cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zhang Xiao's Works Show and Suggestions

z545077624
Explorer

I have been using this software for hundreds of hours. Generally speaking, the software is awesome! For artists with only basic knowledge of painting, this is undoubtedly the best method and solution to learn 3D.

Forgot to say, I am Zhang Xiao from China.

Actually, few people around us use this tool, so when I first started to use this software, I just gave it a try. However, due to the cross-generational performance of this software, I stick with it easily and have used it for hundreds of hours.

Oculus Medium is currently one of our main game development software. Today I will share some of my works and suggestions to express our urgent need for some new functions of the software. I believe this is also something that many related industry practitioners and users desperately need.

The first part is my work display. The following works are a small part of the models we have made recently.

l1npixqr6wbp.png

The first thing to note is that all the monsters were made by Oculus Medium. Because I didn't have the awareness at the beginning of the production, I didn't record the video of the modeling process.

However, I have all the project files, and all models were rendered with Blender, and used in our independent game called Infiltrated Rust, which is tentatively scheduled to enter steam in May next year.

8yf0wa7o3il3.png

18yc802crbu4.png

These two pictures are also carved with Oculus Medium. Back to the topic, we used the function of stamp to make the monster's fin part and all fish heads.

Oculus Medium is extremely convenient for making some random effects, and the entire model was completed in less than two hours. It can be seen from this model that if Oculus Medium has a skeletal system, it will definitely be more vivid than it is now.

fxafa93owhwl.png

Oculus Medium software has some unique advantages in making some machinery, but some details, such as the texture of the octopus's wrists, have to be processed again with other software.

Anyway, there is no more convenient way to make wires than VR.

40 REPLIES 40

z545077624
Explorer
3agnul6wgy5a.png Nothing to say, but it's interesting.

z545077624
Explorer
r8x17ur3573d.png

A big gorilla

z545077624
Explorer
9n6tbu64i1u0.png

A bike

z545077624
Explorer

I found that Oculus Medium can make hair.

z545077624
Explorer
4kayu588gf3b.png

Another sophisticated model made entirely by Oculus Medium. It won't take long to make it, just about a day.

z545077624
Explorer
naq3s8si2hbs.png

This is one of the strongest monsters in our game. It took me two days; if there was a skeletal system, it would take one day.

z545077624
Explorer

I also made a video on YouTube.

http s://ww w.you tube.com/watch?v=D2QWS6nTPiM&t=77 5s

use medium to make this

1dsbygj6oxe5.png

f0pkdc5sybva.png

z545077624
Explorer

As far as I know, almost no one can use this software to work here, but I think that more people will be attracted to join in soon by promoting some good works.

For some reasons, such as technical and cultural reasons, most of our indie game makers are extremely hard. It is often the case that one person is responsible for multiple types of work. At the same time, they also have to work around to earn a living.

The emergence of such software has greatly reduced our pressure. Thus, we sincerely expect it to be better in the future. Because in this way, we will have absolute confidence to dedicate ourselves to make better game works!

Here are some suggestions, which is my second part.

I hope that this software can be used from the beginning to the end, that is, except for the rendering part, it can complete modeling from the beginning to the end without importing other software. However, after hundreds of hours of production, my feelings about this software is that it cannot complete all the details. It lacks some basic features, making it very difficult to produce some of the commonly used game models today. For example, carving a polyhedral sphere is hard for this software. In addition, it is also very difficult to make some multi-angle symmetry, such as the pattern of bicycle tires and spokes of wheels, or carve the details of the five features based on the engraving system of Boolean.

We should use new technologies closer to VR, which is more convenient and accurate, instead of copying software like ZBRUSH. Nevertheless, in view of the fact that the corresponding technology cannot be reached at present, some functions are still required.

First of all, this software should add a mask system. Although its detail processing is not as perfect as other engraving software, it will develop in the near future. For example, things like the details of the facial features, the pattern of the cloth, and the folds of the clothes cannot be made without a mask. With a mask system, I do not need to import other software to do a lot of processing or rely on the random effects of the software itself.

Secondly, it lacks the form of connecting straight lines or even faces with points in space. Because lines and arcs cannot be made in VR as easily as on a digital screen, it is very important to use dots to connect lines or surround the surface. Anyone who is proficient in product design and modeling knows how to show volume quickly with two cross sections,which is actually the core of modeling. Only accurate cross sections can produce accurate models. At present, we can only build a rough cross section in space, which does not give full play to the speed advantage of VR modeling; and I often need to spend a lot of time correcting the resulting errors.

Thirdly, a more flexible stamp system is needed. The angle of the stamp in this system now is fixed, and there existed some errors. As a result, I think it should be allowed to to rotate at all angles, otherwise it will not perform as it should do in linear mode. The current situation is that I have to re-roll a stamp a few degrees in another piece of software and then input it back, which is very inconvenient.

The fourth is about the skeletal system. The skeletal system is a troublesome thing in any kind of software production. Observing various bones in VR will be more convenient. Moreover, the skeleton is not only for post-animation, but also has great convenience in the process of sculpting people.

Fifthly, it requires a more advanced symmetrical system. Now it is very difficult to make some multi-angle symmetrical effects and some spiral effects. This leads to difficulties in making some common props.

Lastly, I hope that the technique of using soft clay to make sculptures in reality can be realized in VR sculpture. For example, if I make a portrait of a character in reality, when I carve the character ’s eyes, I will choose a piece of soft clay and use fingers or tools to rub it into strips, paste it on the selected location of the work, and then shape it. This will not only greatly improve the work efficiency and accuracy of the model, but also increase the interest and sense of achievement of your own work.

Having said all this, I just hope that this software can go further in professional modeling software field and can bring greater convenience to us independent game makers. 

The above six points are sorted according to the importance of my opinion, and I consider the mask system is the most urgent.

Finally, I would like to say that we hope to use this software from the beginning to the end in game art, rather than just in the early stage.

z545077624
Explorer
Any need to communicate 
my email
z545077624@gmail.com

z545077624
Explorer
New works!
60anc7kpbvut.png
dpc9701v756w.png84rgfspd18v4.png