cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest and random WIFI lost issues

JohSm67
Rising Star
Hi,

Some people are reporting that they get "Wifi connection is lost" randomly during usage! So do I....

I have not been digging to deep in to this yet.
But when checking around in forums there are some reports telling you that it might occur when you are using the same SSID on dualband (2,4 & 5 GHz) wifi routers / AP's! (Or if it's simply occuring if it switches between AP's)

I'm using like 4 Ubiquiti Unifi AP's in the house with a Cloudkey controller.
It's feels like it's working ok, have not seen this on other WIFI devices in my setup. But it could simply happen in the background on other devices. 

The Oculus Quest seems to loose the connection and reestablish it for me randomly, the closest AP is only like 2 meters from the Oculus Quest.
So it's abit annoying when information popup randomly during gameplay. (Yesterday while streaming to FB)

Any one else been experience it and found a solution for it? Known issue with Oculus?

I will test to create a dedicated SSID using the 5GHz band for all AP's only, to see if it helps and might be related to using the same SSID on 2,4 & 5 GHz.
If that do not help, I will try to use a Single AP using same SSID on 2,4 & 5 GHz, to see if it could be relate to switching between AP's.
Last test would be to use one SSID on the 5GHz band and a singel dedicated AP.

This will take some time to test as it's randomly occuring, so any other feedback on the issue from you out there would be nice!

By the way, are there any way to extract a local WIFI / Event log, from the Oculus Quest to investigate it easier?

Regards
Johan
JohSm
92 REPLIES 92

Viteok8909
Honored Guest
I don't understand to much about what is happening but i  loose WIFI connection so often that is unplayable.

chrisgindi
Honored Guest
I have a Synology Mesh and same thing, every 15-20 minutes the wifi drops and the only easy to get Quest to reconnect is to turn off wifi and then turn it back on in the headset.  Oh and I own an IT company so I know it's setup correctly.  Oculus team, please patch your device!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have Netgear ORBI, with one router and two satellite devices. I have installed and setup SWIFI as this thread recommends, and I have seen no improvement. Still get disconnected as often as before. Always with the "authentication error". Not sure what I am doing wrong, or if there is any other solution. Thanks for any help.

RickyFish89
Honored Guest
same issue here, also on Orbi and just got a Quest yesterday. I'm not going to telnet into my router and each sattelite to separate the 2.4 and 5ghz SSIDs, and then reconfigure every device on my wifi network all for Quest. Hopefully a fix or comment comes from Oculus soon to lock to 5ghz or 2.4ghz only or be able to better re-connect when switching, because I can't justify having this device without wifi and only having wifi for 10 minutes at a time is not sufficient. Luckily the return window is fairly generous for the holidays so I've got a little bit of time, but I don't have much hope since it seems to be a known issue for 6 months with no word.

Adamfromabove
Honored Guest
Same problem.. Just spent £500.. First day... 10+ WiFi drops on orbi mesh system

Unfortunately it's going to have to go back. What an absolute design flaw or software issue.. Makes it unusable for so many people. People who buy tech like this also buy other tech products like mesh networks. 

IchspieleCC
Honored Guest
Count me in. But I have a router and repeaters from AVM (Fritz!). The problem persisted with every update they introduced. I just don't want to rename my 5 and 2.4 Ghz networks, as I want my Mesh to work properly.

Kissenschlachte
Explorer
Same problem here. Mesh with same SSID on 2.4 and 5 GHz. AVM FRITZ!Box 7590 and FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 1750E. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had the disconnects with DD-WRT, the cause was TKIP used by WPA2-PSK, i've switched to CCMP-AES and it started working flawlessly. Could be your issue as well. Should check in the wireless security sections somewhere.

phear4ever
Honored Guest
Same problem here, every 10-15min loosing wifi connection on oculus quest only 5 meters away from the wifi router - happening on a FRITZ!Box 7590 (one of the best routers on the EU market)

KarstenS80
Adventurer
As already wrote in the Quest forum I have the same issue. Random disconnects and in the WLAN windows I can see the "Authentication error" too.

My setup is a WLAN Mesh with the components: AVM FritzBox 7580 + AVM FRITZ!Powerline 1260E

Both operate in the 2,4 (g, n) and 5 GHz (ac) band and in Auto-Mode both use different channels for the bands.

The connection of the Quest is shown as: 5 GHz ↓866  ↑866 ac/ 80 MHz, WPA2, 2 x 2, 11k, 11v, MU-MIMO

I have activated extended logs in the FritzBox. Maybe I can see here what exactly is the cause.