cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

PS. The trailer did have a few scenes looking like full locomotion though - or cleverly hidden teleport controls 😉

https://youtu.be/O2W0N3uKXmo

Are you sure? It all looks rather static and scripted to me.

No, I'm not sure - could be scripted - but the very first scene did not look like standard teleport - but it's a trailer, they can do anything 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I'll try Stormland with 2.0 ss tonight. Also Rune, Boneworks is the first game I've ever played where I actually feel like I need/want more FOV!!!

I envy you with your Index!

Have you tried Boneworks with CV1 and then Index? Is the FOV really great with Index?

I really hope in the future we get a lot bigger FOV on all VR HMD's. After 3 years the FOV on CV1 and Rift S simply won't do.

I have to unplug the Index to use CV1 in SteamVR, and I have one basic rule: "You never unplug the Index (unless you need to after a firmware upgrade)", lol. I really don't want to risk any conflicts by using CV1 in SteamVR, especially when Index is working perfectly in SteamVR (haven't had problems for months). I only play Steam games using CV1 when these have native Oculus driver support and therefore can be played without starting SteamVR - like Boiling Steel, Alien Isolation, Polybius, Boneworks 2 VR and more. 

Index fov is great in Boneworks - it's the one game, due to the many awesome textures and possibility to use res 200%@90fps, where I really would not consider the CV1. Boneworks seems totally Index optimized, so I do not get grey blacks, at least not something I've noticed - like in Pistol Whip, Index shines in Boneworks. Also for the sound. 

BTW - one dude recently posted (note that 110 x 100 is 61% bigger than 85 x 80 and 38% bigger than 100 x 80 - just to provide some estimates): 

I don't know if I did it correctly but I did all headsets the same it should give you a comparison.

Here are my results:

(Horizontal, Vertical)

Index: H: 110 V:100

Quest: H:100 V:80

Rift S: H:85 V:80

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/e7rzp8/why_does_nobody_talk_about_the_small_rift_s_fov/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer
Interesting discovery I made the other day.

I use a switchable USB hub so I never have to unplug my headsets when switching from one to another. Well, a while ago I forgot to turn my Index on before I hopped into VR.

Surprisingly, I only discovered that after spending 30 minutes in Altspace VR - Index worked just fine without its USB switched on.

Not sure if my USB hub switch only turns its power on/off, or the whole power/data shebang. I'm guessing just the power, cause this discovery makes very little sense to me

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
For those planning on enjoying Alyx with the Index in March 2020, be careful not to plan for too long, lol - time may be running out 😉

Post image

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

PS. The trailer did have a few scenes looking like full locomotion though - or cleverly hidden teleport controls 😉

https://youtu.be/O2W0N3uKXmo

Are you sure? It all looks rather static and scripted to me.

Worth mentioning may be that Valve - since Alyx was introduced - has promised full locomotion. Still strange if it's not fully implemented yet:

svjupy48b2ys.jpg

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

For those planning on enjoying Alyx with the Index in March 2020, be careful not to plan for too long, lol - time may be running out 😉

Post image

I hope Index controllers eventually becomes available in Australia.  I def would like to kick my Vive Pro controllers to the side of the curb, lol!  At least they are useable and pretty robust, but no way as nice to use as my Rift CV1 touch controllers imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

RuneSR2 said:

Post image

I hope Index controllers eventually becomes available in Australia.  I def would like to kick my Vive Pro controllers to the side of the curb, lol!  At least they are useable and pretty robust, but no way as nice to use as my Rift CV1 touch controllers imho.

I think Touch and Knuckles each have their pros and cons, Touch is easier to use, but doesn't have the advanced functions that Knuckles have. Using Revive I really do not notice that Knuckles are now Touch - in fact Knuckles feel much more like holding a gun or a sword, like when I played Space Pirate Trainer last night. 
I think much comes down to if a game was primarily made for Touch or Knuckles. Like Boiling Steel - it really shines with Touch, but feels more cumbersome with Knuckles. But in games like Pistol Whip, Until You Fall and Boneworks I'd go for Knuckles and never look back 😉 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Once Valve Index Controllers (not called Knuckles anymore btw) are available in Australia and all issues like thumbstick clicking and long term drifting are sorted out, I will def look at buying these.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just saw this one, lol

https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/1196570241704136704

I'm sure the "I kid" refers to Luckey not having trouble finding great Index experiences 😉

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Funny how he never did a Quest or Index break-down video - suppose he was too busy... i kid , i kid!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959