New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Link Cable Thread

Comments

• enigma01enigma01 Posts: 980
    3Jane
    Chaoss said:
    Don't use Amazon if you're in the UK to get your cables, even if they are advertised as working with the Quest, I just got scammed and I'm not happy. I've attached the image of the exact cable I've just wasted my money on, as you can see lots of people are being ripped off>

Its advertised as a quick charge cable, with only 480Mbps data speed (so usb 2.0) Link needs usb 3.0 with 5Gbps at least to work. The cable should charge the Quest yes, but not run Link. 
  • hurtzPThurtzPT Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hello 
    Im from europe and i buy this cable in a phonehouse shop. It works perfectly.
  • Cirkeline666Cirkeline666 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    www. av-cables.dk/usb-c-3-1-til-usb-b-3-0/tether-tools-tetherpro-usb-c-til-usb-b-3-0-4-6-m.html

this is pretty expensive (about 50$) but works perfectly for me and it's 4,6 meter (15 feet). (european link but probably a US cable)

Also tried a noname usb-c to usb-c with a c to usb 3.0 converter, didnt work at all.
  • NeptunetqNeptunetq Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I got these 3 things and it's worked like a charm.  26ft of cable too :)

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GIO5R2C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7NNJ61/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JK1G6W2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • VoidRippahVoidRippah Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    UGreen USB 3.0 A to A active extension (10m) with a 90cm Anker USB 3.1 A to C cable works flawlessly (does not charge fast enough though, at least without connecting a charger cable to the extension, but that was to be expected at this length)
  • Smithers-1968Smithers-1968 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Has anyone found a magnetic connector that works? 
    The games I want to play on PC at the moment are seated types like rally and flight sims so a standard cable with a clothes peg attaching it to the head strap works but I'd be happier knowing that if I do something stupid it'll just pull out.
  • JohnnyDioxinJohnnyDioxin Posts: 2,722 Valuable Player
    My connection with the JOTO cable has been tenuous, to say the least. I lost patience this evening and plugged it into my 7 port switched and powered USB 3.0 hub and it works just great now - which it hadn't when I first tried the set-up.

This means I actually get a lot more length to play with - the cable had been causing me problems when plugged into the bracket at the rear of my PC due to its releatively short length, so this is great news as the powered hub it is now plugged into sits on my desktop.

I don't think they are available any more - but at least it shows that this kind of set-up can work.

USB HUB

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
    Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
  • lily.law.779857lily.law.779857 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Can the link cable be used to expand the storage on the Quest by reading games straight from the PC? (hoping this is relevant here, thanks guys!)
    3Jane
    edited December 2019
    Can the link cable be used to expand the storage on the Quest by reading games straight from the PC? (hoping this is relevant here, thanks guys!)
    It’s not going to expand storage as such. The games I’m playing through Link are Rift library games, such as Asgard’s and Stormland. I guess if there is a cross play game you decide you prefer to play over Link you could uninstall from the Quest and that would free up space. Games using Link are installed on your PC, not on the headset.
  • DenisBouyerDenisBouyer Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hey, I got a Joto 10ft USBC 3.1 to USB3.0 cable and it seemed to work once, bringing me to the Rift home like planned. Also I saw that Windows detected the device since there was a small icon under the device category in the taskbar.

But now that I'm trying again the PC nor the Oculus app detect the Quest anymore. Nothing pops up in Windows when I plug the headset and nothing pops up in the headset (that one time it asked me if I wanted to allow USB transfer or something like that). I tried rebooting, updating, getting into the BETA and then out, using different ports, etc. but nothing fixes it. It's very odd as it worked once so it's not the cable that is the problem I'd say.

Any idea where that could come from? I really don't know what to do...

3Jane

Are you on version 12 of both Quest and PC Software, or has one updated before the other? That could be why...
  • SteveG7RTASteveG7RTA Posts: 155
    Art3mis
    Chaoss said:
    Don't use Amazon if you're in the UK to get your cables, even if they are advertised as working with the Quest, I just got scammed and I'm not happy. I've attached the image of the exact cable I've just wasted my money on, as you can see lots of people are being ripped off>

Isn’t this meant as a charging cable the Quest?
    you can’t say “don’t use Amazon UK” based on just one product (& it looks like you bought a charging cable)

I bought these two from Amazon (UK) & they work well.

