cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift Build 12.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Update 1/6/2020: We've seen some positive results from the latest PTC update we pushed out late last week so we're now starting to roll that out to the live, non-PTC channel as well. As always, if you experience issues, please utilize the Help Center > Provide feedback option within the desktop software or contact customer support. Thanks!

Important notes:

• In order to use Oculus Link, your PC software and Quest software must have matching version numbers. During this rollout, you may receive the v12 update on your Quest before you receive the PC v12 update, or vice versa. If you receive the PC v12 update before the Quest v12 update, you will need to wait until you receive the Quest v12 update before Oculus Link will work again. However, if you receive the Quest update first and are anxious to use Oculus Link again, you are welcome to opt into the PTC on PC to get to v12 more quickly. Please note that when v13 PTC rolls out, you will need to opt back out of the PTC and to stay on v12 and retain compatibility. The team is working hard to improve this experience so that this will not be an issue during future rollouts. We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding!
  • In an effort to simplify our software update processes, we are aligning the software version numbers across all of our products. You will see this reflected starting in this release (v12). We will continue to post separate release notes for our PC software and the standalone / mobile headset software. For more information on our release processes, please review this FAQ post.

Rift S

• New social features powered by Facebook – Starting today, when you choose to log into Facebook from Oculus, you’ll be able to access new social features that make it easier for you to connect with other people, including:
    • Chats, so you can message your Oculus friends in or out of the headset with quick responses to hop into games together
    • Join your friends in VR directly from any device with links that open to where your friends are within an app.
    • User-created Events, so you can organize meetups or multiplayer games with friends
    • Share photos, videos, and livestreaming to Facebook, allowing you to share your favorite moments to Facebook Groups from VR
    • Parties that any of your Oculus friends can join (previously parties were only invite-only)
  • We’re updating the Oculus Privacy Policy to clarify that these social features are also provided by Facebook. The updated Privacy Policy clarifies how Oculus data is shared with Facebook to inform ads when you log into Facebook on Oculus.
  • Updated firmware to improve performance

Fixes

• Various bug fixes and stability improvements
If you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
306 REPLIES 306

The_Madhatter
Honored Guest

This update
rendered my CV1 completely useless. I have frame drops all the time. Fun fact:
If the sensors don't receive signals through motion, the frame rate is fine. A
soon as you start moving, the performance is all over the place. Could confirm this behavior with the OculusDebugTool 😞

eahonen
Explorer
Hello, I have a Rift S and after the update my frame rate has dropped drastically - from mostly solid 80 fps to 40-60 fps - in Assetto Corsa Competizione racing game. My other racing games (Dirt Rally, original Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2) seemed to run normally. ACC is built on Unreal Engine and I wonder if that might have something to do with the problem?

Bysolon
Honored Guest

eahonen said:

Hello, I have a Rift S and after the update my frame rate has dropped drastically - from mostly solid 80 fps to 40-60 fps - in Assetto Corsa Competizione racing game. My other racing games (Dirt Rally, original Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2) seemed to run normally. ACC is built on Unreal Engine and I wonder if that might have something to do with the problem?
I'm having exactly the same FPS problem dropped from 80 to 40 in Assetto corsa competizione

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

eahonen said:

How about Robo Recall = same Unreal Engine 4?

Also, what nvidia driver?  I'm using 436.48 because I think it is the most stable right now.  Also, Win10 1909 with latest updates.

Edit; I just tried Robo Recall and it works fine with my Rift CV1.  I also looked at the ACC discussion board and I did not see any problems relating to Oculus Software.

Very sorry to say this, and I hope I'm wrong, but there seems to be a lot of one-post wonders (or very low 1-4  post count wonders) polluting/trolling this and other forums right now imho.

I'm not really sure what can be done about this but for now I will not be offering any further  advice to any one-post wonders that have not at least seemed to try to get answers with a little Googling, or who have not started a ticket with Oculus Support.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Lokertr
Explorer
I am having terrible performance as well. I am constantly getting ASW on my Rift S. I have a 1080 and a Ryzen 7 1700. Movement is jittery. I attempted disabling gsync. I also disabled ASW entirely and see frame rates hitting about 50FPS. When my frame rate is down I am seeing App Miss Submit Count climbing into the thousands of frames a minute. While all this is going on my available headroom is usually at 99%+ and looking at task manager I am utilizing 30% or less of my CPU, GPU, and RAM.

Logs were submitted to Oculus, but so far no response or acknowledgement. Probably busy with all the new Quest owners given how they have been selling out everywhere.

Lokertr
Explorer

The_Madhatter
Honored Guest
I realized that the framedrops issue is even present in the Oculus Home Menu. It is not specifically tied to any app.

wheel80ie
Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:
Very sorry to say this, and I hope I'm wrong, but there seems to be a lot of one-post wonders (or very low 1-4  post count wonders) polluting/trolling this and other forums right now imho.

I'm not really sure what can be done about this but for now I will not be offering any further  advice to any one-post wonders that have not at least seemed to try to get answers with a little Googling, or who have not started a ticket with Oculus Support.

One-post wonder here. Sorry, why should I not openly put pressure on Oculus to fix this problem? They effectively bricked my sim racing setup! Which solution does google come up with, because certainly can't find one? Where is the easy way to roll back to the previous version?

eahonen
Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:

eahonen said:

How about Robo Recall = same Unreal Engine 4?

Also, what nvidia driver?  I'm using 436.48 because I think it is the most stable right now.  Also, Win10 1909 with latest updates.

Edit; I just tried Robo Recall and it works fine with my Rift CV1.  I also looked at the ACC discussion board and I did not see any problems relating to Oculus Software.

Strange logic: "one-post wonders" "polluting" the forums. How about those "1522 post wonders" who comment everything even when the have nothing constructive to say 🙂 Some of us write only when we haven't found help elsewhere.
But, anyway, I tested Robo Recall and that was running well so it's not simply Unreal Engine problem.
And I indeed have checked ACC forums but haven't found anything about this problem yet. If someone finds a solution, I would be grateful to hear about it because ACC is my main game at the moment. Thanks.
BTW my system is 9700K and RTX 2080.

wheel80ie
Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:
 I also looked at the ACC discussion board and I did not see any problems relating to Oculus Software.

Sorry, but no you didn't. 

Forums > Assetto Corsa Competizione - SUPPORT > ACC Virtual Reality

And how's that childish LOLing business supposed to help? How is not warning others going to help? Because apparently, Oculus builds can't be rolled back.