps!
Cheers,
~LegendBacon

andrea.daviero
Explorer
I'll check, I have a USB C port, I only need the adapter.

JD9852
Honored Guest
I did the firmware update and I'm getting this message again that it's connected and active but needs to restart. In device manager I see a Rift S Usb hub but I also see Unknown USB Device (link in compliance mode). In the bottom right hand corner I also get a message "We cant find your headset. Please connect your headset  {6D809377-6AFO-444B-8957-A3773F02200E}\Oculus\Support\Oculus-client\ . Can someone please help me? Customer support hasn't been able to help me fix it.