cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hand Tracking coming this week!

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Looks like we're getting our hands on this feature before the end of the year! It'll just be in Oculus menus and built-in apps at first, but the SDK releases next week, so developers can start including support in their apps soon.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo
26 REPLIES 26

kojack
MVP
MVP
My Quest finally updated to v12. I started the hand tracking and... oh.
The
accuracy of the fingers was pretty good, but the latency was bad. The hands didn't feel like my own, they lagged behind my movements,
and even slightly fast movement caused tracking loss.
Aiming my hands with my fingers pointing away (so the cameras could only see my arm and back of hand) lost tracking too.

In comparison, my Leap Motion can track as fast as I can move and the lack of obvious latency makes them actually feel like my hands. They can track in far more difficult poses. The only downside is the fingers aren't as accurate, but they react so fast my brain doesn't really care.

It seems like it would be convenient for some simple interactions.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yeah, I had a chance to finally play with it last night. Works about as I expected... good enough for menu navigation and simple interactions, but not robust enough for fast-paced gameplay. Still, it's a remarkable achievement for what it is--an after-the-fact add-on of new functionality using hardware that is already doing quite a bit of work.

Hopefully they can improve on the tracking losses that occur when hands move too quickly or get too close together. This isn't going to replace controllers for any but the simplest of games, but it could be quite useful for getting around the Home menus and for media playback controls.

Overall, I continue to be quite impressed with the Quest platform, and how much performance and functionality they've been able to wrangle out of it.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

enigma01
Trustee
Just been trying the hand tracking, I can see their being definite potential. I totally agree with the feedback of others here. I also found that you lose tracking when you place one hand behind the other (your virtual hands completely vanishes from view actually). 

I also think most games I currently play make great use of the haptic feedback, how would you feel about losing this in a games that make use of hand tracking?

I was hoping to be able to use the Oculus browser and type on the virtual keyboard more naturally, but you still have to pinch to select each letter. 

kojack
MVP
MVP
Here's a video I just made with a Leap Motion stuck to the front of my Quest, to compare the tracking of both systems at once.

I synced the videos using touch controller movement (not seen in this extract) so the lag in the video for Quest was the hand tracking, not the video source.

Both have issues, but the Quest lost tracking far more often. The leap also handled close tracking better (and it was sticking out from the Quest, so it was even closer to my hands).

The lighting conditions also favoured the Quest. The Leap works purely with IR, using a short range IR spotlight to light up your arms more than the background, but outside there was a lot of IR in the background. The Quest works with visible light (and IR for the controllers).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Yep, at the moment it's fun to play with, but even for simple navigation, I found I'd abandon it for controllers after a short time. Hopefully there'll be improvements made over the coming weeks and months.

kojack
MVP
MVP
It's pretty cool what they've managed to get working, but I've seen people acting like this is the end of controllers.

Remember this?
It didn't do so well.

For me there's one main use for finger tracking that I'm interested in: cockpit controls in conjunction with a wheel or HOTAS. But there's two problems with that:
- Quest can't run full PC flight/space/driving sims (Link doesn't count since it can't do finger tracking)
- Most controls in a virtual cockpit will cause me to hit my hands on my table/monitor/etc.

For things like media browsing it's probably fine, but for that I'd prefer the Oculus remote with gaze tracking, it's far smaller, lighter and unobtrusive than even the Go controller (and doesn't fall over or roll around).

Although when the SDK comes out (come on Oculus, you release a new feature but don't let developers actually make anything for it until a week after consumers get it?) I might see how well it handles my idea for game cockpit calibration. Often your HOTAS or wheel won't match the position in the VR world. Imagine if using the hand tracking you could grip the controls and the game would move the virtual ones to match your hand position. For example when you start a racing game it asks you to grip the wheel at 9 and 3, so it learns where the wheel is relative to your tracking origin. Then the wheel in the game is adjusted.

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer
Well I tested it yesterday and there have to be a lot of improvements. Hands looking to jittery and the Quest is loosing handtracking too often. It is kind of wierd to see the own hands in VR but nothing to use seriuosly at this state of development.
Meta Facebook Community Accelerator 2022 winner
Facebook Community Partner
Founder of the Meta Quest VR Familie - The largest German Facebook Group for VR and Metaverse
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusvrgermany/