New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Software requires Quest update for link to work ... but there is no update :-(

ANB_SethANB_Seth Posts: 2
NerveGear
Hi there, I just got an update for the Oculus Software (v.12), but now the Oculus Quest Link does not work anymore. It says I have to update the Quest Headset aswell ... but there IS NO UPDATE available! How can I resolve this issue? Is there any way to revert the software update? I really want to get my "Oculus Link" back working again, I just got Boneworks installed and waited all day to play! XD
Tagged:

Comments

• II3urNzII3urNz Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited December 2019
    • Known issues:
      • In order to use Oculus Link, your PC software and Quest software must have matching version numbers. During this rollout, you may receive the v12 update on your Quest before you receive the PC v12 update, or vice versa. If you receive the PC v12 update before the Quest v12 update, you will need to wait until you receive the Quest v12 update before Oculus Link will work again. However, if you receive the Quest update first and are anxious to use Oculus Link again, you are welcome to opt into the PTC on PC to get to v12 more quickly. Please note that when v13 PTC rolls out, you will need to opt back out of the PTC and to stay on v12 and retain compatibility. The team is working hard to improve this experience so that this will not be an issue during future rollouts. We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding!
  • BearCat436BearCat436 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited December 2019
    opt into the PTC on PC to get to v12 more quickly did it for me.
    I always wanted to do this in VR ;)
    (sorry if it does offense someone)
    but this is cool!

• ANB_SethANB_Seth Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    thanks for the answers so far.

@BearCat436 does the PTC setting (on PC) also enhance my chances to get the update on the quest quicker? I thought that just works for the PC-Software.

@II3urNz how long will it take till the update will arrive on my quest? (i live in southern germany). Are we talking days, weeks or months? Just so I know what I have to prepare for in terms of "getting my hopes up or not"
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,416 Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2019
    The Quest v12 update is rolling out this week, so you should hopefully have it by the end of the week. You can check if it is available to you yet by looking in Settings/See All/About/Check For Updates.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • AstheniqueAsthenique Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi,
    I really enjoy everything you all done with the Quest, Link, Hand-tracking and everything, but honestly I have to say that I'm very disappointed that I can't use link while waiting for my Quest to update....
    I don't know if the team have to do it this way or if they chose to do it that way but if that's the case I don't understand.
    I just got my own and I'm very exited about it these days and I was finally able to play these fabulous games such as Stormland or Asgard's Wrath without being sick (tonight it was planned Blade & Sorcery...~crying~)
    I come back from work and .... that.
    Honestly, if you could just let us use the previous version on the PC so that we can use it as usual, it would be nice :)
    Just please don't take back from us what you just gave us...
    Anyway, I'm all with you and I'll try to be patient :D
  • jinxs2011jinxs2011 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    @ANB_Seth PTO makes you get pc oculus updates earlier. Both PC and quest need to be on the same version for it to work. Usually, that means keeping PTO disabled, as there's no equivalent for the quest. However, as it seems that the recent update has been rolled out to the quest before the PC in some cases, PTO could help the PC catch up temporarily. I would check your quest's version in the about page of the settings, and also on pc, to check the version numbers. If quest is v12 and pc is v12, you should be good to go.
    if your quest is v12 and pc is v11, use PTO.
    If your quest is v11 and pc is v12 and you aren't using PTO (which you may be able to turn off to get an earlier version of the pc software), I think you pretty much have to play the waiting game.
  • jinxs2011jinxs2011 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    unfortunately for me, using PTO actually makes my PC oculus version higher than my quest version, even though they're both v12, and it still doesn't work. So I'm just sitting here waiting for the update to come through.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,405 Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah, it's crazy.
    They release Link, then quickly break it by forced out of sync updates.
  • enigma01enigma01 Posts: 758
    3Jane
    jinxs2011 said:
    unfortunately for me, using PTO actually makes my PC oculus version higher than my quest version, even though they're both v12, and it still doesn't work. So I'm just sitting here waiting for the update to come through.
    Oh crap, I hope that hasn’t happened to me! I just got 12 update finally on my Quest this morning so enabled PC PTC. I haven’t tried Link again since update, but it could now be out of sync?😖
  • donutfreinddonutfreind Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    When I click on the "Enable PTC" it just freezes at the 51% on the update.
  • KarstenS80KarstenS80 Posts: 104
    Art3mis
    When I click on the "Enable PTC" it just freezes at the 51% on the update.
    It will look like that. Just wait a little bit longer. It will continue.
  • PochonatorPochonator Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Still no update for pc v12. PTC doesnt work for me. Quest is v12 already. Anyone else like this?
  • beepboopbop123beepboopbop123 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Still no update for pc v12. PTC doesnt work for me. Quest is v12 already. Anyone else like this?
    Same
  • bob.hillier.167bob.hillier.167 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    How long can we expect Oculus to take to get these version mismatch issues resolved? This is really poor software release management practice to allow this to occur.
  • ZeroStrike43062ZeroStrike43062 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Device got update v12, put pc into ptc got to v12..played for a few days, Sunday or Monday a new pc version came out call v12.041 which mismatched the device..took it out of ptc to roll to defaults and now my pc is pre-v12 so still not compatible....cant wait till we are out of beta because this 'work for a few days' and then break is frustrating..on the plus side beat saber is loaded on the device so I am getting much better as it's all I can play atm.