Regards
    Steve
  • DenisBouyerDenisBouyer Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited December 2019
    enigma01 said:

Are you on version 12 of both Quest and PC Software, or has one updated before the other? That could be why...
    Thanks for the answer. Not sure how to check that. My version on the Quest seems to be 11.0.0.180etc (tells me there are no updates available) while my pc app says 1.43.0.324220?
  • LadybugbugLadybugbug Posts: 1
    NerveGear

Saw this 10m cable .... not tested ....

There are some video of it showing it is working ....
  • gregor616gregor616 Posts: 88
    Hiro Protagonist
    Spuzzum said:
    Yes that is it, works great once it is powered. 
    Oculus Quest 
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700, GeForce RTX 2060 Super, 32GB, Asus B450 Motherboard
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 843
    3Jane
    gregor616 said:
    Spuzzum said:
    Yes that is it, works great once it is powered. 

I was thinking of picking it up, just as a powered hub. Even someone on Reddit said he stays at 100% internal battery, but direct from the motherboard's usb port. Suddenly I feel inadequate. :P
  • FleurroseFleurrose Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited December 2019
    hurtzPT said:
    Hello 
    Im from europe and i buy this cable in a phonehouse shop. It works perfectly.
     thanks you for the information but 18 is a little bit expensive 
  • NunyabinezNunyabinez Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    edited December 2019
    Sorry, I thought I had it working again, but it stopped again
    i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest
  • BearCat436BearCat436 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I have tried a bunch of cables and these ones does work very well, save the $$ for games :)

• KarstenS80KarstenS80 Posts: 104
    Art3mis

deleyCON 3,0m USB-C 3.0 Ladekabel Schnellladekabel USB 3.1 Gen 1 Typ-C auf USB A 

Is working. But for me 3m is a little bit short when I stand up and walk around.
  • hhammer57hhammer57 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    still waiting for the official cable, does anybody know when it will be availalble? Originally it was supposed to be November....
    3Jane
    hhammer57 said:
    still waiting for the official cable, does anybody know when it will be availalble? Originally it was supposed to be November....
    When did Oculus say November? They said Link would be available in November (which it was) and the cable available “Later this year” in OC6 and Link blog posts, and this will only be in selected regions. 
  • GazbowskiGazbowski Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I bought these two from Amazon (UK) & they work well.

Regards
    Steve
    I bought these and can confirm the Anker cable will work by itself if connected to any of the USB 3.1 ports on my PC but if I use the UGREEN cable to extend it then only the Gen 2 ports will work, which is annoying as the Gen 2 ports are at the back of the PC but in the absence of an official cable I'll take it :)
  • BlackEagleGermanyBlackEagleGermany Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited December 2019
    Fresh n Rebel 1,5m USB-C Kabel 14,99€ 

(i cant post the link, because forum didnt let me do it, i dont no why.)

für sitzen reicht es, ansonsten hab ich eine USB 3.0 Verlängerung von meinem alten WLAN Adapter ;)
    Art3mis
    Here is kind of a weird option, but I bought the first one which is a 90 degree angled USB C to A 1 foot cable to connect to a powerbank strapped to the back. I thought I would give it a try for Link because the Joto cable that worked at first, just stopped working (Oculus App claims not to be 3.1 anymore).

The combination of the short cable plus the passive works if I put in on my powered hub, or directly out of the PC if I use the active cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01932JAIS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7SA21U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMFB5OK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered this cable which is coming today https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7S9211/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I expect it to be a better solution and it should work because others have reported success.
    i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest
  • KoshIrelandKoshIreland Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    How can you tell when there’s a problem with the cable, versus a problem with something else in the setup such as USB ports, driver issues etc?

I bought the 1.8m version of the recommended Anker cable to test out Oculus Link before trying to get a longer cable. 

When I connect the Quest to my computer (iMac 2017 running Windows under Boot Camp, with Radeon 575 GPU), the Oculus app in Windows says the headset and controllers are connected. When I put on the headset I’m prompted to enable Link. 

