cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1's screens turn off and on randomly during play.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The screen will go dark but no "Device Disconnected" error. I can still play, just without any visuals. My screens will randomly flick off and back on again with seemingly no influence at all. As of right now, this has only happened in Boneworks. I'm going to try playing other games to see if the issue is with my device. 

If the problem does come from my device, I'm thinking it might be my HMD cable. It's rather twisted up at the headset end. I cleaned the contacts and they both look perfectly fine. No bent or corroded pins whatsoever. 

(Edit) I tested it with beat saber and I get the same issues. I think its important to mention that the screens going black is the only symptom. I still have audio and tracking but no screens. Both in and out of Steam VR 

Tested in 
  • Boneworks (SteamVR)
  • Beatsaber (SteamVR)
  • Stormlands (Oculus)
9 REPLIES 9

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Maybe try reseating your video card.  Also, check and reseat your monitor connections.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
ill try reseating but m monitor doesn't turn off when the oculus does.
I think if the graphics card was the issue, my monitor would probably mimic the rifts issue as well tho im no computer boi so I can't say anything for sure.
(Edit) Graphics card reseated and issue persists
I should also note that when the screen goes black, the sensor does not change. When I remove it off my head, it returns to white, like normal. I tried covering the sensor with my thumb and the screens remained off.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Well maybe you are best to contact Oculus Support and see if they can pinpoint your problem by reviewing your logfiles.  I guess you could also try using a different usb port and make sure you do not have any power savings enabled.  Good luck mate.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

parsecn
Heroic Explorer
Are you lucky enough to have a friend with a CV1 who will allow you to swap out the HMD cable for testing? It's an easy way to eliminate the potential of a damaged cable. 

Teigue
Explorer
It's classic symptomes of a worn out HMD cable,

I own 2 rift CV1 & play Echo Arena a lot, I got my 5th cable, they worn out really fast in a games like echo arena, you start to see black screen but your USB is still connected so you hear audio & mic is working & the software isn't written in a good way so sometimes it just crashes & you need to plug out & plug in HDM cable again to get it work even if a wire contact was fixed.

Unfortunately cables are not on the market now, but after contacting Oculus Support, it took a while but they were kind enough to send me a replacement.

They need to manufacture these cable or open license so Chinse companies can start produce them.
The CV1 headset is quite successfull headset, its comfortable, tracking is good, touches are bad as buttons start to stick on but it's the best touches I ever tried, I don't like new inverted rings as they feels lighter & cheaper, but good enough to play, but original touches were brilliant & cables don't last long but other than this it's briliant headset, so give us a cables!

Maxxgold
Rising Star
This can also happen if there are issues with the USB port you are using. It defiantly could be the cable, but I would try changing USB ports, and restarting your PC and the Oculus software. This will occasionally happen to me, and to fix it I just restart my PC, and that solves it. And, it doesn’t give the no devices disconnected error either. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I did all the basic IT nonsense (turning it off and on again, unplugging, changing USB slots, etc.) I'm pretty sure the cable is faulty. I got a replacement coming shipping here pretty soon. I'll keep everyone posted.

miguelwhitney
Explorer
Good luck! If that cable is good, you might need to go with a breakout box with its own power supply. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
After some mild tinkering(And taping) I found that it was a loose wire inside my headset cable. I pinched the cable on the twisted end and taped the hell out of it and now it works fine. Im gonna get a new cable for sure but the cable is definitely the issue.