cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entire system is crashing after a while watching VR video on the quest

KarstenS80
Adventurer
Everytime when watching VR Videos on my quest, after a while (mostly between 5 and 30 minutes) the system of my quest is crashing completely.

Sometimes it does an auto reboot. Othertimes I get stuck in a screen that tells me "tracking has stopped working".

Makes no difference if I watch in the browser or in the Skybox player.

Is it just me having this issue?

Had it with V11 and it keppt crashing with V12.
6 REPLIES 6

Is it just happening with video playback or has it ever happened during a game? If it's just video viewing I think we could rule out heat or power management issues. It's unlikely to be a codec issue either if it plays at least 5 minutes.

Wonder if something is timing out, relating to the headset or controllers being stationary and triggering something. As an experiment, to narrow things down, you could try moving your controllers periodically just to see if that prevents your crashes.

I've not experienced any crashes and I've played full-length movies from NAS and streamed TV shows from the BBC iplayer with no crashes so I'm only guessing. A factory reset may be a good thing to try too.

NorgePlayzYT
Protege

Everytime when watching VR Videos on my quest, after a while (mostly between 5 and 30 minutes) the system of my quest is crashing completely.

Sometimes it does an auto reboot. Othertimes I get stuck in a screen that tells me "tracking has stopped working".

Makes no difference if I watch in the browser or in the Skybox player.

Is it just me having this issue?

Had it with V11 and it keppt crashing with V12.

That happend to me as well. I am not only one. It's also crashing when i'm connecting to my computer with Virtual Desktop. So there is something with streaming issues

Anonymous
Not applicable
Using Skybox here with no issues.

KarstenS80
Adventurer
Had not much time to look into this. I tried the suggested "you could try moving your controllers periodically just to see if that prevents your crashes".

In my first tests I tired with both controllers within the line of sight of the cameras. The first time moving them around. The second time I let then stand within the area. No crash so far.

I will test next days more.

Regarding to the issue: If there is an connection to the "visiblity" to the controllers ... the crashes also happen, when I have tracking disabled in the settings to be able to watch a video in a completely dark room.

KarstenS80
Adventurer
I think I coud trace it down.

It happens when:

• tracking is turned off
and
  • the room is completely dark

It seems to do very different things. Sometime it does an automatic reboot.

In other cases I get the message that tracking isn't working as the room is to dark (which was the reason I turned it off).

-> And here are 2 diffrent versions too:

1.) 3 DOF is still working, I can see the controllers, but they don't react on rotation or button press

2.) Even 3 DOF isn't working anymore. So the window with the message is fixed on the screen like the bootup logo.

In all cases I have to do a reboot to get the device working again.

So for some reason it is doing something with the cameras while 6DOF tracking is disabled and whatever it does, it leads to an entire system issue after some time being in a dark room.

Torsten4385
Honored Guest
Having the same issue... happens in a dark room with disabled tracking in Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Either it crashes completly with that annoying sound and auto reboots or it randomly shows the "tracking is not working" message with an ok button that is nearly immposible to hit.

The controllers are still working, but the white pointing line is not visible, so you have no clue where the controller points to. If I somehow manage to get your controller over the "OK" button, everything is back to normal (until the next crash / tracking lost message).