After enabling Link, the headset goes dark, a progress spinner/bar appears, and then several seconds later I get a message in the headset that Oculus Link has stopped. 

If I retry multiple times, eventually I get a message that Link has “repeatedly stopped”.

I’ve  tried all the USB ports on the iMac, and even tried a different USB-C to USB-C cable, all with identical results. 

Any ideas on how to debug this?
    Art3mis
    How can you tell when there’s a problem with the cable, versus a problem with something else in the setup such as USB ports, driver issues etc?

I bought the 1.8m version of the recommended Anker cable to test out Oculus Link before trying to get a longer cable. 

When I connect the Quest to my computer (iMac 2017 running Windows under Boot Camp, with Radeon 575 GPU), the Oculus app in Windows says the headset and controllers are connected. When I put on the headset I’m prompted to enable Link. 

After enabling Link, the headset goes dark, a progress spinner/bar appears, and then several seconds later I get a message in the headset that Oculus Link has stopped. 

If I retry multiple times, eventually I get a message that Link has “repeatedly stopped”.

I’ve  tried all the USB ports on the iMac, and even tried a different USB-C to USB-C cable, all with identical results. 

Unfortunately, having struggled with this from the first day it was released, my conclusion is that Link is not in Beta, it is really in Alpha. I don't know if the Quest is hobbled with ultra-sensitive hardware, if it just needs a firmware update, or if this is all a ploy to make us buy the expensive Oculus cable when it comes out in frustration after wasting hours trying to make other options work. I hope that this can be solved with a firmware update that will allow more cables to work since there actually isn't a need for that huge of a data stream, but apparently it requires stable power. But I'm afraid I will have spent a fortune in cables trying to get it to work, only to buy the Oculus cable when it comes out.

I would suspect that your problem is the result of not having just the right qualities in your cable. The only way to troubleshoot is to find a cable that someone else has verified works. However, everything is squirrelly. Even a cable that someone else says works, may not work for you.

For example, I had the Joto cable first. I worked for a few days. When V12 came out it stopped working. Still don't know if it was the software or the cable that failed. It still charges, but won't be recognized as a 3.0 cable anymore. I got a 1' cable to work with an active cable from the back ports, or a passive cable from my hub. When I got the Anker 10' cable, it works from the hub and the back ports, but not with either the active or passive cable from the back or from the hub.

The short of all this is that maybe you'll get lucky and get just the right combination of cables extenders and adapters to make a cable long enough to be worth using, but more likely than not, you'll be stuck with a cable that is too short or one that is sketchy.

I also tried to test things on my iMac 5k when my gaming PCs were not working. I initially got the Joto to work on the iMac, though the video card is nowhere near capable of actually running a game, so it is possible that your Mac with Boot Camp could marginally run Link.
  • nschlipnschlip Posts: 21
    Brain Burst

I had a similar issue at times, and after enabling PTC it started working again. Note, once you enable that (under the Beta tab in the Oculus application) it'll download 10 updates, and then restart the Oculus app, then ask you to install and updated driver for the Quest - just follow the prompts.

Per Oculus:
    In order to use Oculus Link, your PC software and Quest software must have matching version numbers. During this rollout, you may receive the v12 update on your Quest before you receive the PC v12 update, or vice versa. If you receive the PC v12 update before the Quest v12 update, you will need to wait until you receive the Quest v12 update before Oculus Link will work again. However, if you receive the Quest update first and are anxious to use Oculus Link again, you are welcome to opt into the PTC on PC to get to v12 more quickly. Please note that when v13 PTC rolls out, you will need to opt back out of the PTC and to stay on v12 and retain compatibility. The team is working hard to improve this experience so that this will not be an issue during future rollouts. We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding!
  • ShiiShii Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    Official cable is now on sale in Oculus Store.
    https://www.oculus.com/quest/accessories/

Intel Core i7-7700K, Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming, 32Gb RAM, MSI RTX 2080 8Gb Gaming X Trio
    3Jane
    Shii said:
    Official cable is now on sale in Oculus Store.
    https://www.oculus.com/quest/accessories/

What’s your location? It’s not available for me to order in the UK yet...