• DigitallywiredDigitallywired Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Link just stopped working today?
  • dcmasondcmason Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    SO yeah, now my PC has v13 via ptc and Quest is still on v12. Link broken... I'm cared to roll back off of the ptc from fear of getting some old version number like the other guy..Any tips on getting Quest to reach v13 quicker. Heard they base the roll outs on peoples online time.
  • Mike2268Mike2268 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    As above, suddenly my PC says update quest in headset but there is no update in quest headset, just bought the expensive oculus cable and link is broken? Please advise!
  • jstarrdewarjstarrdewar Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    @dcmason I just ran into same issue, un-unrolled from PTC, uninstalled Oculus, reinstalled Oculus and everything is working again.
  • enigma01enigma01 Posts: 758
    3Jane
    dcmason said:
    Any tips on getting Quest to reach v13 quicker. Heard they base the roll outs on peoples online time.
    Where did you hear that? Also you can’t get your Quest to update to a newer software version before Oculus have even started rolling it out to ANYONE! 
  • maxwell.lavendermaxwell.lavender Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    im having an issue where it says 'oculus app needs update' and it wont let me run oculus link...but theres no update
  • bruno.celsi.3bruno.celsi.3 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same for me here ...
  • iTesla8iTesla8 Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    If on PC app is v14 with PTC enabled and on Quest is v13 then that notification is due to different versions, you can ignore it.
    My Own PC Build: NZXT Source S340 White > Corsair RM1000i > Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming > CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.5Ghz > Deepcool Captain120 EX > RAM KHX2400C15/16G | 4pcs = 64GB > Asus GTX1070 Dual O8G > Samsung U32J59xUQ 4K > Realtek High Definition Audio > Intel SSD 760p Series PCIE/NVMe M2.1 1TB > Intel SSD 600p Series PCIE/NVMe M2.2 1TB > AZIO Retro Classic Copper > Razer Mamba Hyperflux = Oculus Quest/Link
  • ladycompugeekladycompugeek Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited February 9
    I had v12 on the PC and v13 on the Quest.  Had to enable the PTC channel on the PC and it updated to v14.  And when I plugged in the Quest after that, the PC had an additional Oculus Driver Update, now the PC still says the Quest needs to Update and the Quest has no update available, BUT If I Disregard That IT WORKS.
  • GanollumGanollum Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited February 9
    this solves the compatibility problems v13 quest v14 pc and the problem of detecting the headphone sound
  • TheTonaZTheTonaZ Posts: 55
    Brain Burst

now it works for me, but i have no audio mirrored on the default pc speakers....

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,514 Valuable Player
    im having an issue where it says 'oculus app needs update' and it wont let me run oculus link...but theres no update
    Apparently a lot of us are having that same issue.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • JeilongJeilong Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    dburne said:
    Apparently a lot of us are having that same issue.

Same here says i need an update but nothing is working i tried everything